Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

On Jun 27, 4:56 pm, "TT_Man" wrote:

as an aside someone told me that per million houses there are more house
fires in the USA due to wiring faults than any other country, partly due
a lot of timber construction and partly due to the higher current for a
given KW of power transfered - is that the case?

Have you seen the way they connect their wires? They just twist them
together and put a plastic cap over the bare wires!
Multiply that by double current and it's no wonder they have fires -

Well, much of the "fires" due to faulty wiring are because we have
*had* wiring as a general condition in most houses since the early
1900s, so after 100 years or so it gets a little tired, and when
overloaded can fail. Of course, 100 years ago, y'all had very nice
green lawns and gorgeous buildings.... but little electricity other
than the very wealthy. Other fires are due to just plain idiocy on the
part of users, such that would occur here, there or anywhere else.
Very damned few fires are caused by properly utilized wiring even if
100 years old.

As to wire-nuts, what would you propose? Per the code, they must be
enclosed, the expectation is that the wires are first twisted
together, then the nut is attached, and the internal threaded section
is spring-loaded. Are you seriously telling me that wire-nuts are not
permitted in your country?

De gustibus non est disputandum. Electricity has been working for us
over here a good deal longer than it has been working for you over
there. The typical poor-man's rowhouse (900 sf, 100 sm) in
Philadelphia has been wired since 1913. Parts of NYC have been wired
since the late 1800s...

On the other hand, there is something to be said for observing the
experiences of others for 50 years or so before taking the plunge...
Cell phones are a similar item. The US started Analog, only slowly
went digital because of legacy issues, Europe dropped the first nearly
10 years of teething, the Middle East and third-world went right to
Tri-band....

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA