Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony TV model KV-24FV10 set from hell

I got this set in after a storm. There was a black flash burn on the
board across the AC line terminals. When turn on is attempted the
relay clicks about twice every second. I have checked just about every
component on the power supply board. I have replaced the following
components, (Some of which didn't seem bad when comparing them to new
replacements with an ohm meter) but I replaced them anyway:
IC602, (SE135)
R648, (2.2K)
D606, (TF541M)
PH600, (PC123)
IC601, (STRF6626)
I've had this pig almost two months now so it is a total loss as far
as trying to make any money on it but I would at least like to try to
get my parts value out of it and maybe preserve a little dignity. I'm
not really sure how to troubleshoot this clicking relay symptom. Did
I miss something? Can any one help me with any ideas and perhaps a
schematic? Thanks for any assistance with this. Lenny Stein, Barlen
Electronics.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On 29 ago, 15:26, "
wrote:
[...]

Anything hit by lightning should be written off, (at least if initial
replacement of the rectifier, fuse etc. does not cure it) - its time
and money down the drain. In my experience, equipment subjected to
storms usually has all manner of unpredictable faults arise sooner or
later. toss it and save yourself wasting any more time than you have
already with this heap.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 29, 7:37 pm, b wrote:
On 29 ago, 15:26, "

wrote:
[...]

already with this heap.- Hide quoted text -

I can appreciate what you're saying however I would like to NOT have
to cut my losses if possible. So if anyone else has any other thoughts
other than giving up on it please let me know. Thanks, Lenny.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:26:40 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Try putting a jumper across the relay. This will at least allow you
to see what the set does when it's forced on.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

We found that any electronics device that has been hit by lightning can have
too many faults, and be unreliable.

As from what I see, you have been putting in a lot of time, and a few
dollars. This is no worth the effort, especially on such an old set. For
the effort you put in to it, you could have done some work that would make
enough money to go out and get a nice working TV set!

--

Jerry G.
======

wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I fully agree with you. When I was working in the service business, I have
see this type of thing before. Especially in a modern TV set, there are many
CMOS devices, and computer type devices, that the possibility of damage is
very far up scale!

In the old tube days, the devices on the chassis were not very sensitive a
like today. With some patients and a fair amount of dollars the set would
usually be serviceable. But, these were vacuum tube sets with heavy type
components. In these old tube sets, the TV would have had to take a very
big lightning hit in order to not be serviceable.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:11:24 -0700, wrote:

On Aug 29, 7:37 pm, b wrote:
On 29 ago, 15:26, "

wrote:
[...]

Well my friend I wish you all the luck in the world. I would suspect
multiple faults after reading that the voltage spike was sufficient to arc
across the AC terminals. I've worked on many various consumer electronic
devices being formerly employed by a major brand warranty repair facility.
My experience with electronics exposed to proximity lightning surges is
that they usually are a lost cause. You have a surge that again was
sufficient to not only arc across the AC input but to cause burning on the
board. I wouldn't even venture to guess how many thousands of
instantaneous volts it took to do that but I would guess as to what kind
of havoc that potent of a surge wreaked upon the circuitry downstream.
Sorry I didn't have anything encouraging to say.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have a feeling that when he does that, the horizontal out put will go up
in smoke! Sometimes this relay cycles, because there are no drive pulses
getting to the horizontal and or vertical output stages. There are many
things that can stop the drive pulses.

--

Jerry G.
======

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 05:21:38 -0400, "Jerry G."
wrote:

I have a feeling that when he does that, the horizontal out put will go up
in smoke! Sometimes this relay cycles, because there are no drive pulses
getting to the horizontal and or vertical output stages. There are many
things that can stop the drive pulses.

I've never seen a Sony damaged from lack of horizontal drive (except
when it loses it intermittently while it's running). If it does blow
the HOT, at least he'll know where to look next rather than wasting
more time on the power supply.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
I have a feeling that when he does that, the horizontal out put will go up
in smoke! Sometimes this relay cycles, because there are no drive pulses
getting to the horizontal and or vertical output stages. There are many
things that can stop the drive pulses.

I've never seen a Sony damaged from lack of horizontal drive (except
when it loses it intermittently while it's running). If it does blow
the HOT, at least he'll know where to look next rather than wasting
more time on the power supply.
Andy Cuffe

I tried first putting a 100W bulb across the relay. (I was also afraid
of smoking the HOT), but it just barely lit with each click. so at
least nothing is shorted. Then I jumped it with a clip lead. Still
nothing. Difficult to tell why there is apparently no drive. Maybe I
should give up on this one. Sucks to give up though. Thanks for
everyones advice. Lenny.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have also worked on alot of lightning hit stuff . It can ruin IC chips
in a way you will never find all the bad ones .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 31, 3:14 am, "Jerry G." wrote:
We found that any electronics device that has been hit by lightning can have
too many faults, and be unreliable.

As from what I see, you have been putting in a lot of time, and a few
dollars. This is no worth the effort, especially on such an old set. For
the effort you put in to it, you could have done some work that would make
enough money to go out and get a nice working TV set!

--

Jerry G.
======

wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

You didn't replace the relay?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Steven wrote:

On Aug 31, 3:14 am, "Jerry G." wrote:
We found that any electronics device that has been hit by lightning can have
too many faults, and be unreliable.

As from what I see, you have been putting in a lot of time, and a few
dollars. This is no worth the effort, especially on such an old set. For
the effort you put in to it, you could have done some work that would make
enough money to go out and get a nice working TV set!

--

Jerry G.
======

wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Go away Skippy. Leave the troubleshooting to people who have an idea
what they are doing. Go play in th street, and leave the adults alone.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida