Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Quandary - (was 30 foot phone line)

I found such good help here on the subject of my DSL line speed I hope you
don't mind if I come back with this semi OT follow up.

I currently don't know if there is, or ever was anything wrong with my DSL
speed. I would be interested to hear if you think there is something wrong
by these symptoms.

My ISP Earthlink's standard referral for a DSL speed test is 2wire.com.
The average of 42 speed tests on my system is 1420 Kbps. I'm paying for
6000 Kbps. The AT&T tech rep tested my line and said it was good to up to
his NID.

My next door neighbor is on AT&T's 6000 Kbps plan. I performed the 2wire
test on his system and he easily got 4750 Kbps, so I ran home and tested
mine and got the usual 1390 Kbps. It seems clear that my neighborhood
should be able to get around 5000 Kbps.

Ok.. that sounds like there's something wrong, right?

The trouble is, my neighbor introduced me to his speed test site
http://www.speedtest.net/index.php and I've been getting a pretty consistent
4400 Kbps on that site. On the DSLReports.com tests I get 1200 to 2500
Kbps, usually around 1500 Kbps. On AT&T test sites I get 1800 to 3000 Kbps.
I'm all over the board.

These are my speed tests on one day if it will help:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...jun-11-001.jpg

Does it seem to you like I've got something wrong? I need to know how hard
I should work on this...

Dallas

(If you're interested, these are the test sites
http://helpme.att.net/dsl/speedtest/

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

http://www.2wire.com/

http://www.speedtest.net/index.php

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:10:07 -0500, "Dallas"
wrote:

The trouble is, my neighbor introduced me to his speed test site
http://www.speedtest.net/index.php and I've been getting a pretty consistent
4400 Kbps on that site. On the DSLReports.com tests I get 1200 to 2500
Kbps, usually around 1500 Kbps. On AT&T test sites I get 1800 to 3000 Kbps.
I'm all over the board.

Sounds like the problem is very possibly with your provider, although
I wouldn't completely rule out that your networking parameters aren't
quite peaked and tweaked. Are you confident that your MSS, MTU, and
RWIN are appropriate for your connection?

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It is not uncommon for speed test sites to show conflicting results. This
method can be somewhat unreliable. I've found that simple FTP file
transfers (puts and gets) of large files using the DOS ftp prompt (hash
disabled) give the most predictable results. (Results are displayed in
KBytes/Second when the transfer ends).

Can you answer a couple of other simple questions:

What is the round trip latency you measured to the test site being used
(lower is better)?
What is your TCP window set to in the registry on your computer (should be
#FFFF to maximize throughput)?

Bob

"Dallas" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Rich Webb" wrote in message
Are you confident that your MSS, MTU, and
RWIN are appropriate for your connection?

I'm running PPPoE - MTU is set to 1492.

Here are my DSLreports.com tweak test results:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...estresults.jpg

Dallas

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Bob Shuman" wrote in message
What is the round trip latency you measured to the test site being used
(lower is better)?

Pinging 2wire.com [216.52.29.100] with 32 bytes of data:
Ping statistics for 216.52.29.100:

-- Pings look pretty good... (FYI 2Wire.com is in San Jose, CA)

What is your TCP window set to in the registry on your computer (should be
#FFFF to maximize throughput)?

Hum.. I don't know.. and don't know how to check.. how do I do that?

FYI, as in the reply to Rich Webb, here are my DSLreports.com tweak test
results:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...estresults.jpg

They show a transfer rate of 2021 Kbps which seems miserable considering I'm
expecting 5000ish.

Dallas

Bob

"Dallas" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
This is what I use to test my speed as you can select a locale closer to
you.
http://helpme.att.net/dsl/speedtest/

Yeah... this is why I think something is wrong, at your test site using a
Dallas test at 06:06 PM I'm getting:

Your Throughput

Download = 965.97 kbps
Upload = 622.76 kbps

Pretty sick.

Trouble is... I have tested as high as 4711 Kbps on the Speedtest.com site
which seems to indicate that everything is fine... or at least there is
nothing capping the line speed.

Dallas

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:59:35 -0500, "Dallas"
wrote:

"Bob Shuman" wrote in message
What is the round trip latency you measured to the test site being used
(lower is better)?

Pinging 2wire.com [216.52.29.100] with 32 bytes of data:
Ping statistics for 216.52.29.100:

-- Pings look pretty good... (FYI 2Wire.com is in San Jose, CA)

What is your TCP window set to in the registry on your computer (should be
#FFFF to maximize throughput)?

Hum.. I don't know.. and don't know how to check.. how do I do that?

FYI, as in the reply to Rich Webb, here are my DSLreports.com tweak test
results:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...estresults.jpg

They show a transfer rate of 2021 Kbps which seems miserable considering I'm
expecting 5000ish.

One tool that may give a hint of what's happening is the "DU Meter"
which gives you a graph of transfer speed vs time (and does a much
better job of it than the Windows built-in monitor). If you're getting
a full-speed connection then the graph will show a steady rate, but if
you're suffering from variable choke-points between you and the remote
machine it's pretty obvious. http://www.dumeter.com/

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

The trouble is, my neighbor introduced me to his speed test site
http://www.speedtest.net/index.php and I've been getting a pretty consistent
4400 Kbps on that site. On the DSLReports.com tests I get 1200 to 2500
Kbps, usually around 1500 Kbps. On AT&T test sites I get 1800 to 3000 Kbps.
I'm all over the board.

Sounds like the problem is very possibly with your provider, although
I wouldn't completely rule out that your networking parameters aren't
quite peaked and tweaked. Are you confident that your MSS, MTU, and
RWIN are appropriate for your connection?

In addition to checking the parameters, I'd run a tracert or ping on the
address to the speed test site. You should be able to find the
bottleneck to the slow sites, given that some tests indicate nearly full
bandwidth.

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jakdedert" wrote in message
I'd run a tracert or ping on the address

Nice! tracert is very handy, I think I knew about it, then forgot it over
the years.

My 2Wire.com results:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...acert2wire.jpg

If I'm reading this right it shows I've got a good first hop to mindspring
my ISP, so no bottlenecks to the POP.

Everything else seems within reasonable boundarys?

My speedtest with 2wire showed 1050 Kbps about the same time.

Dallas

Absurd, right? The 30 foot phone line Dallas Electronics Repair 45 June 1st 08 11:16 PM
Phone line & DSL EpsilonRho Electronic Schematics 18 February 9th 08 10:52 AM
Phone Line Don G Home Repair 3 October 5th 07 03:17 PM
shorted out phone line re barry martin Home Repair 1 June 17th 04 02:50 PM
Help On Fax/Phone Line Nick Home Repair 5 August 26th 03 12:39 AM