Posted to msn.forums.homeimprove,news.electronics.repair,sci.electronic.repair,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default how to wash electro-static air cleaner

I have a electro-static air cleaner.
This electrical system init is inside the air-condition/heater air duct.
This system has a removable electro-static charged plates in the air flow.

In time, these plates are coated with dirt.
I can wipe it off using a Q-tip.
But these fins are too narrow gaps to wash.
I tried Windex and did not do much.
Is there a good way to wash off these dust & dirt?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"AJackson" wrote in message
.. .
I have a electro-static air cleaner.
This electrical system init is inside the air-condition/heater air duct.
This system has a removable electro-static charged plates in the air flow.

In time, these plates are coated with dirt.
I can wipe it off using a Q-tip.
But these fins are too narrow gaps to wash.
I tried Windex and did not do much.
Is there a good way to wash off these dust & dirt?

Pressure washer and plain water. If your garden hose has good pressure,
that might do it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"AJackson" wrote in
:

I have a electro-static air cleaner.
This electrical system init is inside the air-condition/heater air
duct. This system has a removable electro-static charged plates in the
air flow.

In time, these plates are coated with dirt.
I can wipe it off using a Q-tip.
But these fins are too narrow gaps to wash.
I tried Windex and did not do much.
Is there a good way to wash off these dust & dirt?

will it fit in your auto dishwasher? that will degrease it nicely.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
"AJackson" wrote in
:

I have a electro-static air cleaner.
This electrical system init is inside the air-condition/heater air
duct. This system has a removable electro-static charged plates in the
air flow.

In time, these plates are coated with dirt.
I can wipe it off using a Q-tip.
But these fins are too narrow gaps to wash.
I tried Windex and did not do much.
Is there a good way to wash off these dust & dirt?

will it fit in your auto dishwasher? that will degrease it nicely.

Hi...

That's what the manufacturer suggested for mine; but I found the
idea to be at best a bit unappetizing...

Far better, for me at least, was to hose it down vigorously in
the driveway.

Take care.

Ken

Posted to msn.forums.homeimprove,news.electronics.repair,sci.electronic.repair,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 13:02:02 -0700, "AJackson"
wrote:

I have a electro-static air cleaner.
This electrical system init is inside the air-condition/heater air duct.
This system has a removable electro-static charged plates in the air flow.

In time, these plates are coated with dirt.
I can wipe it off using a Q-tip.
But these fins are too narrow gaps to wash.
I tried Windex and did not do much.
Is there a good way to wash off these dust & dirt?

Pressure washer
D from BC
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"AJackson" wrote in
:

I have a electro-static air cleaner.
This electrical system init is inside the air-condition/heater air
duct. This system has a removable electro-static charged plates in the
air flow.
In time, these plates are coated with dirt.
I can wipe it off using a Q-tip.
But these fins are too narrow gaps to wash.
I tried Windex and did not do much.
Is there a good way to wash off these dust & dirt?

will it fit in your auto dishwasher? that will degrease it nicely.

Hi...

That's what the manufacturer suggested for mine; but I found the
idea to be at best a bit unappetizing...

Your choice, but you breathe whatever crud is on it.

Far better, for me at least, was to hose it down vigorously in
the driveway.

Take care.

Ken

Posted to msn.forums.homeimprove,news.electronics.repair,sci.electronic.repair,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"AJackson" wrote in message
.. .
I have a electro-static air cleaner.
This electrical system init is inside the air-condition/heater air duct.
This system has a removable electro-static charged plates in the air flow.

In time, these plates are coated with dirt.
I can wipe it off using a Q-tip.
But these fins are too narrow gaps to wash.
I tried Windex and did not do much.
Is there a good way to wash off these dust & dirt?

I run them through the dishwasher, no need to use detergent but just a tiny
bit helps.

Posted to msn.forums.homeimprove,news.electronics.repair,sci.electronic.repair,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"AJackson" wrote in message
.. .
I have a electro-static air cleaner.
This electrical system init is inside the air-condition/heater air
duct.
This system has a removable electro-static charged plates in the
air flow.

In time, these plates are coated with dirt.
I can wipe it off using a Q-tip.
But these fins are too narrow gaps to wash.
I tried Windex and did not do much.
Is there a good way to wash off these dust & dirt?

I run them through the dishwasher, no need to use detergent but just
a tiny bit helps.

You would want to use a detergent that is "safe" with aluminum.

Or you can just hose it off, or soak it in dish soap and then hose it
off. Watch out for the pressure washer - you could easily bend the
precipitor plates.

Bob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

CJT wrote:

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"AJackson" wrote in
:

I have a electro-static air cleaner.
This electrical system init is inside the air-condition/heater air
duct. This system has a removable electro-static charged plates in the
air flow.
In time, these plates are coated with dirt.
I can wipe it off using a Q-tip.
But these fins are too narrow gaps to wash.
I tried Windex and did not do much.
Is there a good way to wash off these dust & dirt?

will it fit in your auto dishwasher? that will degrease it nicely.

Hi...

That's what the manufacturer suggested for mine; but I found the
idea to be at best a bit unappetizing...

Your choice, but you breathe whatever crud is on it.

Probably the dust contains quite a bit of polonium etc. like the dust that
sticks to TV screens. If you wipe down a recently used TV and try it with a
geiger counter, it's quite interesting. I think it comes from the decay
products of radon. If the dust is left for a few days then it is no longer
noticeably radioactive.
http://www.blackcatsystems.com/science/radiation.html

Chris

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"CJT" wrote in message
Ken Weitzel wrote:

Hi...

That's what the manufacturer suggested for mine; but I found the
idea to be at best a bit unappetizing...

Your choice, but you breathe whatever crud is on it.

Far better, for me at least, was to hose it down vigorously in
the driveway.

Take care.

Ken

The brand:
White Rogers, Electro-Air Super Slim Twin, Electo-Air Cleaner.
Model: SST. Model # 20C26S-01002.

We tried: Dishwasher, windex, 409, hosing it down, garden hose, -- not
effective.

It still has lots of continous spark when the air-conditioner is running.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

AJackson wrote:
"CJT" wrote in message

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Hi...

That's what the manufacturer suggested for mine; but I found the
idea to be at best a bit unappetizing...

Your choice, but you breathe whatever crud is on it.

Far better, for me at least, was to hose it down vigorously in
the driveway.

Take care.

Ken

The brand:
White Rogers, Electro-Air Super Slim Twin, Electo-Air Cleaner.
Model: SST. Model # 20C26S-01002.

We tried: Dishwasher, windex, 409, hosing it down, garden hose, -- not
effective.

It still has lots of continous spark when the air-conditioner is running.

Either the dirt is not on the plates, but elsewhere in the device, or
else you've bent one or more of the plates.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , CJT wrote:
Ken Weitzel wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"AJackson" wrote in
:

I have a electro-static air cleaner.
This electrical system init is inside the air-condition/heater air
duct. This system has a removable electro-static charged plates in the
air flow.
In time, these plates are coated with dirt.
I can wipe it off using a Q-tip.
But these fins are too narrow gaps to wash.
I tried Windex and did not do much.
Is there a good way to wash off these dust & dirt?

will it fit in your auto dishwasher? that will degrease it nicely.

Hi...

That's what the manufacturer suggested for mine; but I found the
idea to be at best a bit unappetizing...

Your choice, but you breathe whatever crud is on it.

When it sticks to it, it does not come off to breath.

Especially smoke particles are best taken off by spraying with a harsh
cleaner like Castrol Superclean or Greased Lightning. Spray it on, let soak, and
wash it off. repeat if necessary. Large dust particles should first be driven off with
an outside air gun or water hose.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , Chris Jones wrote:
CJT wrote:

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"AJackson" wrote in
:

[...]

I have tried to measure with hand counters and can no get anything to register.
You really need a long term monitor to measure very small traces. While I have not
actually tried the TV, I have tried carbon filters.

There might be a film or discoloring or corrosion on the plates which will only slighty
affect performance.

greg

Chris

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 6, 7:46 pm, Ken Weitzel wrote:

That's what the manufacturer suggested for mine; but I found the
idea to be at best a bit unappetizing...

A good dishwasher (makes and) uses 180F water, a strong chlorine-
bleach/phosphorous-based detergent and considerable heat to dry. It
also will accept and clean (properly) unrinsed plates complete with
pasta-sauce and small bits of food, fine china and so forth. I am not
so sure which is less appetizing: congealed food, grease and gravy or
dust and oils taken out of the air that... coincidentally.... we also
breath. Either way, the actual quantities involved inside that filter
are in the milligrams vs. the many grams on a single dinner plate.

The dishwasher (if a good one) is the way to go. You just might be
shocked and amazed at what has gone through our unit, with uniformly
good results.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article . com, " wrote:
On Jul 6, 7:46 pm, Ken Weitzel wrote:

That's what the manufacturer suggested for mine; but I found the
idea to be at best a bit unappetizing...

A good dishwasher (makes and) uses 180F water, a strong chlorine-
bleach/phosphorous-based detergent and considerable heat to dry. It
also will accept and clean (properly) unrinsed plates complete with
pasta-sauce and small bits of food, fine china and so forth. I am not
so sure which is less appetizing: congealed food, grease and gravy or
dust and oils taken out of the air that... coincidentally.... we also
breath. Either way, the actual quantities involved inside that filter
are in the milligrams vs. the many grams on a single dinner plate.

