Posted to sci.electronics.repair
badgerboy badgerboy is offline

Default thermal Fuse for breadmaker

Fred,

I didn't see your reply till just now, and thanks for the comments.
Yes it does seem a little dicy adding this thing into the circuit,
expecially because its connected directly to the filament-thin winding
wire for the plunger. I got a replacement from Goodman's, and I'll be
trying it soon. The good thing is that this circuit is not really
critical to the operation of the machin, so if I goof up no big deal.
By the way the replacement I got from goodman's is the same
temperature rating, higher current rating and about twice the physical
size of the original.

Guy

On Feb 20, 10:33 pm, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article .com,

"badgerboy" wrote:
The numbers written on it are 115C, 250V, 1A. Its about the size of a
small resistor used for PCB's.

I ordered a thermal fuse from Goodman's.net, but I'm wondering if
anyone has ever replaced one of these, and if there is any chance this
component may be other than a thermal fuse.

Guy-

I replaced one in a water distiller, and a couple in Hewlett Packard
crystal ovens.

I think there were two temperatures available from Radio Shack, and
three or more from NTE (NTE calls it a Thermal Cutoff). These were
about the size of a 1 Watt resistor, or a little smaller. One ordered
from HP was about the size of a 1/4 Watt resistor or a little larger.

As you might guess, it is not recommended to solder such a device into
the circuit. When I found that necessary, I heat-sinked each lead with
a pair of pliers close to the body. Normally you would crimp such a
temperature-sensitive device, and one of the replacements was provided
with crimp-sleeves.

Fred