Posted to sci.electronics.repair
z z is offline

Default A PC question.

On May 13, 9:06*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
This is something that seems to have defeated the best minds in the UK so
I thought I'd try here...;-)

I have a home assembled PC - about 18 months old - using an Asus A8N5X MB
and an Athlon 64 3000+ CPU. It's mainly used for semi-pro AV work.

*After a year or so of faultless service, it started shutting down at
random. Would usually boot up again ok and carry on. After a few occasions
I took to having PCProbe loaded and noticed the CPU temp would shoot up
just before it shut down. So naturally removed the heatsink/fan, cleaned
and replaced with new thermal transfer compound.

*All was well for a month or so, then the fault started happening earlier
and earlier - sometimes before XP had loaded. The bios power management
page again showed the CPU overheating - going from ambient to overheat in
around a minute. But the heatsink was cool to the touch. ;-)

I was intending to use the shotgun approach and simply replace the MB -
and possibly CPU - but it seems this design of MB is now obsolete so I'd
have to change lots of other things too.

*I've not been able to find any description of how the CPU temp sensing
works let alone any clues on fixing what must be an intermittent fault -
as I've stripped and re-assembled the entire computer, cleaned all
connectors etc, and it's fine again once more. But for how long?...

Any informed guesses?

--

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I inherited a Dell a few years back discarded by the repairperson as
unfixable, which turned out to have as its only fault a CPU fan which
would freeze up randomly. cost $10 for a new one from Radio Shack, and
that was with a new heatsink included.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 19 May 2008 06:13:09 -0700 (PDT), jango2
wrote:

I editted my post, read again.

You don't edit posts on Usenet.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
PeterD wrote:
I editted my post, read again.

You don't edit posts on Usenet.

People who use Googlegroups think they can...

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 20 May 2008 00:17:46 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
PeterD wrote:
I editted my post, read again.

You don't edit posts on Usenet.

People who use Googlegroups think they can...

Well, in that case, let me go back and edit my...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Plowman: "And I do have a new MB, CPU and memory standing buy -
it arrived on Friday.......I'm putting it off
until forced. ;-)"

Well? Put in the new cpu and make a confirmation. That should tell us
where the fault lies. :-)
Waiting anxiously,
Jango

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jango2" wrote in message
I editted my post, read again.

Eh? How can you edit a USENET post? Whatever the case, your edit didn't
work. Are you using a web forum to view this newsgroup?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 22 May 2008 20:09:25 -0400, Michael Kennedy wrote:
"jango2" wrote in message
I editted my post, read again.

Eh? How can you edit a USENET post? Whatever the case, your edit didn't
work. Are you using a web forum to view this newsgroup?

The OP is a google grooper who thinks asking questions about browsing
history in Internet Exploder is on topic for sci.electronics.repair
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jango2" wrote in message
I editted my post, read again.

Eh? How can you edit a USENET post? Whatever the case, your edit didn't
work. Are you using a web forum to view this newsgroup?

The OP is a google grooper who thinks asking questions about browsing
history in Internet Exploder is on topic for sci.electronics.repair

google grooper + thinks = Oxymoron

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Eh? How can you edit a USENET post? Whatever the case, your edit
didn't
work. Are you using a web forum to view this newsgroup? "

I come in here through http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.repair.
Don't start holding me responsible for the spam in here , i am a
struggling electronics repair technician and my visits here are purely
academic.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article
,
jango2 wrote:
I come in here through
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.repair. Don't start
holding me responsible for the spam in here , i am a struggling
electronics repair technician and my visits here are purely academic.

I'd say you have a very bright future if you can replace a diode inside a
CPU. ;-)

--
*Always borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You behave like an excited kid holding a candy bar, you won't eat the
candy and all you want to do is show off to everyone "whee i got
candy".
You have a spare processor but wont put it in to make a confirmation.
You come in here asking a tech question and then wont pay heed to
anyones advice. You obviously have no intention of getting to the
bottom of this problem, you're here to needle people who would invest
time in trying to help (for free) and then poke a them endlessly over
some stupid typo (which has been corrected). You appear to have some
superiority complex because you subscribe to usenet. For me, it doesnt
matter which site you're using, what's important is model, sympton and
result.
I hope your new spare processor gets zapped by static while you're
handling it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You behave like an excited kid holding a candy bar, you won't eat the
candy and all you want to do is show off to everyone "whee i got
candy".
You have a spare processor but wont put it in to make a confirmation.
You come in here asking a tech question and then wont pay heed to
anyones advice. You obviously have no intention of getting to the
bottom of this problem, you're here to needle people who would invest
time in trying to help (for free) and then poke a them endlessly over
some stupid typo (which has been corrected). You appear to have some
superiority complex because you subscribe to usenet. For me, it doesnt
matter which site you're using, what's important is model, symptom and
result.
I hope your new spare processor gets zapped by static while you're
handling it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article
,
jango2 wrote:
You behave like an excited kid holding a candy bar, you won't eat the
candy and all you want to do is show off to everyone "whee i got
candy".

