Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default odd mains plug

Huge wrote in
:

They are quite common in computer rooms where sockets are installed
under floors (Yes - I know it's a silly idea to put sockets under
floors - but there are lots).

Dunno about "quite common", though. I've been working in computer
rooms for 32 years now and I've never seen one before.

Well, I've done lots, in broadcastingplant and associated equipment -
routers, etc.

Placed under the floor, with a lid, under the equipment they serve, they're
an elegant answer.

Ours all used standard 13A plugtops, or in the years of madness, Walsall
Guage

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mike wrote:
They are quite common in computer rooms where sockets are installed
under floors (Yes - I know it's a silly idea to put sockets under
floors - but there are lots).

Dunno about "quite common", though. I've been working in computer
rooms for 32 years now and I've never seen one before.

Well, I've done lots, in broadcastingplant and associated equipment -
routers, etc.

Where do you buy the plugs or distribution boards? All the ones I've seen
have used Commando plugs.

Placed under the floor, with a lid, under the equipment they serve,
they're an elegant answer.

Ours all used standard 13A plugtops, or in the years of madness,
Walsall Guage

Why madness? Apart from cost they are pretty reliable.

--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

Well, I've done lots, in broadcastingplant and associated equipment -
routers, etc.

Where do you buy the plugs or distribution boards? All the ones I've seen
have used Commando plugs.

That's a big ask, considering how long I've been retired, but like this

https://secure.wadsworth.co.uk/WaItemGroup62.aspx

or this

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/UVCSM3slash4.html

(same thing?)

Ours all used standard 13A plugtops, or in the years of madness,
Walsall Guage

Why madness? Apart from cost they are pretty reliable.

The connectors were ok, it was the folks who changed plugtops or made
interconnects so vacuum cleaners, angle grinders, etc, would work on the
super quiet tech mains. And all the legit gear that had standard connectors
so had to be worked round in a Walsall area

mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

mike wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

Where do you buy the plugs or distribution boards? All the ones I've seen
have used Commando plugs.

That's a big ask, considering how long I've been retired, but like this

https://secure.wadsworth.co.uk/WaItemGroup62.aspx

or this

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/UVCSM3slash4.html

(same thing?)

Why *switched* sockets though? There's no real need for switches, as
people just switch off at the appliance when necessary, and there is a
risk of unwanted switching off when somebody opens the floor box for
whatever reason.

Ours all used standard 13A plugtops, or in the years of madness,
Walsall Guage

Why madness? Apart from cost they are pretty reliable.

I would prefer BS 546 round-pin plugs, available from more
manufacturers and the round pins/tubes are a more reliable connection,
especially at high currents. Square-pin socket contacts are prone to
losing 'springiness' and overheating, the design was originally to save
materials after World War 2, as was ring-circuit wiring.

The connectors were ok, it was the folks who changed plugtops or made
interconnects so vacuum cleaners, angle grinders, etc, would work on the
super quiet tech mains. And all the legit gear that had standard connectors
so had to be worked round in a Walsall area

mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mike wrote:
Well, I've done lots, in broadcastingplant and associated equipment -
routers, etc.

Where do you buy the plugs or distribution boards? All the ones I've
seen have used Commando plugs.

That's a big ask, considering how long I've been retired, but like this

https://secure.wadsworth.co.uk/WaItemGroup62.aspx

or this

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/UVCSM3slash4.html

(same thing?)

Ah - sorry I was sort of wondering about the non fused 13 amps plugs.
Confusion reigns...

Ours all used standard 13A plugtops, or in the years of madness,
Walsall Guage

Why madness? Apart from cost they are pretty reliable.

The connectors were ok, it was the folks who changed plugtops or made
interconnects so vacuum cleaners, angle grinders, etc, would work on the
super quiet tech mains. And all the legit gear that had standard
connectors so had to be worked round in a Walsall area

You're confusing me again. Surely there was a 'cooking' supply in the area
too?

--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

Ours all used standard 13A plugtops, or in the years of madness,
Walsall Guage

Why madness? Apart from cost they are pretty reliable.

The connectors were ok, it was the folks who changed plugtops or made
interconnects so vacuum cleaners, angle grinders, etc, would work on
the super quiet tech mains. And all the legit gear that had standard
connectors so had to be worked round in a Walsall area

You're confusing me again. Surely there was a 'cooking' supply in the
area too?

Well, me, I was only a planner and installer; the specifiers said that
theis was the problem and stopped specifying them.

But my earlier operational experience confirms Murphy's law in spades!

mike

odd mains plug Sparks UK diy 2 November 23rd 06 12:29 PM
odd mains plug Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 November 23rd 06 11:22 AM
odd mains plug Sparks UK diy 1 November 23rd 06 03:49 AM
odd mains plug Martin Crossley UK diy 0 November 22nd 06 10:34 PM
Odd Plug on Radial arm saw [email protected] Woodworking 1 October 11th 06 01:38 AM