Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default solder gauge?

I work in manufacturing, not repair, and keep the human robots supplied
with .015, .020, .025, .031, .040, and .050 diameter solder. The range
of things we work on makes having a broad selection helpful. But I
wonder what repair techs use most frequently? (If I could only have one
size, I'd go with the .025 I think.) Also I assume you guys on the other
side of the ditch are using metric sizes?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I work in manufacturing, not repair, and keep the human robots supplied
with .015, .020, .025, .031, .040, and .050 diameter solder. The range
of things we work on makes having a broad selection helpful. But I
wonder what repair techs use most frequently? (If I could only have one
size, I'd go with the .025 I think.) Also I assume you guys on the other
side of the ditch are using metric sizes?

I use almost exclusively 0.7mm for general repair work. I also have a reel
of 0.5mm for surface mount work, and some 1mm for 'heavy' work

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Smitty Two wrote:
I work in manufacturing, not repair, and keep the human robots supplied
with .015, .020, .025, .031, .040, and .050 diameter solder. The range
of things we work on makes having a broad selection helpful. But I
wonder what repair techs use most frequently? (If I could only have one
size, I'd go with the .025 I think.) Also I assume you guys on the other
side of the ditch are using metric sizes?

Yes. My home made dispenser has 1.2, 0.9, 0.7, 0.5mm and 0.9 is the most
used one. But I do little SM stuff.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I work in manufacturing, not repair, and keep the human robots supplied
with .015, .020, .025, .031, .040, and .050 diameter solder. The range
of things we work on makes having a broad selection helpful. But I
wonder what repair techs use most frequently? (If I could only have one
size, I'd go with the .025 I think.) Also I assume you guys on the other
side of the ditch are using metric sizes?

I use almost exclusively 0.7mm for general repair work. I also have a reel
of 0.5mm for surface mount work, and some 1mm for 'heavy' work

Arfa

I just buy the smallest stuff I can find, it's the same cost per pound
generally. Somewhere I have a roll of heavier stuff for big connections but
usually I'm too lazy to go dig it out and just feed in a bunch of thin
stuff.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article xGHhi.582$105.445@trndny08,
James Sweet wrote:
I use almost exclusively 0.7mm for general repair work. I also have a
reel of 0.5mm for surface mount work, and some 1mm for 'heavy' work

Arfa

I just buy the smallest stuff I can find, it's the same cost per pound
generally. Somewhere I have a roll of heavier stuff for big connections
but usually I'm too lazy to go dig it out and just feed in a bunch of
thin stuff.

In the UK the most common size for leaded is 1.2mm and it's vastly cheaper
than the smaller sizes. One quick comparison gives a 500 gm reel of 1.2 at
12.70 gbp, and a 500gm reel of 0.6 at 32.25, from the same maker
(Multicore)

--
*I get enough exercise just pushing my luck.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:
I use almost exclusively 0.7mm for general repair work. I also have a
reel of 0.5mm for surface mount work, and some 1mm for 'heavy' work

Arfa

I just buy the smallest stuff I can find, it's the same cost per pound
generally. Somewhere I have a roll of heavier stuff for big connections
but usually I'm too lazy to go dig it out and just feed in a bunch of
thin stuff.

In the UK the most common size for leaded is 1.2mm and it's vastly cheaper
than the smaller sizes. One quick comparison gives a 500 gm reel of 1.2 at
12.70 gbp, and a 500gm reel of 0.6 at 32.25, from the same maker
(Multicore)

Blimey Dave ! I haven't used anything as thick of 1.2mm in about 20 years !
Even the 1mm that I have feels like you're soldering with welding rod !
d;~}

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I work in manufacturing, not repair, and keep the human robots supplied
with .015, .020, .025, .031, .040, and .050 diameter solder. The range
of things we work on makes having a broad selection helpful. But I
wonder what repair techs use most frequently? (If I could only have one
size, I'd go with the .025 I think.) Also I assume you guys on the other
side of the ditch are using metric sizes?

I use almost exclusively 0.7mm for general repair work. I also have a reel
of 0.5mm for surface mount work, and some 1mm for 'heavy' work

Arfa

That sounds about right, then, now that I've translated them into
meaningful U.S. style numbers.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
In the UK the most common size for leaded is 1.2mm and it's vastly
cheaper than the smaller sizes. One quick comparison gives a 500 gm
reel of 1.2 at 12.70 gbp, and a 500gm reel of 0.6 at 32.25, from the
same maker (Multicore)

Blimey Dave ! I haven't used anything as thick of 1.2mm in about 20
years ! Even the 1mm that I have feels like you're soldering with
welding rod ! d;~}

Yes - same here. But the fact remains it's much cheaper.

--
*Never kick a cow pat on a hot day *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
In the UK the most common size for leaded is 1.2mm and it's vastly
cheaper than the smaller sizes. One quick comparison gives a 500 gm
reel of 1.2 at 12.70 gbp, and a 500gm reel of 0.6 at 32.25, from the
same maker (Multicore)

Blimey Dave ! I haven't used anything as thick of 1.2mm in about 20
years ! Even the 1mm that I have feels like you're soldering with
welding rod ! d;~}

Yes - same here. But the fact remains it's much cheaper.

That's prob'ly coz they can't shift it !

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
Blimey Dave ! I haven't used anything as thick of 1.2mm in about 20
years ! Even the 1mm that I have feels like you're soldering with
welding rod ! d;~}

Yes - same here. But the fact remains it's much cheaper.

That's prob'ly coz they can't shift it !

It's the most commonly sold size. You'll find it on sale in most DIY
places - but very unlikely to find the thinner stuff there.

