Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need Generic Freezer Wiring Diagram

After I commented on a freezer post last week, my ancient Sears
Coldspot freezer has been acting up. Before I unload everything so
that I can move it, and hopefully find a wiring diagram on the back, I
would like a generic wiring diagram so I can see what possible
connections might be. I can get to the defrost timer on the front
lower panel, and plan on checking it out, but also curious what other
connections might be.

It doesn't have to be a Sears freezer, any old wiring diagram that
includes a defrost thermostat would be appreciated. It would help to
confirm what I am expecting.

TIA,

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Sam Goldwasser wrote:

Not rocket science!

What's so complicated about rocket science, anyway? Is this the epitome
of human engineering? More intellectually elusive than brain surgery and
female orgasms combined? What this world needs is a good Rocket Science
for Dummies book.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 18, 1:14 pm, (Mark Zenier) wrote:
In article ,

hr(bob) wrote:
After I commented on a freezer post last week, my ancient Sears
Coldspot freezer has been acting up. Before I unload everything so
that I can move it, and hopefully find a wiring diagram on the back, I
would like a generic wiring diagram so I can see what possible
connections might be. I can get to the defrost timer on the front
lower panel, and plan on checking it out, but also curious what other
connections might be.

It doesn't have to be a Sears freezer, any old wiring diagram that
includes a defrost thermostat would be appreciated. It would help to
confirm what I am expecting.

Is it frost free? On a Whirlpool refrig., the defrost thermostat is a
high temperature (70 degrees F) cutout. I assume only comes into effect
when things are out of whack. It's in series with the defrost heater,
clipped to one of the brackets that hold the evaporator coils.

You should be able to ohm out the heater+defrost circuit at the timer
if the guts are buried down in a hard to get place.

Mark Zenier

Thanks to all commenters.

I finally got enough stuff out of the freezer to be abe to moce it, it
was in an alcove and really miserable to move on a carpeted floor
after 20 years in the same position.

Anyway, I was finally able to catch the unit at a temperature of 30
degrees with the timer in the run position, not the defrost position,
and the compressor not running. A tap on the thermostat and the
compressor started right up and took the temperature down to zero over
several hours. So, the problem is surely the thermostat. Now I want
to wait until I can move some more of the food out and then replace
the thermostat if I can't get at the contacts to polish them. Them a
lot of careful monitoring to make sure everything is really ok. I
will also replace the timer on general principles, it is at least 25
years old and for $25.00 my local parts store has a replacement. Even
if the new unit is mostly plastic, I feel better with a new timer.

Thanks again for suggestions, etc.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann