Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Convergence solved Hitachi 50dx10b

Snagged a free 2001 50" projection TeeWee Hitachi 50DX10B. It powered
up OK.The convergence was way off, mostly blue to the right and up.
Gave a surreal 3D effect to text on the screen. Not knowing what I was
looking for, I took the front panel off, discovered the screen and
focus controls; figgered them out and improved the picture somewhat..
I googled the convergence issue, and lots of blogs on this problem
with this set, lots of 'can;t do it/blue won't adjust' stuff. All
said I need the factory remote to acess the DCAM and save the ROM
setting. I don't have one.. Mine doesn't have 'Magic Focus' button,
but does have 'Digital Array' button. Pressing that put an alignment
pattern on the screen. Using a One For All Big Easy remote, the
'Shift' button enabled adjustment, using the Vol and Channel buttons.
Shift once selected the red, shift again selected the blue crosses for
adjustment.
The picture is now as good as projection can do.
Also swapped out the cheesy 6" speakers for some nice 3 way drivers.
Sound is Much better.
The set is incredibly dirty inside. Like 1/4" thick all over
everything. How to clean? Do the guns need to be cleaned on the
surface? What about the inner surface of the screen. Got lucky so far
feeling my way around this; don't want to screw it up now.
JR
HOME PAGE:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

JR North wrote:
[...]

Congratulations so far. I'd clean what I could with a vacuum.
Definitely clean all the optical surfaces with a soft cloth and your
choice of glass cleaner.

Unless the convergence issue was mechanical, it's likely to return. If
it was mechanical (tubes themselves got whacked out of alignment), it
should have been fixed mechanically. I expect it's the result of aging
components, most likely electrolytic caps or deteriorating semi's; and
this will likely continue until something actually dies.

All that not withstanding, since you have a zero-dollar investment in a
50" set, enjoy it while it lasts. If the crts are dirty 'inside' it's
likely a growth in the cooling fluid. There are adequate resources on
the web to deal with that....

jak