Are you referring to me? If so, learn how to post properly. Quote what you
are replying to.

You have a spare processor but wont put it in to make a confirmation.

Who said I have a spare processor of the same type that would fit the MB?
I didn't.

You come in here asking a tech question and then wont pay heed to
anyones advice.

It helps if you try reading - and understanding - what has been said in
the thread.

You obviously have no intention of getting to the
bottom of this problem,

Quite the reverse. My whole intention was to try and understand the
problem. If I didn't want to do that I'd have simply replaced the MB and
CPU.

you're here to needle people who would invest
time in trying to help (for free) and then poke a them endlessly over
some stupid typo (which has been corrected).

FFS, you didn't make a 'typo'. You suggested a coarse of action which was
nonsense and posted that. Then realised how stupid it was and tried to
retract it. Which can't be done.

You appear to have some superiority complex because you subscribe to
usenet. For me, it doesnt matter which site you're using, what's
important is model, sympton and result. I hope your new spare processor
gets zapped by static while you're handling it.

Great. I'd suggest you learn a bit about how news groups work before
getting all superior.

Oh - you've contributed precisely nothing to my knowledge of my particular
motherboard or the resolve of the problem.

--
*Dance like nobody's watching.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 25 May 2008 01:55:15 -0700 (PDT), jango2 wrote:
You behave like an excited kid holding a candy bar, you won't eat the
candy and all you want to do is show off to everyone "whee i got
candy".

Who the hell are you addressing!?!?
What content are you (trying) to rspond to!?!?

Oh, I see:

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

jango2 wrote in news:0cfad70b-a395-408d-b96c-
:

You behave like an excited kid holding a candy bar, you won't eat the
candy and all you want to do is show off to everyone "whee i got
candy"

I hope your new spare processor gets zapped by static while you're
handling it.

Please don't take my critique personally. I don't know you personally. My
comment is aimed at ALL those that disregard the proper rules of netiquet.

You posted twice. This indicates that you are unfamiliar with your equipment
and how to use it to post to usenet via google groups.

You post to usenet without quoting the material to which you are replying.
Your post is seen without any context by those of us that do not use Google
groups, making your comments useless.

You and many users of google groups are like children that come into a movie
theater in the middle of the movie and treat the theater like their home,
running up and down the isles, jumping over seats, shouting comments to their
friends, grabing a handful of my popcorn and taking a sip out of my drink.

YOUR behavior is rude.

This is usenet. You happen to be using google groups to read a usenet
newsgroup.

The group has its own set of rules, called the FAQs. Read those rules before
you post to the group.

Usenet has its own set of rules.

Learn the proper rules for using it.

What you just did is rude even though you felt justified.

Google on netiquet and study the 'rules of the road'.
http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/netiquet.html
might be a good place to start, or since you are using google groups
http://groups.google.com/support/bin...y?answer=46492
[quote]
Summarize what you're following up.

When you click "Reply" at the bottom of any post to follow up an existing
article, Google Groups includes the full article in quotes, with the cursor
at the top of the article. Tempting though it is to just start typing your
message, please STOP and do two things first. Look at the quoted text and
remove parts that are irrelevant. Then, go to the BOTTOM of the article and
start typing there. Doing this makes it much easier for your readers to get
through your post. They'll have a reminder of the relevant text before your
comment, but won't have to re-read the entire article. And if your reply
appears on a site before the original article does, they'll get the gist of
what you're talking about.

Cite appropriate references.

If you're using facts to support your point, state where they came from.
Don't take someone else's ideas and use them as your own. You don't want
someone pretending that your ideas are theirs; show them the same respect.
For example, much of this FAQ was derived from a post that has been widely
disseminated across Usenet. You can find that post by searching for [usenet
primer ] on Google Groups.
[unquote]

--
bz

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

bz wrote:

[...]

Better yet, install News Proxy (Avilible at the link below) and drop
all posts from Google Groups.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

Better yet, install News Proxy (Avilible at the link below) and drop
all posts from Google Groups.

I was(I use x-news, actually), for a while, but it got so quiet and lonely
on a couple of the groups I visit that I turned off the 'Hard kill' mode.
Oh, I also plonk the multi-group-posters, which is another reason it got so
quiet.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Plowman :"You suggested a coarse of action which was
nonsense and posted that".

Hmm......, coarse......., like sandpaper?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article
,
jango2 wrote:
Dave Plowman :"You suggested a coarse of action which was
nonsense and posted that".

Hmm......, coarse......., like sandpaper?

Of course.

--
*Nostalgia isn't what is used to be.