Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Repair of portable DVD player Goodmans G-DVD 67LCD ser.No. G-1723910698

I have been asked to try to repair this 7" screen player. The fault
is that discs are not read. The screen displays and menus are OK. I
have no remote or service info but disassembled the unit and used a
genuine correct region 2 DVD (it's a region 2 unit) to find that the
disc runs up, the speed hunts up and down whilst the laser initially
goes to the outer edge of the disc, then to a position about 30% out
from the centre and the laser lights. It then hunts +/- 3 mm from
this position, occasionally hitting the inner mechanical stop with a
clunking noise. There are no loose screws or obstructions or broken
sled bits, the 'runners' are smooth and lubricated although I do not
wish to disassemble the optical unit in case I affect alignment. The
lens is clean. After 90 secs the screen reads 'wrong disc'.
I am a general purpose, not AV, technician and posses general test
equipment. I understand laser safety and only look at an angle at the
laser spot hitting the underside of the disc.
Given I live in Saudi Arabia and sending the unit for repair is
uneconomic, can anyone advise of any further simple procedures I could
try? I realise the procedure 'find a dustbin' is probably logical,
but I'd like to try and fix it.

Portable DVD Player Mary Home Repair 13 January 18th 07 09:22 PM
Portable DVD Player - plays DVD but displays ghost image Toronto Electronics Repair 0 October 3rd 05 04:47 PM
JVC DVD Player Model# XV-S502SL SER# 087K3222 Donald Electronics Repair 0 August 14th 05 10:00 PM
Repair CyberHome Portable DVD player David Montgomery Electronics Repair 5 February 8th 05 08:41 PM
Cyberhome CH-DVD 500 DVD Player Repair nospam Electronics Repair 3 February 24th 04 01:16 AM