Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Default Aldi rechargeable shaver - battery replacement?

In article ,
Lobster writes:
I don't suppose anyone has one of those Aldi rechargeable foil shavers
and has taken the plunge and replaced the batteries inside it?

(FYI for non-UK readers - this is a cheap UK supermarket own brand!)

Aldi is owned by Wall-Mart, although most stores are a much
higher proportion food goods than Wall-Marts are.

Mine is about 2 years old, and works fine except that the built-in
batteries are pretty-well gone; it now just holds charge for about a day
or two's shaving, but soon it will be only possible to use it tethered
by its mains cable/charger.

I've opened it up and the batteries (AA or AAA size) are concealed by a
plastic housing and circuit board to which they are soldered. Any
further surgery now on my part will involve breaking into the housing,
which I think will carry a high risk of killing the shaver altogether,
which would be a pity! I can't see any easy way in.

So I'm just wondering whether anyone else has been down this road before
me and successfully opened up one of these to replace the batteries?

I've done this a number of times with shavers and beard trimmers,
and kept some old ones going for years. Mine were all Ni-Cds which
are getting harder to find nowadays. At 2 years old, yours almost
certainly isn't NiCds, more likely NiMH. I guess there might be some
products with Lithium polymer batteries at the top of the range.
NiMH with solder tags are easy to find.

Can't comment on the ease of disassembly of your unit. If the shaver
was waterproof, I would not assume it still will be. If the shaver
brings in mains directly, then you must be particularly careful to
reassemble with any insulation barriers in the right place.

--
Andrew Gabriel