Posted to sci.electronics.repair
exray[_2_] exray[_2_] is offline

Default Modem for cable and dial up on same pc?

David Zeit wrote:
Now that we have a high speed cable connection we do not need dial up.
But it might be nice to have back up. I can add a dial up but will there
be conflicts? The cable modem is always on. Now I put ELNK on the new pc

I don't know what ELNK is.

Some cable ISPs maintain a dialup number. Many don't... you would have
to check with them to see if that option exists.

Just the same, you can configure your options to do dialup, cable,
wireless, etc. There's a few little issues about where 'read' mail
goes to and that stuff but sure, you can dialup to NetZero (and pay
separately for that account) with or without the cable connection. You
need a phone line to bypass the cable modem but its all there in the
configuration menus.

I tote around a laptop in my work and on any given day I might have to
select cable, wireless or dialup. Never had any issues. Biggest issue
is the anti-virus software that will start downloading **** immediately
when you get online and bog down the overall speed maybe for a few
minutes (AVG) .

-Bill