Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Why does my cellphohone earpiece make things worse?

Why does my cellphohone earpiece make things worse?

I have the cheapest cellphone, I think, that Motorola makes, the C139.
At least it is the one they sometimes give you for free when you start
a prepaid account.

When I plug in an earpiece, it doesn't work well. The sound is not as
loud and maybe not as clear. I thoought the sound would be both
louder and better with an earphone. What gives?

I'm going to test earpiece with friends' phones, and my phone with
friends' earpieces, if tney don't think my ears are too dirty. But I
could use guidance on what to look for.

Right now on my phone, I've used a one piece plastic thing that sticks
in one's ear, and I also bought a 15 dollar model at Radio Schack.
Isn't $15 enough?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2991656
The one that hooks over the ear and has a rubber piece that goes into
the ear canal a bit. It's black rubber and grey plastic, and folds
for storage an inch from the end, at the mouthpiece.

"Discreet and comfortable.
The Body Glove Flex Headset allows you to enjoy extreme comfort in
extreme style. The discreet, lightweight design offers exceptional
sound quality, and the flexible ear hook hugs the right or left ear
for all day comfort. The unit folds up for quick storage and portable
ease, and operation is made simple with all the controls on one simple
pod." I object to the word "all". It only has one control, a button
that doesn't do anything with my phone.

Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I'm going to test earpiece with friends' phones, and my phone
with friends' earpieces, if tney don't think my ears are too dirty.

Ask again after you've done your homework.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 19:30:32 -0500, mm put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Why does my cellphohone earpiece make things worse?

I have the cheapest cellphone, I think, that Motorola makes, the C139.
At least it is the one they sometimes give you for free when you start
a prepaid account.

When I plug in an earpiece, it doesn't work well. The sound is not as
loud and maybe not as clear. I thoought the sound would be both
louder and better with an earphone. What gives?

I'm going to test earpiece with friends' phones, and my phone with
friends' earpieces, if tney don't think my ears are too dirty. But I
could use guidance on what to look for.

Right now on my phone, I've used a one piece plastic thing that sticks
in one's ear, and I also bought a 15 dollar model at Radio Schack.
Isn't $15 enough?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2991656

These reviews also complain about low volume:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...gs#showReviews

What is the impedance of your headset? How does it compare to the
original Motorola headset?

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 13:22:53 +1100, Franc Zabkar
wrote:

[...]

Wow. I didn't even think to look at them. And Reviews were a tab on
the very page I gave you.

Maybe I should get in the habit of reading reviews. In this case, I
think this was the only earpiece they had at a price I would pay,
although I guess I'll pay more if I have to. (I rarely use the phone,
especially while driving, or this would be a bigger issue.)

The cheap earbud for MP3 players work well and it didn't occur to me
that there would be a problem with a telephone earpiece.

Instead, I have never successfully used it. I have to unplug to hear
what is said. (I was told that they can hear me.)

It's been 9 months and I don't have the receipt, but maybe in light of
these reviews, they'll do something for me.

What is the impedance of your headset? How does it compare to the
original Motorola headset?

I don't know the answer to either of those questions. Sounds
important. I don't think the packaging or url for the headset said
anything, and I don't think the 60 page manual for the phone said
anything. Let me go check.... 36 hours go by.... No, 14 uses of
headset, but no specs. it doesn't say.

I don't think it came with a motorola headset. I suppose I could go
to a store and find one by Motorola. Would measuring with an ohmmeter
work?

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 23:00:27 -0500, mm put

wrote:

What is the impedance of your headset? How does it compare to the
original Motorola headset?

I don't know the answer to either of those questions. Sounds
important. I don't think the packaging or url for the headset said
anything, and I don't think the 60 page manual for the phone said
anything. Let me go check.... 36 hours go by.... No, 14 uses of
headset, but no specs. it doesn't say.

I don't think it came with a motorola headset. I suppose I could go
to a store and find one by Motorola. Would measuring with an ohmmeter
work?

A common impedance for moving coil headphones is 32 ohms. You should
be able to measure this with a multimeter.

- Franc Zabkar