Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

In article ,
Spurious Response wrote:
Eh? Most plastics are poor conductors of heat.

Read what I said again. Sure, most plastics are poor conductors of
heat, however, most, if not all plastics with high temperature capacity
are much better conductors of heat than their intolerant relatives.

Still a better insulator than the sort of metals kettles would otherwise
be made of, though, which was the point.

In other words, if it is a high temp tolerant plastic, it conducts heat
far better than any plastic you might be thinking of. Kinda goes with the
territory.

Now silicone, SOFT plastic types do insulate thermally. That is
different, and there are not a large number of them in that category. We
are talking about solid, construction capable type materials here.
The plastic that would be used on a vat of boiling water as a major
element of its containment would likely be a fair conductor of heat.

The reason low tolerance plastic types have such a low tolerance is
because of their lack of thermal conduction. Apply heat to the surface,
and it stays there. This is a bad thing when said heat can make said
surface reach a melting temperature fairly fast.

Think you're missing the point that the water restricts the maximum
temperature.

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Spurious Response wrote:
If you're there to reduce the heat, why not simply use the boiling
water?

A lot of dishes require a maintained boil point... Like pasta, for
example.

You do pasta in a kettle? Have you some secret way of getting it to align
so it can be poured?

So things like lids allow continued boiling even after heat reduction.
No lid... no boil... Unless you bring the heat back up. Which is what
the lid id good for.

You've found a source of open kettles then? Is this a US thing? I don't
think they would conform to UK H&S regs. Do you dip the cup into them to
get the boiling water out?

--
*You! Off my planet!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Spurious Response wrote:
Good grief. Most just want that cup of tea *now*.

I am willing to extend my "now" period in order to conserve a few
dollars at the end of the month when the gas bill arrives.

So use a proper electric kettle. That will save your gas bill.

--
*There's no place like www.home.com *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Spurious Response wrote:
no, they radiate less total energy because they take 1/3 the time and
radiated power is no different to a 1kW unit, since that depends
entirely on water temp and kettle shape & finish.

Sorry, but the difference in time heating 4 quarts of water in a 1kW
vat is NOT 3 times that of the 3kW unit.

There are constraints. The water has to still be there when you are
done.

If it takes a 1kW unit to heat it to boil in ten minutes, there is no
way in hell a 3kW unit will do it in three.

It is NOT linear, chucko.

Go on then Einstein, show the maths to prove this.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 09:57:52 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Spurious Response wrote:
Good grief. Most just want that cup of tea *now*.

I am willing to extend my "now" period in order to conserve a few
dollars at the end of the month when the gas bill arrives.

So use a proper electric kettle. That will save your gas bill.

Bull****. It would cost me twice as much to boil my water with your
kettle as it would with my gas and stove-top 2 quart saucepan.

Also, if your kettles have exposed coils in them, folks won't likely be
putting their pasta into them.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 09:59:47 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Spurious Response wrote:
no, they radiate less total energy because they take 1/3 the time and
radiated power is no different to a 1kW unit, since that depends
entirely on water temp and kettle shape & finish.

Sorry, but the difference in time heating 4 quarts of water in a 1kW
vat is NOT 3 times that of the 3kW unit.

There are constraints. The water has to still be there when you are
done.

If it takes a 1kW unit to heat it to boil in ten minutes, there is no
way in hell a 3kW unit will do it in three.

It is NOT linear, chucko.

Go on then Einstein, show the maths to prove this.

Basic inline water heaters prove it. If it were so much faster, we
would have 3kW inline water heaters. As it stands, that it not the case.

Sure, as you increase power, you get more work done. But you also lose
more of that heat as well.

What it really comes down to is the diameter (and length) of the coil.

Since both 1kW as well as 3kW coils BOTH reach temperatures far above
the boiling temp of water, it would seem to me that you would foresee
some point at which there are diminishing returns from the amount of
energy one dumps into those coils over the return of heat imparted into
the water.

I'd bet that a larger diameter coil will heat the water faster than a
smaller diameter coil, for any given equal wattage, and the reason is
that the coil surface area is so much larger, yet it's surface temp is
very much the same.

So to me, the ideal heater for water would be one that does the job
with the least amount of energy in a reasonable time.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Spurious Response wrote:
So use a proper electric kettle. That will save your gas bill.

Bull****. It would cost me twice as much to boil my water with your
kettle as it would with my gas and stove-top 2 quart saucepan.

I'd love to see your proof. A 'two quart' saucepan will have *vast* heat
losses. A decent electric kettle can cope with just one cupful of water if
that's all that's needed.

Also, if your kettles have exposed coils in them, folks won't likely be
putting their pasta into them.

Did you put soap in the kettle as a kid too?

--
*I don't have a solution, but I admire your problem. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Spurious Response wrote:
So to me, the ideal heater for water would be one that does the job
with the least amount of energy in a reasonable time.

Having had experience of a 1kW electric kettle I can tell you it doesn't
take a 'reasonable' time.

--
*Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Spurious Response writes:

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 08:40:44 GMT, Thomas Tornblom wrote:

Actually I believe that induction cooking is better, more easily
controlled and safer than gas.

Snippet from http://theinductionsite.com/how-induction-works.shtml

It look VERY inefficient.

On the contrary. It is very efficient as it is *only* the cookware
that heats up.

Did you miss the 84% vs 40% for gas efficiency paragraph?

It also REQUIRES iron cookware.

Most cookware sold today in Sweden is induction compatible, and have
been for quite a while. Even though we don't have have an induction
stove today I believe most of our cookware is compatible.

What type of cookware would you miss out on?

Two killers right there.

Tally:

Total Suckage.

In fact... it sucks so bad that it sucks at sucking.

I would say you have no clue.

They started out in restaurant kitchens many years ago and they have
several advantages:

1) super quick cooking as no heat needs to be transfered to the
cookware, it is the cookware itself that gets heated, quite similar to
a microwave where the food itself generates the heat

2) much less losses, which reduces the cooling needed i the kitchen

3) easy and quick regulation

4) safe, the stove top doesn't hot, other than by transfer from the
cookware.

I recommend following the link to this page:

http://theinductionsite.com/proandcon.shtml

to see the pros and cons.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Spurious Response wrote:
If you're there to reduce the heat, why not simply use the boiling
water?

A lot of dishes require a maintained boil point... Like pasta, for
example.

You do pasta in a kettle? Have you some secret way of getting it to align
so it can be poured?

This must be a cultural thing, but I have no idea what in hell you are
talking about.

So things like lids allow continued boiling even after heat reduction.
No lid... no boil... Unless you bring the heat back up. Which is what
the lid id good for.

You've found a source of open kettles then? Is this a US thing? I don't
think they would conform to UK H&S regs. Do you dip the cup into them to
get the boiling water out?

You use a spaghetti strainer. And yes, some things need an open kettle.

Tam
--
*You! Off my planet!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Response wrote:
If you're there to reduce the heat, why not simply use the boiling
water?

A lot of dishes require a maintained boil point... Like pasta, for
example.

You do pasta in a kettle? Have you some secret way of getting it to
align so it can be poured?

This must be a cultural thing, but I have no idea what in hell you are
talking about.

Join the club. My stupid reply was in response to the stupid comment from
Spurious response.

So things like lids allow continued boiling even after heat
reduction. No lid... no boil... Unless you bring the heat back up.
Which is what the lid id good for.

You've found a source of open kettles then? Is this a US thing? I
don't think they would conform to UK H&S regs. Do you dip the cup into
them to get the boiling water out?

You use a spaghetti strainer. And yes, some things need an open kettle.

Thinks. In the UK a kettle is only used for boiling water. Usually for
making tea or instant coffee. Do you guys call some form of general
cooking utensil a kettle too?

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 22:38:57 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Response wrote:
[...]

I think this may be the problem. From

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kettle

"In the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Canada, a kettle is a device used
to quickly heat water for hot drinks, such as tea or instant coffee.
It is normally constructed out of durable plastic or steel (with a
plastic handle) and powered by mains electricity."

and

"In the United States, a kettle usually refers to the stovetop
metallic version with a steam whistle.

Elsewhere in the world (and sometimes in the United Kingdom) the word
kettle can refer to a metal pot for boiling or stewing, and a kettle
is probably the most ancient kind of metal cooking utensil.

The word kettle originates from Latin catillus, which in various
contexts is translated as bowl, deep dish, or funnel."

Perhaps SR is cooking pasta in something like a Kettle Drum :-)

--
Regards
Malcolm
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On 2007-07-08, Spurious Response wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 09:59:47 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Spurious Response wrote:
no, they radiate less total energy because they take 1/3 the time and
radiated power is no different to a 1kW unit, since that depends
entirely on water temp and kettle shape & finish.

