Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Westinghouse 32w3 lcd tv flickering problem

Everyone,

I am having issues with my Westinghouse 32w3 lcd tv that was purchased
about 1.5 years ago. About 2 months ago, I started noticing that when
I watch tv, sometimes there is a constant very fast flicker between
bright/dim contrast. At first, because I was watching OTA tv, I
thought it might be the HD tuner...however, it even happened when I
was watching a movie through a DVD player....

Now I have two options.
(1) Send to the repair center at Westinghouse even though the warrenty
has expired after 1 year. They had indicated that this tv there are
no parts anywhere to obtain and the ONLY option is to send it in to
CA. They said that this is an exchange tv so they won't repair it,
they'll exchange it (my thoughts...a refurbished one...i've read
somewhere that sometimes they send back a bad one and you gotta send
it back). My estimate of shipping plus insurance is $150 at the
slowest shipping via UPS. The shipping cost will be on me.
(2) My credit card which I purchased the TV on has an extended
warrenty...so I am good for another 6 months. They said that I can go
to a service center and get an estimate and submit it and they will
(hopefully) approve the claim. Now, the cost for initial diagnostics
after tax is about $80, which, if I get repaired, will be applied to
the billing. However, I fear that they will either not be able to
capture the problem (it pops in from time to time but is NOT
consistent at any rate...one week it was SOOO horrible, and now, I
dont' see the problem but maybe once a week) and then I am at a loss
of the cost of the diagnostic, with the problem still there. However,
if they find a problem and fix it, I can get the cost reimbursed.
But, based on Westinghouse's comments, and based on what I read, I
fear that even if they find the error, they cannot find any
Westinghouse parts to fix it.

Has ANYONE heard of this problem and know what the problem is, and
does anyone know if Westinghouse parts can be obtained to fix the
error if found? What risk should I take, shipping in (with loss of
cost of shipment) or taking it personally in to get diagnosed?

Thanks for your help!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like it might be a backlight problem, does the room temperature have
any effect on it? Do you have a camcorder to capture video of the problem?
That would be better than a description for helping a tech narrow it down.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have a camera that can record the problem, but it has stopped
occurring for the time being (pretty convienent, huh?). I called
Westinghouse and their response is that they will exchange the TV if i
sent it in for a refurbished because they don't even manufactur this
anymore. AND they said that no service center will be able to repair
this because no Westinghouse parts are available nation wide. Is this
a load of fake things they are saying, or will I be wasting my time
and money if I try to take it to someone? I was told to try to call
them again, talk to manager, and demand a new set sent. Not sure how
my negotiations/demanding skills will play out on that scenario

Will be on the lookout for the tv acting up again and if it is, I'll
try to record.

Thanks again for the help!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 11, 4:31*pm, wrote:
I have a camera that can record the problem, but it has stopped
occurring for the time being (pretty convienent, huh?). *I called
Westinghouse and their response is that they will exchange theTVif i
sent it in for a refurbished because they don't even manufactur this
anymore. *AND they said that no service center will be able torepair
this because no Westinghouse parts are available nation wide. *Is this
a load of fake things they are saying, or will I be wasting my time
and money if I try to take it to someone? *I was told to try to call
them again, talk to manager, and demand a new set sent. *Not sure how
my negotiations/demanding skills will play out on that scenario

Will be on the lookout for thetvacting up again and if it is, I'll
try to record.

Thanks again for the help!

I bought the same TV around the same time and my problems sound
similar. After the TV is on for a while (30 minutes), the screen
starts to flicker. This gets worse over a few minutes until the whole
screen eventually turns a flickering shade of blue. After turning it
off and waiting a half hour or so, the tv is watchable again, for a
while. No warranty means I'm out of luck too. This tv is to cheap to
fix at a repair center.

Because it never happened from the start, that it is wall mounted
pretty high up on my wall, and that I heard somwhere that it may have
to do with an overheating problem, I tried to cool it down with a fan
from the moment I turned it on. I noticed a clear decrease of
"garbled blue screen" incidents. The TV would have to be on for many
hours for it to happen again. I am trying to replace the ugly and
noisy rig I am currently using (old bathroom fan blowing from below
the tv towards it) with a home built array of quiet PC fans that I
plan to place on the vents above the TV to pull the heat out. Wish me
luck. I'll reply with my findings.