Danny

Default How to make things for money at home

I sont have alot of experience but a lot of determination. I have some
hand grinders and mig and arc welders.

Is there something that would be useful I could maufacture in my
garage and sell on ebay or something for money. Mainly as a hobby. I
am no looking to get rich, just some pocket money for the new baby
that is on the way.

My dad just bought a 49 cub tractor at the auction and I am going
through it for him. Alot of people collect these. WOndered If making
tail light brakets or the choke rod would be of any benefit? I dont
have the equipment to do complex shapes and I am not a machinist, I
wish I was. (Maybe an excuse to buy more equipment!) I just love to
work with metal and my day job is in the office so I like to get dirty
during evenings and weekends.

Any advice?
Paul T.

With your equipment I would add a small vertical bandsaw and then consider
doing some "decorative iron" type work for homeowners. This would include
iron gates, shelves, trellis's and other things people like to add to
customize their houses. Make some fliers up and stuff them in mailboxes
while the post office isn't looking to land your first customers, then word
of mouth will bring you more.

If you search around the web a little you'll find some good online suppliers
of components for doing decorative iron work that show up ready to weld
together.

One of the cheapo $199. 4x6 vertical bandsaws will be good enough to get you
started. I've had one that I thought would last about a year thats going on
20 years now, and it generally gets used at least once a day.

Good luck-

Paul T.

"Danny" wrote in message
m...
I sont have alot of experience but a lot of determination. I have some
hand grinders and mig and arc welders.

Is there something that would be useful I could maufacture in my
garage and sell on ebay or something for money. Mainly as a hobby. I
am no looking to get rich, just some pocket money for the new baby
that is on the way.

My dad just bought a 49 cub tractor at the auction and I am going
through it for him. Alot of people collect these. WOndered If making
tail light brakets or the choke rod would be of any benefit? I dont
have the equipment to do complex shapes and I am not a machinist, I
wish I was. (Maybe an excuse to buy more equipment!) I just love to
work with metal and my day job is in the office so I like to get dirty
during evenings and weekends.

Any advice?

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 06 May 2004 21:01:04 GMT, "Paul T."
brought forth from the murky depths:

With your equipment I would add a small vertical bandsaw and then consider
doing some "decorative iron" type work for homeowners. This would include
iron gates, shelves, trellis's and other things people like to add to
customize their houses. Make some fliers up and stuff them in mailboxes
while the post office isn't looking to land your first customers, then word
of mouth will bring you more.

Touching anyone's mailbox than your own is a federal offense, Paul.
It's not in Danny's best interest to tell him to commit felonies,
y'know? Door hangers are safer and not illegal. They could be put
on doorknobs by local kids, hung on gates, or looped around the
mailbox flag without committing a felony (in most communities.)

Danny, go to local farmers markets and swap meets to see what -is-
being made and what is selling. Ask the vendors if people are looking
for things these vendors -don't- make. This could be something you
could make and not be in competition with them. If the vendors are
selling too many of their items to keep up, you might see if they
want to sublet some of their production to you. You never know.

-- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --
http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases

SteveB

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 06 May 2004 21:01:04 GMT, "Paul T."
brought forth from the murky depths:

With your equipment I would add a small vertical bandsaw and then

consider
doing some "decorative iron" type work for homeowners. This would include
iron gates, shelves, trellis's and other things people like to add to
customize their houses.

In most states, adding something that permanently attatches to a house or
structure with fasteners is considered contracting and requires a
contractor's license. The maximum fine in Nevada for contracting without a
license is $10,000. And that don't even take into consideration the
libility insurance required to go on another person's property and do work.
Unless the poster is interested in getting fully immersed in contracting,
this is not a good idea. But yes, one can make decorative work that just
sits there, and sell that without having a conflict.

Make some fliers up and stuff them in mailboxes
while the post office isn't looking to land your first customers, then

word
of mouth will bring you more.

Federal offense GUARANTEED to get you a visit from a postal inspector, where
he/she will tell you he/she knows your intentions were good, but for you to
NEVER ever do it again.

