Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

Default classic NAD MR-20 for sale

After 20+ years of faithful service (please forgive the pathetic fallacy),
my NAD MR-20 has started having problems (which I'll get to shortly).

In the late '80s, NAD (New Acoustic Dimension) and Proton started making
high-quality color TVs, in an attempt to take market share from Sony who
(from my point of view) was the only company trying to deliver a
consistently good picture.

The MR-20 was a success (you might still be able to find my review on the
Stereophile site), and I suspect thousands of them are still in use. It is
_absolutely_ a classic color TV, one of the first to take on Sony and beat
it at its own game.

This particular MR-20 was purchased in the late '80s, not long after it was
introduced. It's actually an MR-20a, the modification being an improvement
to the comb filter that reduced the visibility of "hanging dots". The set
has roughly 20K hours on it (frightening!), and until now had only one
problem, a bad cap on the video driver board.

A few weeks ago it abruptly began showing drops in brightness along with a
loss of sharpness. Since then, it has more or less stabilized. It now takes
about 5 to 10 minutes for the CRT to come to full brightness, after which
the picture is generally good, with occasional losses of brightness &
sharpness, or a slight "flickering" of the black level.

It's not clear what the problem is. It could be a bad HV rectifier, more bad
caps on the driver board, or even a failing CRT. Not surprisingly, parts are
no longer available.

I've decided not to make any effort to fix the MR-20. It's my home-office
set, and I can substitute an old Sony 13" for it. (Perhaps next year I'll
buy a 26" Vizio. You should see the new 52" Vizio -- outstanding picture,
and dirt-cheap.)

The cabinet is in excellent condition. The only cosmetic "problem" is that
the sheet of plate glass protecting the CRT disintegrated several years ago.
(That's an interesting story in and of itself.)

The MR-20 wasn't cheap, but it's given so much service I could toss it
without thinking twice. However, I'd rather sell it to someone who collects
classic TVs. Though I normally keep cartons for everything, the MR-20 carton
is long-gone, and it's a heavy set that isn't easy (or cheap) to ship
safely.

If anyone is interested, please contact me directly. I'll be happy to supply
photos and any specifics.

Thank you.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

On Sep 17, 8:36 am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
[...]

Why don't you see if Bill Noble's 17" Trinitron is still kicking
around? It would have no remote but with my luck with them it'll make
it till there's nothing to watch off-air and then some.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

"Jeffrey D Angus" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:
The MR-20 wasn't cheap, but it's given so much service
I could toss it without thinking twice.

As my mother used to say, "Eat this, we were just going
to throw it away."

That sounds more Jewish than Scottish...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

William Sommerwerck wrote:
The MR-20 wasn't cheap, but it's given so much service
I could toss it without thinking twice.

As my mother used to say, "Eat this, we were just going
to throw it away."

That sounds more Jewish than Scottish...

Haggis is Scottish. It would certainly make sense in
that context.

--
Tim Mullen
Am I in your basement? Looking for antique televisions, fans, etc.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

In Jeffrey D Angus writes:

Definition of haggis.

Slaughter a sheep. Sell all the edible parts to the English.
Cook the rest and call it haggis.

That being said, it 'tis a truly wonderful food.
But then again, I like Marmite and Vegemite as well.

Y'all over there in the corner better watch out when
Jeff offers to cook "Jugged Hare".

--
Tim Mullen
Am I in your basement? Looking for antique televisions, fans, etc.
------ finger this account or call anytime: (212)-463-0552 -------

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

That being said, [haggis] 'tis a truly wonderful food.

It can also be a movie. See Paul Haggis's "Crash". Horrible, horrible.

But then again, I like Marmite and Vegemite as well.

I like the taste of Vegemite a lot. But the salt keeps you from any more
than a little of it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

Y'all over there in the corner better watch out when
Jeff offers to cook "Jugged Hare".

I came across "jugged rabbit" recently in "Dead Man's Walk". Had to look it
up.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

In "William Sommerwerck" writes:

That being said, [haggis] 'tis a truly wonderful food.

It can also be a movie. See Paul Haggis's "Crash". Horrible, horrible.

That bad, huh? He's a prolific, critically-acclaimed writer/producer/
director, but for no particular reason I haven't seen any of his films.

The other "Crash", based on the J. G. Ballard novel about car crash
fetishes, is quite good. Eva's favorite film -- and she wanted me to
teach her how to drive. Uh-uh.

I like the taste of Vegemite a lot. But the salt keeps you from any more
than a little of it. ^^^^^

"protects"

--
Tim Mullen
Am I in your basement? Looking for antique televisions, fans, etc.
------ finger this account or call anytime: (212)-463-0552 -------
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

Tim Mullen wrote:

In "William Sommerwerck" writes:

That being said, [haggis] 'tis a truly wonderful food.

It can also be a movie. See Paul Haggis's "Crash". Horrible, horrible.

That bad, huh? He's a prolific, critically-acclaimed writer/producer/
director, but for no particular reason I haven't seen any of his films.

The other "Crash", based on the J. G. Ballard novel about car crash
fetishes, is quite good. Eva's favorite film -- and she wanted me to
teach her how to drive. Uh-uh.

Sounds like you need a 'Nerf' car! ;-)

I like the taste of Vegemite a lot. But the salt keeps you from any more
than a little of it. ^^^^^

"protects"

--
Tim Mullen
Am I in your basement? Looking for antique televisions, fans, etc.
------ finger this account or call anytime: (212)-463-0552 -------

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

It can also be a movie. See Paul Haggis's "Crash". Horrible, horrible.

That bad, huh? He's a prolific, critically-acclaimed writer/producer/
director, but for no particular reason I haven't seen any of his films.

"Crash" is one of the worst films ever to get Best Picture.

The other "Crash", based on the J. G. Ballard novel about car crash
fetishes, is quite good. Eva's favorite film -- and she wanted me to
teach her how to drive. Uh-uh.

That's on my "maybe one day" list of films to see.

I like the taste of Vegemite a lot. But the salt keeps you from
any more than a little of it. ^^^^^

"protects"

I meant to say "keeps you from eating any more than a little of it".

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

In "William Sommerwerck" writes:

The other "Crash", based on the J. G. Ballard novel about car crash
fetishes, is quite good. Eva's favorite film -- and she wanted me to
teach her how to drive. Uh-uh.

That's on my "maybe one day" list of films to see.

Certainly not a great film in the literary sense, but it is
very sexy.

[Vegemite]

I meant to say "keeps you from eating any more than a little of it".

A friend calls hot peppers the ironic vegetable, since presumably
the sting developed to ward off predators, and now people eat them
because of the sting!

--
Tim Mullen
Am I in your basement? Looking for antique televisions, fans, etc.
------ finger this account or call anytime: (212)-463-0552 -------

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

Jeffrey D Angus wrote:

Definition of haggis.

Slaughter a sheep. Sell all the edible parts to the English.
Cook the rest and call it haggis.

And all this time, I thought 'haggis' was Scottish for "gag a maggot".

;-)

help with classic NAD MR-20 William Sommerwerck Electronics Repair 2 September 5th 07 01:27 AM
Classic lesson Phil Kyle UK diy 0 October 17th 06 03:03 PM
Classic lesson Phil Kyle UK diy 0 October 17th 06 03:00 PM
Classic Oil Can [email protected] Metalworking 10 April 7th 05 01:52 AM
Spot Cooler 1.5 Ton, MovinCool Classic 18 for Sale [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 7th 05 08:04 PM