Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Modem for cable and dial up on same pc?

David Zeit wrote:
Now that we have a high speed cable connection we do not need dial up.
But it might be nice to have back up. I can add a dial up but will there
be conflicts? The cable modem is always on. Now I put ELNK on the new pc

I don't know what ELNK is.

Some cable ISPs maintain a dialup number. Many don't... you would have
to check with them to see if that option exists.

Just the same, you can configure your options to do dialup, cable,
wireless, etc. There's a few little issues about where 'read' mail
goes to and that stuff but sure, you can dialup to NetZero (and pay
separately for that account) with or without the cable connection. You
need a phone line to bypass the cable modem but its all there in the
configuration menus.

I tote around a laptop in my work and on any given day I might have to
select cable, wireless or dialup. Never had any issues. Biggest issue
is the anti-virus software that will start downloading **** immediately
when you get online and bog down the overall speed maybe for a few
minutes (AVG) .

-Bill

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Now that we have a high speed cable connection we do not need dial up.
But it might be nice to have back up. I can add a dial up but will there
be conflicts? The cable modem is always on. Now I put ELNK on the new pc
and maybe I have a problem. I figure we'd only use the dial up if the
high speed went down. Is there a way to set it up so ELNK couldn't
connect if the other one did? Or could you disable the cable modem and
use dial up should you want to.

Or should we drop ELNK and go to a Free ISP like Net Zero? But then the
same questions exists.... having a high speed cable connection and a
dial up on the same pc.Conflicts? Will it work?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 3, 10:48*pm, David Zeit wrote:
Now that we have a high speed cable connection we do not need dial up.
But it might be nice to have back up. I can add a dial up but will there
be conflicts? The cable modem is always on. Now I put ELNK on the new pc
and maybe I have a problem. I figure we'd only use the dial up if the
high speed went down. Is there a way to set it up so ELNK couldn't
connect if the other one did? Or could you disable the cable modem and
use dial up should you want to.

Or should we drop ELNK and go to a Free ISP like Net Zero? But then the
same questions exists.... having a high speed cable connection and a
dial up on the same pc.Conflicts? Will it work?

what the **** does this have to do with electronics repair?
Since when did s.e.r. become a general purpose newsgroup?
What's next? Richard The St00pid starts posting his kiddy porn to
sci.electronics.repair?

Save yourself some time and learn to use Google and if that doesn't
work then post your question to 24hoursupport.helpdesk.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 4, 3:20*am, Stephany Alexander wrote:
[...]

At least he''s not selling cheap Chinese junk
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

exray wrote:

David Zeit wrote:
Now that we have a high speed cable connection we do not need dial up.
But it might be nice to have back up. I can add a dial up but will there
be conflicts? The cable modem is always on. Now I put ELNK on the new pc

I don't know what ELNK is.

EarthLiNK

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Zeit wrote:

Now that we have a high speed cable connection we do not need dial up.
But it might be nice to have back up. I can add a dial up but will there
be conflicts? The cable modem is always on. Now I put ELNK on the new pc
and maybe I have a problem. I figure we'd only use the dial up if the
high speed went down. Is there a way to set it up so ELNK couldn't
connect if the other one did? Or could you disable the cable modem and
use dial up should you want to.

Or should we drop ELNK and go to a Free ISP like Net Zero? But then the
same questions exists.... having a high speed cable connection and a
dial up on the same pc.Conflicts? Will it work?

Yes, but not at the same time. Earthlink gives you 20 hours a month
dialup as a backup for broadband outages.

Net Zero only gives you 10 free hours a month, and they have no NTTP
servers.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David Zeit" wrote in message
I asked because I felt there were intelligent and helpful people in this
newsgroup. Was I wrong?

There are, but there are a few people who get upset about everything as
well..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 10:17:24 -0800, David Zeit
put finger to keyboard and composed:

No, but you may get a more knowledgeable response at comp.dcom.modems
or comp.dcom.modems.cable.

- Franc Zabkar

Cable Modem RFI Vey Electronics Repair 8 April 9th 07 12:47 AM
Overheating Cable Modem Johnny Public Electronics Repair 7 March 26th 06 11:26 AM
Dial-up modem connect speed? Jim Adney Electronics Repair 16 July 29th 05 04:15 AM
extending coax cable to cable-modem Rick UK diy 15 February 23rd 05 11:44 AM
CAT-5 / Phone / Modem Cable Questions MF Home Repair 2 June 25th 03 01:06 AM