Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jerry G. Jerry G. is offline

Default Sony TV model KV-24FV10 set from hell

I fully agree with you. When I was working in the service business, I have
see this type of thing before. Especially in a modern TV set, there are many
CMOS devices, and computer type devices, that the possibility of damage is
very far up scale!

In the old tube days, the devices on the chassis were not very sensitive a
like today. With some patients and a fair amount of dollars the set would
usually be serviceable. But, these were vacuum tube sets with heavy type
components. In these old tube sets, the TV would have had to take a very
big lightning hit in order to not be serviceable.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:11:24 -0700, wrote:

On Aug 29, 7:37 pm, b wrote:
On 29 ago, 15:26, "

wrote:
I got this set in after a storm. There was a black flash burn on the
board across the AC line terminals. When turn on is attempted the
relay clicks about twice every second. I have checked just about every
component on the power supply board. I have replaced the following
components, (Some of which didn't seem bad when comparing them to new
replacements with an ohm meter) but I replaced them anyway:
IC602, (SE135)
R648, (2.2K)
D606, (TF541M)
PH600, (PC123)
IC601, (STRF6626)
I've had this pig almost two months now so it is a total loss as far
as trying to make any money on it but I would at least like to try to
get my parts value out of it and maybe preserve a little dignity. I'm
not really sure how to troubleshoot this clicking relay symptom. Did
I miss something? Can any one help me with any ideas and perhaps a
schematic? Thanks for any assistance with this. Lenny Stein, Barlen
Electronics.

Anything hit by lightning should be written off, (at least if initial
replacement of the rectifier, fuse etc. does not cure it) - its time
and money down the drain. In my experience, equipment subjected to
storms usually has all manner of unpredictable faults arise sooner or
later. toss it and save yourself wasting any more time than you have
already with this heap.- Hide quoted text -

I can appreciate what you're saying however I would like to NOT have
to cut my losses if possible. So if anyone else has any other thoughts
other than giving up on it please let me know. Thanks, Lenny.

Well my friend I wish you all the luck in the world. I would suspect
multiple faults after reading that the voltage spike was sufficient to arc
across the AC terminals. I've worked on many various consumer electronic
devices being formerly employed by a major brand warranty repair facility.
My experience with electronics exposed to proximity lightning surges is
that they usually are a lost cause. You have a surge that again was
sufficient to not only arc across the AC input but to cause burning on the
board. I wouldn't even venture to guess how many thousands of
instantaneous volts it took to do that but I would guess as to what kind
of havoc that potent of a surge wreaked upon the circuitry downstream.
Sorry I didn't have anything encouraging to say.