Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony TC-K590: capstan-motor always running when power is on?

Hello!
I got a Sony TC-K590-tape-deck. It seems to work ok, only one thing is
strange. The capstan-motor is running as soon as the deck is powered on.
Even without tape, door open/close doesn't matter. No "need" to press play for
it to start running.
First I thought it might be similar to this problem:
http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/.../msg00903.html
But here there was action even when it was powered down. Also my backlight
is dark/normal. And the faulty resistor mentioned is not the same value in the
K590 as in Alans K620, so they might not be that similar.
I got the thing used and in this state, so I don't know if it always did this.
Does anybody have an idea what might be wrong, or even how to fix it? Or is
this maybe even normal? I've never seen that on another tape and it doesn't
seem to be a healthy behaviour.
Thanks a lot for any hints.
All the best,
rob
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I can't think of any good tape recorder I've owned that _didn't_ run the
capstan motor all the time. It simply makes sense.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck schrieb:
I can't think of any good tape recorder I've owned that _didn't_ run the
capstan motor all the time. It simply makes sense.

Oh. My other non-crappy recorder (onkyo ta-2550) doesn't do it. Thanks for the
info (also to Meat Plow). Care to explain why that makes sense? The downsides
are that it wastes power and make (soft, but anyway) noises. What is it good for?

Thanks & all the best,
rob
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Robert Linden" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck schrieb:
I can't think of any good tape recorder I've owned that _didn't_
run the capstan motor all the time. It simply makes sense.

Oh. My other non-crappy recorder (Onkyo TA-2550) doesn't do it. Thanks for

the
info (also to Meat Plow). Care to explain why that makes sense? The

downsides
are that it wastes power and make (soft, but anyway) noises. What is it

good for?

The power waste is minimal, because people don't usually leave their tape
decks turned on without playing or recording.

The practical advantage is that the capstan is "guaranteed" to be running at
the right speed when the tape starts moving. That's something you'd expect
from a "professional" (or "good amateur") tape deck.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Linden wrote:

William Sommerwerck schrieb:
I can't think of any good tape recorder I've owned that _didn't_ run the
capstan motor all the time. It simply makes sense.

Oh. My other non-crappy recorder (onkyo ta-2550) doesn't do it. Thanks for the
info (also to Meat Plow). Care to explain why that makes sense? The downsides
are that it wastes power and make (soft, but anyway) noises. What is it good for?

Thanks & all the best,
rob

The capstan motor usually has a fan blade to cool the deck.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida