Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

John Larkin wrote:

There is the charming British expression "Oh go boil your head,
Bertie."

See? They were aHEAD of their time! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Rich Grise wrote:

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 09:57:06 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Spurious Response wrote:
If you're there to reduce the heat, why not simply use the boiling
water?

A lot of dishes require a maintained boil point... Like pasta, for
example.

You do pasta in a kettle? Have you some secret way of getting it to align
so it can be poured?

So things like lids allow continued boiling even after heat reduction.
No lid... no boil... Unless you bring the heat back up. Which is what
the lid id good for.

You've found a source of open kettles then? Is this a US thing? I don't
think they would conform to UK H&S regs. Do you dip the cup into them to
get the boiling water out?

In the US, a dedicated electric kettle is rare - you're much more likely
to see an electric skillet(frying pan). To boil water, we use a kettle on
the stove-top:
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=289833

A quick Google showed no shortage of the type we have here.
http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-.../dp/B00023XCWS

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Tam/WB2TT wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

Thinks. In the UK a kettle is only used for boiling water. Usually for
making tea or instant coffee. Do you guys call some form of general
cooking utensil a kettle too?

Having bought multiple cooking utensils in the past few years, I don't
recall seeing one in a box that said "kettle".

You're not familiar with these ?

http://www.google.com/search?&q=electric+kettle

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Tam/WB2TT wrote:

Having bought multiple cooking utensils in the past few years, I don't
recall seeing one in a box that said "kettle". From what I can gather, that
is pretty much an archaic term, and only used in a context such as tea
kettle; however, the latter is just as often called a tea pot.

There is a crucial distinction between the kettle, in which the water is
boiled, and the teapot, in which the tea is brewed (infused). If you've
been putting the tea leaves (or even bags) in the kettle, it's no wonder
the Americans prefer coffee.

There are other kinds of kettle, with neither side- handle nor spout,
but that's a different kettle of fish.

Paul Burke
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Paul Burke wrote:

Tam/WB2TT wrote:

Having bought multiple cooking utensils in the past few years, I don't
recall seeing one in a box that said "kettle". From what I can gather, that
is pretty much an archaic term, and only used in a context such as tea
kettle; however, the latter is just as often called a tea pot.

There is a crucial distinction between the kettle, in which the water is
boiled, and the teapot, in which the tea is brewed (infused). If you've
been putting the tea leaves (or even bags) in the kettle, it's no wonder
the Americans prefer coffee.

There are other kinds of kettle, with neither side- handle nor spout,
but that's a different kettle of fish.

A 'kettle' is of course historically simply a word for a container.

It seems to me that Tam is confusing the British kettle meaning electric or
cordless kettle with the American 'tea kettle' which is not a term used in the
UK.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
John Larkin wrote:
There is the charming British expression "Oh go boil your head,

ITYM 'Awa 'n' bile yer heed, Jimmy.

--
*Save the whale - I'll have it for my supper*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:02:56 +0100, Paul Burke wrote:

There are other kinds of kettle, with neither side- handle nor spout,
but that's a different kettle of fish.

Out of the frying pan, and into the kettle...
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Tam/WB2TT wrote:
If all else fails, read the instruction book. I didn't see anything in
the cookbook about pots/pans, but according to Webster's Dictionary a
kettle is a bowl shaped metal utensil. I take that to mean it has a
rounded bottom, like what one would use for making witches brew.
Probably not useful on an electric stove.

Go for a simple dictionary:-

Collins GEM English Dictionary
kettle n. container with a spout and handle used for boiling water. ˜a
fine kettle of fish an awkward situation.

By that kettle has also an older meaning in the UK. There's also a paint
kettle - an open pan with wire handle used by decorators.

--
*I want it all and I want it delivered

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Spurious Response wrote:
I'd love to see your proof. A 'two quart' saucepan will have *vast*
heat losses. A decent electric kettle can cope with just one cupful of
water if that's all that's needed.

Except that you cannot place your veggies in there, or any other
cooking need.

Nor can you with a frying pan. Have you a fetish for only using one type
of cooking utensil?

Some people do more than drink tea. We use continuously boiling water
for many cooking needs, and those are the only needs I have, and my cup
of tea works just fine with water that only takes a few minutes to boil
over a trickle flame.

Continuously boiling water for cooking needs?

I know how to apply heat to a surface and waste very little.