Sorry, but the difference in time heating 4 quarts of water in a 1kW
vat is NOT 3 times that of the 3kW unit.

There are constraints. The water has to still be there when you are
done.

If it takes a 1kW unit to heat it to boil in ten minutes, there is no
way in hell a 3kW unit will do it in three.

It is NOT linear, chucko.

Go on then Einstein, show the maths to prove this.

Basic inline water heaters prove it. If it were so much faster, we
would have 3kW inline water heaters. As it stands, that it not the case.

Only 3KW? why would someone want a toy like that?

Sure, as you increase power, you get more work done. But you also lose
more of that heat as well.

What it really comes down to is the diameter (and length) of the coil.

Since both 1kW as well as 3kW coils BOTH reach temperatures far above
the boiling temp of water, it would seem to me that you would foresee
some point at which there are diminishing returns from the amount of
energy one dumps into those coils over the return of heat imparted into
the water.

do the math... heat is the one form of energy tat can always be
produced electrically with 100% efficiency.

I'd bet that a larger diameter coil will heat the water faster than a
smaller diameter coil, for any given equal wattage, and the reason is
that the coil surface area is so much larger, yet it's surface temp is
very much the same.

convection, and bubbling, will stir the water, a cappucino machine
will heat a mug of milk in only a few seconds - the steam jet is
good for over ten kilowatts.

So to me, the ideal heater for water would be one that does the job
with the least amount of energy in a reasonable time.

faster is generally more efficient.

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On 2007-07-08, Spurious Response wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 08:52:03 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

heat, however, most, if not all plastics with high temperature capacity
are much better conductors of heat than their intolerant relatives.

In other words, if it is a high temp tolerant plastic, it conducts heat
far better than any plastic you might be thinking of. Kinda goes with the
territory.

Now silicone, SOFT plastic types do insulate thermally. That is
different, and there are not a large number of them in that category. We
are talking about solid, construction capable type materials here.
The plastic that would be used on a vat of boiling water as a major
element of its containment would likely be a fair conductor of heat.

polypropylene is commonly used, look it up.

The reason low tolerance plastic types have such a low tolerance is
because of their lack of thermal conduction. Apply heat to the surface,
and it stays there. This is a bad thing when said heat can make said
surface reach a melting temperature fairly fast.

bull****.

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On 2007-07-08, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Read what I said again. Sure, most plastics are poor conductors of
heat, however, most, if not all plastics with high temperature capacity
are much better conductors of heat than their intolerant relatives.

Still a better insulator than the sort of metals kettles would otherwise
be made of, though, which was the point.

actually polypropylene is a slightly worse heat conductor than most other
thermoplastics this guy is just spurious.

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

So you need pots and pans with heatsink fins on the bottom. ;-)

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/jetbo...ooking-system/

I found that while looking for this
http://www.msrcorp.com/cookware/heat_exchanger.asp
It goes around a pot to get better heat transfer.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 12:35:50 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

I'd love to see your proof. A 'two quart' saucepan will have *vast* heat
losses. A decent electric kettle can cope with just one cupful of water if
that's all that's needed.

Except that you cannot place your veggies in there, or any other
cooking need.

Some people do more than drink tea. We use continuously boiling water
for many cooking needs, and those are the only needs I have, and my cup
of tea works just fine with water that only takes a few minutes to boil
over a trickle flame.

I know how to apply heat to a surface and waste very little.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Response wrote:
[...]

Having bought multiple cooking utensils in the past few years, I don't
recall seeing one in a box that said "kettle". From what I can gather, that
is pretty much an archaic term, and only used in a context such as tea
kettle; however, the latter is just as often called a tea pot. If I look
around in a store, they will have things called sauce pans (nothing to do
with a pan), stock pots, and Dutch ovens (nothing to do with an oven). I may
be wrong, but to me a kettle is a pot with a wire handle like a bucket. No
reason you could not cook spaghetti in it, if you found one.

I am still trying to figure out what the previous poster meant by aligning
the pasta.

Tam

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Tam/WB2TT wrote:
Thinks. In the UK a kettle is only used for boiling water. Usually for
making tea or instant coffee. Do you guys call some form of general
cooking utensil a kettle too?

Having bought multiple cooking utensils in the past few years, I don't
recall seeing one in a box that said "kettle". From what I can gather,
that is pretty much an archaic term, and only used in a context such as
tea kettle; however, the latter is just as often called a tea pot. If I
look around in a store, they will have things called sauce pans
(nothing to do with a pan), stock pots, and Dutch ovens (nothing to do
with an oven). I may be wrong, but to me a kettle is a pot with a wire
handle like a bucket. No reason you could not cook spaghetti in it, if
you found one.

