Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default thermal Fuse for breadmaker

My breadmaker has a dispenser function activated by a plunger tyoe
action, which uses a small electric motor. The motor seems to have a
small thermal fuse that has opened, probably when I was testing it.
The numbers written on it are 115C, 250V, 1A. Its about the size of a
small resistor used for PCB's.

I ordered a thermal fuse from Goodman's.net, but I'm wondering if
anyone has ever replaced one of these, and if there is any chance this
component may be other than a thermal fuse.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Guy

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"badgerboy" wrote in message
oups.com...

The numbers written on it are 115C, 250V, 1A. Its about the size of a
small resistor used for PCB's.

US or UK? Radio Shack used to sell them.

--
..
..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"badgerboy" wrote in message
oups.com...

The numbers written on it are 115C, 250V, 1A. Its about the size of a
small resistor used for PCB's.

US or UK? Radio Shack used to sell them.

Sounds like a 115 degree C thermal fuse, with a max carrying capacity of 1
amp. There's not usually any issues with replacing them, but you should make
sure that the motor is running correctly and unrestricted. The current and
operating temperature of a partially impeded motor, can go up substantially
from the norm. If you don't want to risk wasting your new thermal fuse,
temporarily wire in a 'standard' T1A fuse, and just check that all is well
first.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I'm in the US. I'll look at the Shack.

This motor only operates for a few seconds, as it is only required to
dump a tray into the breadpan. So it is not likely to overheat in
actual operation. I will test the motor again to make sure its
working. By the way, its only the size of a film cannister, probably
1/2 that. Thanks for the replies. Guy

On Feb 20, 1:56 am, "Homer J Simpson" wrote:
"badgerboy" wrote in message

oups.com...

The numbers written on it are 115C, 250V, 1A. Its about the size of a
small resistor used for PCB's.

US or UK? Radio Shack used to sell them.

--
.
.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article .com,
"badgerboy" wrote:

The numbers written on it are 115C, 250V, 1A. Its about the size of a
small resistor used for PCB's.

I ordered a thermal fuse from Goodman's.net, but I'm wondering if
anyone has ever replaced one of these, and if there is any chance this
component may be other than a thermal fuse.

Guy-

I replaced one in a water distiller, and a couple in Hewlett Packard
crystal ovens.

I think there were two temperatures available from Radio Shack, and
three or more from NTE (NTE calls it a Thermal Cutoff). These were
about the size of a 1 Watt resistor, or a little smaller. One ordered
from HP was about the size of a 1/4 Watt resistor or a little larger.

As you might guess, it is not recommended to solder such a device into
the circuit. When I found that necessary, I heat-sinked each lead with
a pair of pliers close to the body. Normally you would crimp such a
temperature-sensitive device, and one of the replacements was provided
with crimp-sleeves.

Fred

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

badgerboy wrote:
My breadmaker has a dispenser function activated by a plunger tyoe
action, which uses a small electric motor. The motor seems to have a
small thermal fuse that has opened, probably when I was testing it.
The numbers written on it are 115C, 250V, 1A. Its about the size of a
small resistor used for PCB's.

I ordered a thermal fuse from Goodman's.net, but I'm wondering if
anyone has ever replaced one of these, and if there is any chance this
component may be other than a thermal fuse.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Guy

Is there any fuses that are not thermal?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Snap Whipcrack.............." wrote in news:l4_Ch.5663
$lo1.560@trndny05:

Is there any fuses that are not thermal?

A 'normal' fuse blows when the current through it exceeds its rating. (It
protects the equipment from "too much current.")

A thermal fuse blows when its temperature exceeds its rating. (It protects
the equipment from "getting too hot.")

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Fred,

I didn't see your reply till just now, and thanks for the comments.
Yes it does seem a little dicy adding this thing into the circuit,
expecially because its connected directly to the filament-thin winding
wire for the plunger. I got a replacement from Goodman's, and I'll be
trying it soon. The good thing is that this circuit is not really
critical to the operation of the machin, so if I goof up no big deal.
By the way the replacement I got from goodman's is the same
temperature rating, higher current rating and about twice the physical
size of the original.

Guy

On Feb 20, 10:33 pm, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article .com,