If you are boiling water 'continuously while cooking' you know nothing
about conserving energy. Or cooking, come to that.
Of course you could just be a troll.

--
*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Spurious Response wrote:

Except that you cannot place your veggies in there, or any other
cooking need.

Hey, you never met my dad. He used to boil eggs in the electric kettle.
I think you can place your stuff in there, it's getting it out again
that's the problem. But if you've forgotten to let the Beaujolais settle
to room temperature, DON'T try putting it in the electric kettle for a
quick boost.

Some people do more than drink tea.

All those civil servants sitting around drinking endless cups of tea.
But if the cups are endless, how do they get the tea out?

We use continuously boiling water...those are the only needs I have

Some people are so easily satisfied.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Spurious Response wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 22:38:57 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Usually for
making tea or instant coffee

3kW to make tea or coffee?

Bwuahahahahahahaha!

Talk about waste. Ol' Gore would be over for a party to join you, if
you let him have a news broadcast of how much electric gets wasted in UK
kitchens, he'll fly over (wasting fuel) and have tea with you (wasting
power).

Thanks for confirming you don't know the difference between energy and
power. It's pretty common with cretins.

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 20:47:47 -0700, Spurious Response
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 16:10:56 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

If it were spaghetti, so it could be poured out of the spout?

Here, a kettle can be anything from a tea kettle to a giant two foot
deep pot for LA Gumbo.

Kettle? We just cut a 55-gallon drum in half.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Paul Burke wrote:

Spurious Response wrote:

Except that you cannot place your veggies in there, or any other
cooking need.

Hey, you never met my dad. He used to boil eggs in the electric kettle.
I think you can place your stuff in there, it's getting it out again
that's the problem. But if you've forgotten to let the Beaujolais settle
to room temperature, DON'T try putting it in the electric kettle for a
quick boost.

Some people do more than drink tea.

All those civil servants sitting around drinking endless cups of tea.
But if the cups are endless, how do they get the tea out?

With their endless red tape, of course!

We use continuously boiling water...those are the only needs I have

Some people are so easily satisfied.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"Paul Burke" wrote in message
Tam/WB2TT wrote:

Having bought multiple cooking utensils in the past few years, I don't
recall seeing one in a box that said "kettle". From what I can gather,
that is pretty much an archaic term, and only used in a context such as
tea kettle; however, the latter is just as often called a tea pot.

There is a crucial distinction between the kettle, in which the water is
boiled, and the teapot, in which the tea is brewed (infused). If you've
been putting the tea leaves (or even bags) in the kettle, it's no wonder
the Americans prefer coffee.

There are other kinds of kettle, with neither side- handle nor spout, but
that's a different kettle of fish.

Paul Burke

For what it's worth, the dictionary defines a cauldron as a large kettle. So
to me, a kettle looks something like a cauldron, but not as big. I don't
know anybody who owns an electric tea brewer, though I do own 3 electric
coffee pots. The UK folks might be ripe for a samovar.

Tam

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

If it were spaghetti, so it could be poured out of the spout?

Here, a kettle can be anything from a tea kettle to a giant two foot
deep pot for LA Gumbo.

Kettle? We just cut a 55-gallon drum in half.

John

So, how many PCBs do you think you have introduced into your body over
the years with all the various and sundry exposure events we Americans
have the opportunity to endure?

Amount needed to cause a malignancy mutation: 2 parts per Billion.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Jasen Betts wrote in
:

On 2007-07-08, Spurious Response
wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 00:25:22 -0700, wrote:

no, they radiate less total energy because they take 1/3 the time and
radiated power is no different to a 1kW unit, since that depends
entirely on water temp and kettle shape & finish.

Sorry, but the difference in time heating 4 quarts of water in a 1kW
vat is NOT 3 times that of the 3kW unit.

There are constraints. The water has to still be there when you are
done.

If it takes a 1kW unit to heat it to boil in ten minutes, there is no
way in hell a 3kW unit will do it in three.

Of course not! it'd take three and twentyy seconds.

It is NOT linear, chucko.

for a heating element immersed in the water it is almost exactly linear,
do the math.

Bye.
Jasen

Some useful information:
1 cup is about 236.6 ml.
It take 1 cal to raise 1 ml of water by 1 degree.
A watt is about 0.239 cal/second.

Let us assume the cup of water starts at 25 C and you want to raise it to
100 C, that is 75 degrees that we want to heat the water.

