Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default radio in my car works fine for 10min and after that dies

Hi All,

A couple weeks ago my radio in my ford fiesta started to behave very
strangely.

After around 10-15min of driving, the radio signal became weaker and
weaker and at the end I couldn't listen to any station at all. When I
stop the car and it has a little bit of break then again I can listen
to the radio but after a short period of time is loses ability to
catch any signal again.

The interesting thing is that when I try listen to any radio in LW
(long waves) mode it doesn't have the same problem. CD player also
works fine.

I wonder what it could be. Is there any chance if I restart it somehow
it will work fine again or I just need to go to a ford service
company?

Please advice.

Many thanks,
Richard
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Richard" wrote in message
Hi All,

A couple weeks ago my radio in my ford fiesta started to behave very
strangely.

I wonder what it could be. Is there any chance if I restart it somehow
it will work fine again or I just need to go to a ford service
company?

For all intents and purposes, car radios are disposable. It will almost
certainly cost you more to have it fixed (if it's fixable) than to replace
it.

Seriously, it's junk, go get a new one installed.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Or if you were happy with the features and sound quality, you can usually
find a used replacement unit for whole lot less at your local salvage yard
or by searching E-Bay.

Bob

"Dave" wrote in message

"Richard" wrote in message
Hi All,

A couple weeks ago my radio in my ford fiesta started to behave very
strangely.

I wonder what it could be. Is there any chance if I restart it somehow
it will work fine again or I just need to go to a ford service
company?

For all intents and purposes, car radios are disposable. It will almost
certainly cost you more to have it fixed (if it's fixable) than to replace
it.

Seriously, it's junk, go get a new one installed.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Bob Shuman" wrote in message
Or if you were happy with the features and sound quality, you can usually
find a used replacement unit for whole lot less at your local salvage yard
or by searching E-Bay.

Or, like top-posting Bob notes, junkyards are sometimes good. Don't let 'em
rip you off though. Ford radios ain't known for their sonic purity. For
many years Ford used the car's frame as the signal return ground from the
speakers... not a good idea if you know anything about RFI, but it saved
them the cost of 15 feet of 18ga wire, maybe $0.50 if that.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave" wrote in message

"Bob Shuman" wrote in message
Or if you were happy with the features and sound quality, you can usually
find a used replacement unit for whole lot less at your local salvage
yard or by searching E-Bay.

Or, like top-posting Bob notes, junkyards are sometimes good. Don't let
'em rip you off though. Ford radios ain't known for their sonic purity.
For many years Ford used the car's frame as the signal return ground from
the speakers... not a good idea if you know anything about RFI, but it
saved them the cost of 15 feet of 18ga wire, maybe $0.50 if that.

Times a few million vehicles.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds to me like you don't know anything about FM Radio. Just because
Longwave can travel great distances doesn't mean that FM radio can. Of
course it's going to fade out as you drive farther away from the
transmitter. FM carries more data than AM and therefore it doesn't travel as
far.