Danny, go to local farmers markets and swap meets to see what -is-
being made and what is selling. Ask the vendors if people are looking
for things these vendors -don't- make. This could be something you
could make and not be in competition with them. If the vendors are
selling too many of their items to keep up, you might see if they
want to sublet some of their production to you. You never know.

Excellent idea. But why not control it from raw materials to end user? You
take $5 worth of materials. You make something you can sell on ebay for
$25.......... net profit, $20 less ebay's vig. If you wholesale it out, you
make it for $5, sell it for $10 to $15, so the retailer can sell it for $25
and make money, too. Your net ....... $5 to $10. Which do you prefer? One
way, you have to make one widget to make $20, and the other way, you might
have to make four widgets. The hours start adding up. Then your outlet
wants more of them, but you wanted to go to Aunt Mary's this weekend for her
to see the new baby, and you didn't want to work. And you have to start
working when you don't want to just to meet someone else's schedule.

Ebay is the way to go. You reach millions of people for $1 or so. Work
when you want to/when you have the time/when it is convenient.

HTH

Steve

Winston

Danny wrote:
I sont have alot of experience but a lot of determination. I have some
hand grinders and mig and arc welders.

Is there something that would be useful I could maufacture in my
garage and sell on ebay or something for money. Mainly as a hobby. I
am no looking to get rich, just some pocket money for the new baby
that is on the way.

(Snip)
Any advice?

Have a look at the dropbox:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/OilChange.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/OilChange.jpg

This is something you could make easily and sell for reasonable money.
I made a crude version that works properly but I would like to be able
to buy a nice one from an auto store.

It could be marketed as the perfect gift for the home mechanic.

Bonus points for a version to accommodate a drain pan *or* a bucket.

More bonus points for a version that doesn't require a heavily weighted
base as this one does. (A broad based 'A' frame, perhaps?)

--Winston

Lennie the Lurker

"SteveB" wrote in message news:aaAmc.75032$Jy3.42369@fed1read03...

In most states, adding something that permanently attatches to a house or
structure with fasteners is considered contracting and requires a
contractor's license.

Thumbscrews and wing nuts generally get around this nicely as do
keyhole slots instead of simple drilled holes. The key word is
permanently, but a home owner can add things without the license.
Insurance companies are generally the hangup, and if they get anal
about it, just look for another one. Read your policy, you might be
amazed at the number of things you aren't allowed to do. Add coverage
to pay for the repair cost and watch the restrictions somehow
disappear.

Ebay is the way to go. You reach millions of people for $1 or so.

Too many horror stories, and paypal isn't your pal. paypal can freeze
any account you have listed with them, including the credit cards, and
doesn't have to even listen to your case until the mood or a fart
moves them. The only safe way to use ebay or paypal is to have
separate checking accounts and credit card that are used for nothing
else, and have only enough money to cover any purchases you have made.
Doesn't mean a seller isn't going to get ripped, it happens, and to
contest it, you have to file a court case in southern california.
Ebay, bad idea. paypal worse idea. Read the contracts, nothing in
them protects you, everything protects them.
John Smith

doing some "decorative iron" type work for homeowners. This would include
iron gates, shelves, trellis's and other things people like to add to
customize their houses.

In most states, adding something that permanently attatches to a house or
structure with fasteners is considered contracting and requires a
contractor's license. The maximum fine in Nevada for contracting without a
license is $10,000. And that don't even take into consideration the
libility insurance required to go on another person's property and do work.
Unless the poster is interested in getting fully immersed in contracting,
this is not a good idea. But yes, one can make decorative work that just
sits there, and sell that without having a conflict.

snip

Make some fliers up and stuff them in mailboxes

Federal offense GUARANTEED to get you a visit from a postal inspector, where
he/she will tell you he/she knows your intentions were good, but for you to
NEVER ever do it again.

America: Land of the free*

* all rights reserved, void where prohibited
Morris Minor

"John Smith" wrote in message

America: Land of the free*

* all rights reserved, void where prohibited

As a somewhat frequent visitor to the USA, ain't that the truth!

JTMcC

"John Smith" wrote in message

[...]

How do you equate not being allowed to legally handle other peoples mail,
with a lack of freedom?

I don't want you or anyone else messing with my mail, or mailbox. I get some
very important stuff in my mailbox.

JTMcC.