I think the UK definition means a container with a spout and handle. But
most would consider it the safest way to boil water and fill a cup etc
from it - saucepans are less than ideal for this.

I am still trying to figure out what the previous poster meant by
aligning the pasta.

If it were spaghetti, so it could be poured out of the spout?

--
*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Tam/WB2TT wrote:
I am still trying to figure out what the previous poster meant by aligning
the pasta.

If pasta is not aligned properly in relation to the Earth's magnetic
field then it will not cook properly. That's why sometimes it comes
out perfect and other times it comes out mush.

:-)

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Spurious Response wrote:
If you're there to reduce the heat, why not simply use the boiling
water?

A lot of dishes require a maintained boil point... Like pasta, for
example.

You do pasta in a kettle? Have you some secret way of getting it to align
so it can be poured?

So things like lids allow continued boiling even after heat reduction.
No lid... no boil... Unless you bring the heat back up. Which is what
the lid id good for.

You've found a source of open kettles then? Is this a US thing? I don't
think they would conform to UK H&S regs. Do you dip the cup into them to
get the boiling water out?

Why all the arguing? Just heat tha damn water in the microwave.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Tam/WB2TT wrote:
I am still trying to figure out what the previous poster meant by aligning
the pasta.

If pasta is not aligned properly in relation to the Earth's magnetic
field then it will not cook properly. That's why sometimes it comes
out perfect and other times it comes out mush.

True audiophile pasta (that`s OFP) is time aligned and by the science of
chakra, the molecules are arranged to that it not only cooks to
perfection everytime but never ever sticks to the pan.

It is of course somewhat more expensive than the common or garden lo fi
pasta.

Ron(UK)
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 15:32:47 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Spurious Response wrote:
If you're there to reduce the heat, why not simply use the boiling
water?

A lot of dishes require a maintained boil point... Like pasta, for
example.

You do pasta in a kettle? Have you some secret way of getting it to align
so it can be poured?

So things like lids allow continued boiling even after heat reduction.
No lid... no boil... Unless you bring the heat back up. Which is what
the lid id good for.

You've found a source of open kettles then? Is this a US thing? I don't
think they would conform to UK H&S regs. Do you dip the cup into them to
get the boiling water out?

Why all the arguing? Just heat tha damn water in the microwave.

The brits drink huge amounts of tea because their coffee is so bad.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

John Larkin wrote:
The brits drink huge amounts of tea because their coffee is so bad.

Not since the 1960's. Of course I think there was good coffee long before
then, when was Andalucci's (on Shaftsbury Avenue) founded?

Of course since London has as many Starbuck's as any other large city,
you may be right. :-)

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
The brits drink huge amounts of tea because their coffee is so bad.

Not since the 1960's. Of course I think there was good coffee long before
then, when was Andalucci's (on Shaftsbury Avenue) founded?

Of course since London has as many Starbuck's as any other large city,
you may be right. :-)

Geoff.

Interestingly, Coffee was commonly drunk in England long before tea
became fashionable.

Ron(UK)
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 09:57:06 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Spurious Response wrote:
If you're there to reduce the heat, why not simply use the boiling
water?

A lot of dishes require a maintained boil point... Like pasta, for
example.

You do pasta in a kettle? Have you some secret way of getting it to align
so it can be poured?

So things like lids allow continued boiling even after heat reduction.
No lid... no boil... Unless you bring the heat back up. Which is what
the lid id good for.

You've found a source of open kettles then? Is this a US thing? I don't
think they would conform to UK H&S regs. Do you dip the cup into them to
get the boiling water out?

In the US, a dedicated electric kettle is rare - you're much more likely
to see an electric skillet(frying pan). To boil water, we use a kettle on
the stove-top:
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=289833

But for pasta and soup and stuff, we use an ordinary cookpot on the
stove.

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 15:14:05 +0000, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Tam/WB2TT wrote:
I am still trying to figure out what the previous poster meant by aligning
the pasta.

If pasta is not aligned properly in relation to the Earth's magnetic
field then it will not cook properly. That's why sometimes it comes
out perfect and other times it comes out mush.