So, it will require (236.6 ml x 75 deg x 1 cal/(deg x ml)) = 17744.25 cal
to raise a cup of water 75 deg C.

You can deliver those cals at any rate you like[see notes below]. A 1 kw
heater will deliver 239 cal per second. A 2 kw heater will deliver at
twice that rate.

74.3 seconds to heat a cup with a 1 kw heater.
37.1 seconds to heat a cup with a 2 kw heater.
[notes: ignoring losses in wiring, assuming efficient heat transfer from
heater to water, assuming no loss of heat from cup+heater combination]

If you want to factor in any of those, please state your assumptions [such
as thermal transfer resistance between heater and water, between container
and air. Those act much like series resistors as far as the heat is
concerned. You can model temperature difference as voltage drop and heat
transfer as current if you like. Any good engineering heat transfer text
will show you exactly how to do this{but in this case, it won't really
matter all that much}].

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Tam/WB2TT wrote:

"Paul Burke" wrote
Tam/WB2TT wrote:

[...]

You're fixating over a combined device for heating the water and brewing the
tea.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

bz wrote:

It take 1 cal to raise 1 ml of water by 1 degree.
A watt is about 0.239 cal/second.

Does the USA still teach calories rather than Joules ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 04:42:02 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

bz wrote:

It take 1 cal to raise 1 ml of water by 1 degree.
A watt is about 0.239 cal/second.

Does the USA still teach calories rather than Joules ?

kiloCalories. Based on (utilizes) BTUs.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Eeyore wrote in
:

bz wrote:

It take 1 cal to raise 1 ml of water by 1 degree.
A watt is about 0.239 cal/second.

Does the USA still teach calories rather than Joules ?

Both can be found in most text books.

Dieters still count calories.

It is a lot easier for ME to remember that it takes one cal to raise one mL
of water one deg C than it would be to remember to use 4.187 Joules for the
same task.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

If it were spaghetti, so it could be poured out of the spout?

Here, a kettle can be anything from a tea kettle to a giant two foot
deep pot for LA Gumbo.

Kettle? We just cut a 55-gallon drum in half.

John

So, how many PCBs do you think you have introduced into your body over
the years with all the various and sundry exposure events we Americans
have the opportunity to endure?

Amount needed to cause a malignancy mutation: 2 parts per Billion.

If you're willing to eat the crawfish, there's not a lot of point in
worrying about stuff leached off the drum. US cancer rates have been
gradually declining for decades, so we must be doing something right.

Are PCBs really carcinogenic? There are lots of references that say
not.

John

noting that PCB = polychlorinated biphenyl, not pc board
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 07:23:07 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Spurious Response wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
bz wrote:

It take 1 cal to raise 1 ml of water by 1 degree.
A watt is about 0.239 cal/second.

Does the USA still teach calories rather than Joules ?

kiloCalories. Based on (utilizes) BTUs.

Bizarre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_thermal_unit
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 07:54:17 +0000 (UTC), bz
wrote:

Eeyore wrote in
:

bz wrote:

It take 1 cal to raise 1 ml of water by 1 degree.
A watt is about 0.239 cal/second.

Does the USA still teach calories rather than Joules ?

Both can be found in most text books.

Dieters still count calories.

It is a lot easier for ME to remember that it takes one cal to raise one mL
of water one deg C than it would be to remember to use 4.187 Joules for the
same task.

Joules is now in use.

The calorie as is used in talk regarding dietary intake actually refers
to the kilocalorie.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Spurious Response wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Spurious Response wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
bz wrote:

It take 1 cal to raise 1 ml of water by 1 degree.
A watt is about 0.239 cal/second.

Does the USA still teach calories rather than Joules ?

kiloCalories. Based on (utilizes) BTUs.

Bizarre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_thermal_unit

Not used in Britain., although for some curious reason central heating boilers
and radiators continued to be specified in them until quite recently. Thankfully
they're in kW now.

Graham

odd mains plug mike UK diy 5 November 25th 06 01:08 PM
odd mains plug Sparks UK diy 2 November 23rd 06 01:29 PM
odd mains plug Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 November 23rd 06 12:22 PM
odd mains plug Sparks UK diy 1 November 23rd 06 04:49 AM
odd mains plug Martin Crossley UK diy 0 November 22nd 06 11:34 PM