Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 32" Sony CRT TV Repair

Hello,

I have a ~6 year old Sony CRT tv and recently it started giving me
problems. About a month to two months ago it started to shut off
after a dew seconds of turning on. I left unplugged for a while and
it worked normally again. Recently it started to happen again. This
time, it won't stop shutting off. It is always a few seconds after I
turn it on. The picture doesn't show, but sound does. I have tried
to leave it off for ~24 hours.

I read on the web somewhere that it could be a dust problem. They
said to leave it off for a few hours and then try to remove the dust
around the large cable going into the tube. I tried that, with no
results.

I have been looking other places and read that it might be a HV
problem. I am a ME grad student and have a little experience with
electrical systems. I would like to get it fixed rather than buying a
new one because of my tight budget. Does anyone know what the problem
could be and if it would be reasonable for me to try to fix it? Or
should I hire a technician? Or is it not even worth doing that (too
costly)? I most likely have access to all the equipment needed to
test it. Thanks

Jeff
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 8, 12:14*pm, wrote:
[...]

Please give the model # of the set. This may be a common problem with
a fairly simple repair.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 9, 3:38*am, wrote:
On Jul 8, 12:14*pm, wrote:

[...]

a fairly simple repair.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks a ton for your help. I appreciate any help I can get. The
model number is 32U-S50. If you need any more info just ask. Thanks
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jeff" wrote in message

Thanks a ton for your help. I appreciate any help I can get. The
model number is 32U-S50. If you need any more info just ask. Thanks

Are you sure that it is not a Sharp set? That model looks like a Sharp, not
Sony. Sharps are notorious for bad solder connections on the vertical
output IC in earlier models. Not sure if that is an issue in this one or
not.

Leonard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 13, 6:57*pm, "Leonard Caillouet" wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

Thanks a ton for your help. *I appreciate any help I can get. *The
model number is 32U-S50. *If you need any more info just ask. *Thanks

Are you sure that it is not a Sharp set? *That model looks like a Sharp, not
Sony. *Sharps are notorious for bad solder connections on the vertical
output IC in earlier models. *Not sure if that is an issue in this one or
not.

Leonard

Yes, it is Sharp. I mistakenly wrote the wrong brand name. Do you
have or know where I can get a scematic of the board or anything like
that? Thanks a lot