Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jay Jay is offline

Default Refrigerator getting warming then fixes itself.

For the last week our refrigerator/freezer was getting successively
warmer each day. I looked
on line and thought it may be the defrost timer/thermostat. I open up
the back panel (side-by-side Frigidaire )
and saw that there was no frost build up on the coils. We had a guy
from G&G appliance come in and he
QUICKLY determined that there was a leak in the system or a
restriction in the condenser. He said to junk it, it would be to
costly to fix.

However the next day (today) it is back to normal. The freezer is ice-
cold again and the fridge is cold.

I called the guy back and he said that if there was a leak, moisture
could have gotten into the condenser and caused
the restriction. Once it warmed up enough the moisture freed itself
and the fridge must have started to work again.
He still stood by his decision to junk the fridge and that there is
still a leak that could come back in 1 week or 6 mos.

My question is, if there is a leak, how could it have fixed itself and
cooled itself back off... wouldn't the refrigerant have dissipated?
Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to get a new one!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jay" wrote in message
[...]

His diagnosis may well be correct, though usually any sort of leak will lose
all the refrigerant fairly rapidly. It could also be some other bit of
contamination in the system that lodged itself in the expansion orifice or
one of the reed valves in the compressor. Let it go for a while and see if
it happens again, but if the compressor is running and the evaporator isn't
getting cold, there's obviously a problem in the hermetic system. I've been
playing around with refrigeration for a few years, but unless you have a
decent vacuum pump, a guage set, silver solder, and good knowledge of how
the system works, there isn't much you can do. There's some legal aspects
too, though getting a type I certification is a joke, and besides, it's
perfectly legal to use R143a to blow dust out of your computer, but illegal
to vent it if used as a refrigerant. Gotta love silly loopholes.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jay Jay is offline

On Dec 7, 9:51 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 15:19:27 -0800, Jay wrote:
[...]

If it had a leak, the freon would leak out. If there was moisture in the
system it could cause an ice restriction in the evaporator (cooling coil)
then go away when it warmed up. Don't know what other mubo jumbo the G&G
dude told you but what I said is the way it is, period.

Yeah, that's basically what he he said, I just couldn't remember it
right.
Is it possible that it would come back?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 7, 9:56 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 19:13:14 -0800, Jay wrote:
[...]

I was only speculating on the blockage being ice. If your fridge has been
trouble free and hasn't been worked on pertaining to the sealed system
there isn't any way for moisture to get in to make ice. But to answer your
question yes, a blockage could occur again. Is this the culprit? Don't
know for sure without paying you a service call next time it acts up

As far as a leak goes it doesn't take much loss to disrupt the operation
and that loss can happen quickly. One thing that does trouble me is that
an experienced technician will be able to distinguish between a leak and
a blockage and not leave you with "it could be one or the other." Maybe
next time if it happens get another company to have a look. Hell it could
even be totally unrelated to the freon system like maybe a defrost timer
stuck on.- Hide quoted text -

How much did you have to pay for the non-service call? That guy was
playing pretty fast and loose with the truth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jay Jay is offline

On Dec 7, 11:38 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

$60. He basically said all of that what you guys said. Either a
leak or a blockage
in the system. The compressor was running, there was no ice in the
back back panel at all.
The heater was not on either. We ended up moving it out to the
garage... Thanks for all the
the help!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jay" wrote in message
[...]

Since the problem obviously isn't a leak (since it does operate properly on
occasion), the problem must be an obstruction within the sealed system. I've
had one refrigerator and two automobile A/C units that had the same symptoms,
all with the same root cause. The problem in all was a broken desiccant bag,
which allowed the chunks of desiccant to roam freely inside the system. The
bits of the desiccant would restrict the Freon and not allow proper cooling.

The only remedy for the refrigerator was replacement, since the cost of repair
was close to the cost of a new box. The auto repairs involved opening the
system, and back flushing to clear the desiccant out of the system, replacement
of the dryer and recharging. Not cheap, but the only recourse available.

In your case, unless the problem is properly diagnosed and repaired, it will
continue to plague you, and always at the most inopportune times.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Jay wrote:

My question is, if there is a leak, how could it have fixed itself and
cooled itself back off... wouldn't the refrigerant have dissipated?
Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to get a new one!

Our (then) 18 year old Whirlpool had that symptom a couple of years ago.

After a defrost cycle, the compressor would cycle on for only a few
seconds every minute or so, then after a couple of hours of that, it
would start up again, stay running, and cool things down. Usually
after the ice cream had melted.

It turned out to be a defective overload thermostat on the compressor.
My guess is that after a defrost cycle, the compressor was a bigger load
and the overload switch (a bimetal click disk) would self heat and cut
out.

The new combined overload switch/start relay ($44) has worked fine since.
The new unit (made by GE, go figure) appears to be solid state, probably
using PTC resistors instead of bimetal disks and that funny bouncing
start relay armature.

Mark Zenier

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jay" wrote in message
[...]

Is it a frost-free freezer in the refrigerator? It may be sticking in the
defrost cycle.

Instant Fixes & Service Manuals Billy L Jones Electronics Repair 2 August 26th 07 04:06 AM
Who fixes this? AE Todd Home Repair 5 May 15th 07 03:08 PM
Possible Fixes for Hardwood Floor Hump. Shelfish Home Repair 4 January 28th 07 05:58 AM
Roof leak Temporary fixes bee man Home Repair 18 December 21st 05 04:21 PM
Laptop motherboard fixes with pressure Dr. Anton T. Squeegee Electronics Repair 16 June 2nd 05 04:21 AM