The dishwasher (if a good one) is the way to go. You just might be
shocked and amazed at what has gone through our unit, with uniformly
good results.

If the assembly is plastic, I would be carefull with heat.

You can also cook fish in the dishwasher.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 9, 12:11 pm, (GregS) wrote:

If the assembly is plastic, I would be carefull with heat.

You can also cook fish in the dishwasher.

Top rack.

One "steams" fish in a dishwasher. Cooking it is hardly the correct
term. Bluefish does very nicely that way but I still prefer a
traditional steamer....

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 9, 1:02 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:

I never use the dryer built into the dishwasher.
for electronics,I use a temp-controlled drying oven.

We have a unit that does not have an exposed drying element but uses
hot air blown across an internal coil. So it is far more gentle on
plastics than otherwise.I have put motors, circuit boards and all
sorts of stuff through with no harm or residue. The most impressive
'clean' is when we put the grease-catching filters from the exhaust
hood through, although the hot-tub filters are a close second.

I would not use an exposed-element DW to dry anything electronic as
you suggest.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

GregS wrote:
Especially smoke particles are best taken off by spraying with a harsh
cleaner like Castrol Superclean or Greased Lightning. Spray it on, let soak, and
wash it off. repeat if necessary. Large dust particles should first be driven off with
an outside air gun or water hose.

I found Simple Green, used full strength, to be great at melting off the
nicotine film on stuff.

--
Postulate a group whose intent is to destroy the United States from within
via anarchy and bankruptcy. The actions of the United States Congress are
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , Jim Yanik wrote:
(GregS) wrote in
:

In article , CJT
wrote:
Ken Weitzel wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"AJackson" wrote in
:

[...]

Auto dishwasher detergent is superb at removing grease.
Perhaps the detergent the OP used left a anti-spotting film and that's why
the filter arcs.

First time I heard that the filter arcs.

If it arcs long, carbon traces can form, and that would be hard to clean up.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"GregS" wrote in message
In article . com,
" wrote:
[...]

The entire assembly is metal. I think all the internal fins are aluminum or
tin?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"AJackson" wrote in message
The brand:
White Rogers, Electro-Air Super Slim Twin, Electo-Air Cleaner.
Model: SST. Model # 20C26S-01002.

We tried: Dishwasher, windex, 409, hosing it down, garden hose, --
not
effective.

It still has lots of continous spark when the air-conditioner is
running.

Look for bent plates or broken wires. On one unit, just repositioning
the element cured the problem. I couldn't figure out just why.
(honeywell)

Bob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message

It still has lots of continous spark when the air-conditioner is running.

Look for bent plates or broken wires. On one unit, just repositioning the
element cured the problem. I couldn't figure out just why. (honeywell)

Bob

OK. Look and check, no broken wires or bent plates.
However, inside the fins are coated with blackened dust.
Unable to wash the dirt off inside. The wires are too thin to reach inside.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"AJackson" wrote in message
.. .
"Bob F" wrote in message

It still has lots of continous spark when the air-conditioner is
running.

Look for bent plates or broken wires. On one unit, just
repositioning the element cured the problem. I couldn't figure out
just why. (honeywell)

Bob

OK. Look and check, no broken wires or bent plates.
However, inside the fins are coated with blackened dust.
Unable to wash the dirt off inside. The wires are too thin to reach
inside.

If you can open up the furnace front or other place so that you can
watch the cleaner in operation, you might see where it is arcing. If
it is primarily in one place, check that area carefully for damage.
Bent plates can include barely visable differences in separation.

Run the element through the dishwasher, or soak it in dish detergetnt
then hose it off. Either should be sufficient.

Bob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message news:db2dnZ-
If you can open up the furnace front or other place so that you can watch
the cleaner in operation, you might see where it is arcing. If it is
primarily in one place, check that area carefully for damage. Bent plates
can include barely visable differences in separation.

Run the element through the dishwasher, or soak it in dish detergetnt then
hose it off. Either should be sufficient.

Bob

No, cannot close the Electro-Air Cleaner lid which plug the unit into AC
power.

Electro engraver? Gunner Metalworking 10 April 26th 06 05:24 AM
Static on Vauum Cleaner! Maria UK diy 3 September 26th 05 11:51 PM
electro part MP\(W\) Electronics Repair 1 April 12th 05 05:09 PM
Electro Voice AP2600A Pwr Amp t.hoehler Electronics Repair 2 February 5th 04 07:21 PM
Static Cleaner Fast Eddy Electronics Repair 1 July 15th 03 10:35 AM