Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Repair of portable DVD player Goodmans G-DVD 67LCD ser.No. G-1723910698

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

If you know the name "Goodmans" from years ago, as a manufacturer of
quality loudspeakers, don't make the mistake of thinking that this comes
from the same stable, and is worth doing. I see a great deal of Goodmans
gear in my day to day repair life, and almost without exception, it is
very cheap Chinese or Korean stuff, badged with that name. For the most
part, spares or service info and assistance for these items, is at best
very hard to come by, and at worst, non-existent.

It's the same in the US with Singer, RCA, GE and many other brands. Even
some 'live' brand names are rented out to crap outfits.

It's a bit of a shame really, as all of these brands built up huge amounts
of respect over the years, and they are firmly ingrained in people's
memories from when they were kids. Our family had a Bush TV set, and I had a
Bush tranny radio (which I've still got - no PCB's - it was built on a real
metal chassis !! ). Both were top of the range products. My parent's first
colour TV was also Bush, and again, was a superior product. Now, sadly, it's
just a name shoved on pretty much worthless supermarket fare, but I still
get customers ringing me up and asking if I will look at an item, and then
proudly telling me " It's a good one - it's a Bush !! " Just goes to show
what power there is in a name, and how clever the current owners of them
are, to have bought them up in the first place. There is basically no
indiginous mainstream consumer electronics manufacturing in the UK at all
now. Sad after all the quality brands that we did have.

Arfa