Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Shuman Bob Shuman is offline

Default Quandary - (was 30 foot phone line)

It is not uncommon for speed test sites to show conflicting results. This
method can be somewhat unreliable. I've found that simple FTP file
transfers (puts and gets) of large files using the DOS ftp prompt (hash
disabled) give the most predictable results. (Results are displayed in
KBytes/Second when the transfer ends).

Can you answer a couple of other simple questions:

What is the round trip latency you measured to the test site being used
(lower is better)?
What is your TCP window set to in the registry on your computer (should be
#FFFF to maximize throughput)?

Bob

"Dallas" wrote in message
m...
I found such good help here on the subject of my DSL line speed I hope you
don't mind if I come back with this semi OT follow up.

I currently don't know if there is, or ever was anything wrong with my DSL
speed. I would be interested to hear if you think there is something
wrong by these symptoms.

My ISP Earthlink's standard referral for a DSL speed test is 2wire.com.
The average of 42 speed tests on my system is 1420 Kbps. I'm paying for
6000 Kbps. The AT&T tech rep tested my line and said it was good to up to
his NID.

My next door neighbor is on AT&T's 6000 Kbps plan. I performed the 2wire
test on his system and he easily got 4750 Kbps, so I ran home and tested
mine and got the usual 1390 Kbps. It seems clear that my neighborhood
should be able to get around 5000 Kbps.

Ok.. that sounds like there's something wrong, right?

The trouble is, my neighbor introduced me to his speed test site
http://www.speedtest.net/index.php and I've been getting a pretty
consistent 4400 Kbps on that site. On the DSLReports.com tests I get 1200
to 2500 Kbps, usually around 1500 Kbps. On AT&T test sites I get 1800 to
3000 Kbps. I'm all over the board.

These are my speed tests on one day if it will help:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...jun-11-001.jpg

Does it seem to you like I've got something wrong? I need to know how
hard I should work on this...

Dallas

(If you're interested, these are the test sites
http://helpme.att.net/dsl/speedtest/

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

http://www.2wire.com/