Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What Causes These Lines on My TV?

I have a 4 year old Sony CRT TV. Recently it began having lines
across the top of the screen when first turned on. At first the lines
would go away after an extended warmup -- they've quit going away. For
about the last 20 years I've quit getting TVs repaired. It usually
costs about half or more as much as a new TV and after it's fixed you
have an old TV. But, the set still has a good picture, so after only
four years, if this is an easy thing to fix I figured I might give it
a try. So, will this probably be an easy (read cheap) fix?

Here are pictures that illustrate the problem:
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1373/tvlines1om3.jpg
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5002/tvlines2jh2.jpg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jim evans" wrote in message
I have a 4 year old Sony CRT TV. Recently it began having lines
across the top of the screen when first turned on. At first the lines
would go away after an extended warmup -- they've quit going away. For
about the last 20 years I've quit getting TVs repaired. It usually
costs about half or more as much as a new TV and after it's fixed you
have an old TV. But, the set still has a good picture, so after only
four years, if this is an easy thing to fix I figured I might give it
a try. So, will this probably be an easy (read cheap) fix?

Here are pictures that illustrate the problem:
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1373/tvlines1om3.jpg
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5002/tvlines2jh2.jpg

It looks like you need to adjust the vertical hold knob and if that doesn't
work then adjust the vertical size knob in the back of the t.v.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

you have some bad capacitors arround the vertical IC
not an expensive fix

"jim evans" wrote in message
. ..
I have a 4 year old Sony CRT TV. Recently it began having lines
across the top of the screen when first turned on. At first the lines
would go away after an extended warmup -- they've quit going away. For
about the last 20 years I've quit getting TVs repaired. It usually
costs about half or more as much as a new TV and after it's fixed you
have an old TV. But, the set still has a good picture, so after only
four years, if this is an easy thing to fix I figured I might give it
a try. So, will this probably be an easy (read cheap) fix?

Here are pictures that illustrate the problem:
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1373/tvlines1om3.jpg
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5002/tvlines2jh2.jpg

Don't continue to play the TV this way. It could damage the picture tube,
and the vertical output IC is running way too hot.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jim evans" wrote in message
I have a 4 year old Sony CRT TV. Recently it began having lines
across the top of the screen when first turned on. At first the lines
would go away after an extended warmup -- they've quit going away. For
about the last 20 years I've quit getting TVs repaired. It usually
costs about half or more as much as a new TV and after it's fixed you
have an old TV. But, the set still has a good picture, so after only
four years, if this is an easy thing to fix I figured I might give it
a try. So, will this probably be an easy (read cheap) fix?

Here are pictures that illustrate the problem:
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1373/tvlines1om3.jpg
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5002/tvlines2jh2.jpg

Most likely bad electrolytics. Test them with an esr meter and replace as needed.......Paul

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 22:29:36 -0700, "Stacey Chuffo"
wrote:

"jim evans" wrote in message
.. .
I have a 4 year old Sony CRT TV. Recently it began having lines
across the top of the screen when first turned on. At first the lines
would go away after an extended warmup -- they've quit going away. For
about the last 20 years I've quit getting TVs repaired. It usually
costs about half or more as much as a new TV and after it's fixed you
have an old TV. But, the set still has a good picture, so after only
four years, if this is an easy thing to fix I figured I might give it
a try. So, will this probably be an easy (read cheap) fix?

Here are pictures that illustrate the problem:
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1373/tvlines1om3.jpg
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5002/tvlines2jh2.jpg

It looks like you need to adjust the vertical hold knob and if that doesn't
work then adjust the vertical size knob in the back of the t.v.

Yeah, check all the tubes at the drug store too.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Stacey Chuffo wrote:
"jim evans" wrote in message
[...]

Not V hold. An earlier poster said bad caps in the Vertical output
stage. I concur as I replace caps for this problem frequently. If you
searched our maintenance log the keyword is 'foldover. The vertical
retrace simply hasn't finished before the next frame begins.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 21, 6:19*pm, wrote:
*Stacey Chuffo wrote:

* "jim evans" wrote in message
. ..
* I have a 4 year old Sony CRT TV. *Recently it began having lines
* across the top of the screen

Not V hold. An earlier poster said bad caps in the Vertical output
stage. I concur as I replace caps for this problem frequently. If you
searched our maintenance log the keyword is 'foldover. The vertical
retrace simply hasn't finished before the next frame begins.

Yes, that's very likely the problem. A second (similar) symptom,
that the description might also match, is failure to blank during
vertical
retrace (this usually means the screen HV control needs readjusting).
The blanking failure usually gives diagonal lines all the way
up the screen, but they're closer together near the top and will
be most bothersome there.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Sep 21, 6:19 pm, wrote:
Stacey Chuffo wrote:

"jim evans" wrote in message
.. .
I have a 4 year old Sony CRT TV. Recently it began having lines
across the top of the screen

Not V hold. An earlier poster said bad caps in the Vertical output
stage. I concur as I replace caps for this problem frequently. If you
searched our maintenance log the keyword is 'foldover. The vertical
retrace simply hasn't finished before the next frame begins.

Yes, that's very likely the problem. A second (similar) symptom,
that the description might also match, is failure to blank during
vertical
retrace (this usually means the screen HV control needs readjusting).
The blanking failure usually gives diagonal lines all the way
up the screen, but they're closer together near the top and will
be most bothersome there.

It's the boost cap, usually 100uf at 35 volts.

Mark Z.

really old phone lines wendylee815 Home Repair 110 October 1st 08 05:31 AM
AIR LINES BT98 Woodworking 42 March 5th 07 12:55 PM
Telephone lines: going from 2 to 1 [email protected] Home Repair 10 October 31st 06 08:56 PM
From chalk lines to roof lines--Putting final shingles at the top [email protected] Home Repair 14 September 27th 06 01:23 AM
Lines across JVC TV Hex Electronics Repair 2 September 25th 06 10:00 PM