--
*Sometimes I wake up grumpy; Other times I let him sleep.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
Blimey Dave ! I haven't used anything as thick of 1.2mm in about 20
years ! Even the 1mm that I have feels like you're soldering with
welding rod ! d;~}

Yes - same here. But the fact remains it's much cheaper.

That's prob'ly coz they can't shift it !

It's the most commonly sold size. You'll find it on sale in most DIY
places - but very unlikely to find the thinner stuff there.

Are you sure that's not acid core plumbing solder?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article pP8ii.8088$pa5.4761@trndny05,
James Sweet wrote:
Blimey Dave ! I haven't used anything as thick of 1.2mm in about 20
years ! Even the 1mm that I have feels like you're soldering with
welding rod ! d;~}

Yes - same here. But the fact remains it's much cheaper.

That's prob'ly coz they can't shift it !

It's the most commonly sold size. You'll find it on sale in most DIY
places - but very unlikely to find the thinner stuff there.

Are you sure that's not acid core plumbing solder?

No. I take it you don't solder plumbing much either - that is usually 3mm
diameter.

1.2mm (actually 1.219) is 18 swg and the most commonly available size -
it's the only size the likes of Draper sell. Of course a decent
electronics supplier will have a range of sizes. But that wasn't my point.

--
*'Progress' and 'Change' are not synonyms.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:
Blimey Dave ! I haven't used anything as thick of 1.2mm in about 20
years ! Even the 1mm that I have feels like you're soldering with
welding rod ! d;~}

Yes - same here. But the fact remains it's much cheaper.

That's prob'ly coz they can't shift it !

It's the most commonly sold size. You'll find it on sale in most DIY
places - but very unlikely to find the thinner stuff there.

Are you sure that's not acid core plumbing solder?

No. I take it you don't solder plumbing much either - that is usually 3mm
diameter.

1.2mm (actually 1.219) is 18 swg and the most commonly available size -
it's the only size the likes of Draper sell. Of course a decent
electronics supplier will have a range of sizes. But that wasn't my point.

I do quite a bit of plumbing, I've never measured the solder though and
while I'm no stranger to metric, it's not as ingrained in my mind as
imperial measurements. It's just been a while since I've seen any
electronics solder as big as 1.2mm, even Ripoff Shack has it in smaller
sizes.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article Mriii.14452$MR5.14199@trndny02,
James Sweet wrote:
Are you sure that's not acid core plumbing solder?

No. I take it you don't solder plumbing much either - that is usually
3mm diameter.

1.2mm (actually 1.219) is 18 swg and the most commonly available size
- it's the only size the likes of Draper sell. Of course a decent
electronics supplier will have a range of sizes. But that wasn't my
point.

I do quite a bit of plumbing, I've never measured the solder though and
while I'm no stranger to metric, it's not as ingrained in my mind as
imperial measurements. It's just been a while since I've seen any
electronics solder as big as 1.2mm, even Ripoff Shack has it in smaller
sizes.

Heh heh - swg or awg etc doesn't mean much to me either. Mains cable sizes
in the UK have been listed by cross sectional area in mm˛ for some time,
and I can just about recognise them.

--
*All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , "Arfa Daily" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I work in manufacturing, not repair, and keep the human robots supplied
with .015, .020, .025, .031, .040, and .050 diameter solder. The range
of things we work on makes having a broad selection helpful. But I
wonder what repair techs use most frequently? (If I could only have one
size, I'd go with the .025 I think.) Also I assume you guys on the other
side of the ditch are using metric sizes?

I use almost exclusively 0.7mm for general repair work. I also have a reel
of 0.5mm for surface mount work, and some 1mm for 'heavy' work

Same here.
I buy the lower temperature stuff. 66/44

greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:
I work in manufacturing, not repair, and keep the human robots supplied
with .015, .020, .025, .031, .040, and .050 diameter solder. The range
of things we work on makes having a broad selection helpful. But I
wonder what repair techs use most frequently? (If I could only have one
size, I'd go with the .025 I think.) Also I assume you guys on the other
side of the ditch are using metric sizes?

Yes. My home made dispenser has 1.2, 0.9, 0.7, 0.5mm and 0.9 is the most
used one. But I do little SM stuff.

Today, I added another useful little item to my arsenal of soldering tackle.
It is tip re-tinner. Basically, it is a small 'cake' of quote "electronics
grade solder powder and chemicals" set in a little tin, with a stickypad on
the bottom to stick it to the bench - or in my case, on top of the Weller
desoldering station. All of my irons are on all of the time ready to just
snatch up and use as needed. The downside of this is that if they are not
used for a couple of days, the tip oxidises up enough to make retinning a
little difficult. Well, I don't know what the "chemicals" are in this little
cake, but the lightest stroke of an oxidised tip across its surface, and it
is gleaming again with perfect tin. Just happened to see it advertised on
the front of a flyer that one of my suppliers sent me, and as I was
ordering, thought I'd get some. Glad I did. It's certainly something that I
won't be without in the future.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

GregS wrote:

I buy the lower temperature stuff. 66/44

Thats 110 %

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

GregS wrote:

I buy the lower temperature stuff. 66/44

Thats 110 %

That's why it costs more.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

Solder? Pop` Home Repair 84 December 27th 06 01:15 AM
220 over 12 gauge [email protected] Home Repair 8 December 20th 06 08:17 AM
Can I stick two 4 gauge and one 6 gauge wire into a 3/4" conduit Ignoramus29948 Home Repair 11 September 13th 06 12:32 PM
SMD Solder Sunny Electronics Repair 0 January 10th 04 04:49 AM
Solder Bryan Electronics 2 August 23rd 03 07:37 PM