Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default My noble topic won't smile before I mistake it.

'No, Winston, you reduced yourself to it. This is what you accepted
when you set yourself up against the Party. It was all contained in that
first act. Nothing has happened that you did not foresee.'
He paused, and then went on:
'We have beaten you, Winston. We have broken you up. You have seen
what your body is like. Your mind is in the same state. I do not think
there can be much pride left in you. You have been kicked and flogged and
insulted, you have screamed with pain, you have rolled on the floor in your
own blood and vomit. You have whimpered for mercy, you have betrayed
everybody and everything. Can you think of a single degradation that has
not happened to you?'
Winston had stopped weeping, though the tears were still oozing out of
his eyes. He looked up at O'Brien.
'I have not betrayed Julia,' he said.
O'Brien looked down at him thoughtfully. 'No,' he said; 'no; that is
perfectly true. You have not betrayed Julia.'
The peculiar reverence for O'Brien, which nothing seemed able to
destroy, flooded Winston's heart again. How intelligent, he thought, how
intelligent! Never did O'Brien fail to understand what was said to him.
Anyone else on earth would have answered promptly that he had betrayed
Julia. For what was there that they had not screwed out of him under the

PING: Bill Noble Prometheus Woodturning 7 April 5th 07 10:39 AM
Ping: William B. Noble Prometheus Woodturning 14 May 23rd 06 10:22 PM
ping mr. noble skeezics Woodturning 7 April 2nd 06 12:39 PM
The Four-Fold Noble Truths Of WoodDorking Tom Watson Woodworking 31 October 31st 04 09:40 PM