You don't know how to properly check spaghetti. Every few minutes, pick
a strand out of the pot and throw it at the wall. When one sticks, the
spaghetti is done. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:
You've found a source of open kettles then? Is this a US thing? I
don't think they would conform to UK H&S regs. Do you dip the cup into
them to get the boiling water out?

In the US, a dedicated electric kettle is rare - you're much more likely
to see an electric skillet(frying pan). To boil water, we use a kettle on
the stove-top:
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=289833

Looks just like many an electric UK kettle then - although jug types are
also popular.

But for pasta and soup and stuff, we use an ordinary cookpot on the
stove.

As I'd guessed. Dunno what Mr S Response was on about.

--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Tam/WB2TT wrote:

Having bought multiple cooking utensils in the past few years, I don't
recall seeing one in a box that said "kettle". From what I can gather, that
is pretty much an archaic term, and only used in a context such as tea
kettle; however, the latter is just as often called a tea pot. If I look
around in a store, they will have things called sauce pans (nothing to do
with a pan), stock pots, and Dutch ovens (nothing to do with an oven).

A "Dutch Oven" is a cast iron pot with a heavy cover made you use in
an open campfire. You can use it as an oven to bake bread over a bed of
hot coals. It can also pe used to cook soup, stew or Chili while away
from a conventional kitchen.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Why all the arguing? Just heat tha damn water in the microwave.

The brits drink huge amounts of tea because their coffee is so bad.

John

There are a few of them who should get a mouthful of water, insert
the tea bag, then microwave their heads. Instant tea, and one less
troll.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Why all the arguing? Just heat tha damn water in the microwave.

The brits drink huge amounts of tea because their coffee is so bad.

John

There are a few of them who should get a mouthful of water, insert
the tea bag, then microwave their heads. Instant tea, and one less
troll.

There is the charming British expression "Oh go boil your head,
Bertie."

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Usually for
making tea or instant coffee

3kW to make tea or coffee?

Bwuahahahahahahaha!

Talk about waste. Ol' Gore would be over for a party to join you, if
you let him have a news broadcast of how much electric gets wasted in UK
kitchens, he'll fly over (wasting fuel) and have tea with you (wasting
power).
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On 9 Jul 2007 09:20:16 GMT, Jasen Betts wrote:

The reason low tolerance plastic types have such a low tolerance is
because of their lack of thermal conduction. Apply heat to the surface,
and it stays there. This is a bad thing when said heat can make said
surface reach a melting temperature fairly fast.

bull****.

You have never seen plastic come to a melting point on its surface, and
stay that way for minutes until someone or something touches it and sinks
the heat away?

Yeah, you did just **** a pile, bully boy.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 04:41:33 -0500,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

So you need pots and pans with heatsink fins on the bottom. ;-)

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/jetbo...ooking-system/

I found that while looking for this
http://www.msrcorp.com/cookware/heat_exchanger.asp
It goes around a pot to get better heat transfer.

Looks cool, as well as fully functional.

Double overpriced, however.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 16:10:56 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

If it were spaghetti, so it could be poured out of the spout?

Here, a kettle can be anything from a tea kettle to a giant two foot
deep pot for LA Gumbo.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Tam/WB2TT wrote:
[...]

If all else fails, read the instruction book. I didn't see anything in the
cookbook about pots/pans, but according to Webster's Dictionary a kettle is
a bowl shaped metal utensil. I take that to mean it has a rounded bottom,
like what one would use for making witches brew. Probably not useful on an
electric stove.

Tam

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 15:32:47 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Spurious Response wrote:
If you're there to reduce the heat, why not simply use the boiling
water?

A lot of dishes require a maintained boil point... Like pasta, for
example.

You do pasta in a kettle? Have you some secret way of getting it to align
so it can be poured?

So things like lids allow continued boiling even after heat reduction.
No lid... no boil... Unless you bring the heat back up. Which is what
the lid id good for.

You've found a source of open kettles then? Is this a US thing? I don't
think they would conform to UK H&S regs. Do you dip the cup into them to
get the boiling water out?

Why all the arguing? Just heat tha damn water in the microwave.

Describe the mechanism by which it heats.

Hint:

The word for today is hysteresis.

odd mains plug mike UK diy 5 November 25th 06 12:08 PM
odd mains plug Sparks UK diy 2 November 23rd 06 12:29 PM
odd mains plug Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 November 23rd 06 11:22 AM
odd mains plug Sparks UK diy 1 November 23rd 06 03:49 AM
odd mains plug Martin Crossley UK diy 0 November 22nd 06 10:34 PM