Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Cleaning LCD screen

The grandbrats have been wiping their sticky paws on our Philips LCD TV
screen. Wiping it with a slightly dampened microfibre cloth and then
drying with another has left streaks.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can get the screen really
streak-free and clean again?
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 19:48:26 +0000, Peter Twydell
wrote:

The grandbrats have been wiping their sticky paws on our Philips LCD TV
screen. Wiping it with a slightly dampened microfibre cloth and then
drying with another has left streaks.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can get the screen really
streak-free and clean again?

I've never had a problem using windex and paper towels on LCD screens.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Peter Twydell" wrote in message
The grandbrats have been wiping their sticky paws on our Philips LCD TV
screen. Wiping it with a slightly dampened microfibre cloth and then
drying with another has left streaks.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can get the screen really
streak-free and clean again?

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10166_7-6209355-1.html

They recommend NOT using glass cleaners and NOT using paper towels. A 50/50
mix of water and isopropyl alcohol along with a micro-fiber cloth are
recommended. Do not apply the liquid directly to the screen.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message

isopropyl alcohol

That's what I've been using, don't even thin it but it's 70% alcohol out of
the bottle. I keep it in a small spray bottle that throws an extremely fine
spray and put it on sparingly. Been using it for years, no problems. RM~

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 16:52:22 -0600, Rob Mills wrote:

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message

isopropyl alcohol

That's what I've been using, don't even thin it but it's 70% alcohol out of
the bottle. I keep it in a small spray bottle that throws an extremely fine
spray and put it on sparingly. Been using it for years, no problems. RM~

It's the ammonia in glass cleaners that's the problem.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 16:52:22 -0600, Rob Mills wrote:

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message

isopropyl alcohol

That's what I've been using, don't even thin it but it's 70% alcohol out
of
the bottle. I keep it in a small spray bottle that throws an extremely
fine
spray and put it on sparingly. Been using it for years, no problems. RM~

It's the ammonia in glass cleaners that's the problem.

Also, some paper towels can create scratches when wiping some surfaces.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In message , Peter Twydell
writes
The grandbrats have been wiping their sticky paws on our Philips LCD TV
screen. Wiping it with a slightly dampened microfibre cloth and then
drying with another has left streaks.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can get the screen really
streak-free and clean again?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have a look around and try to find
an IPA-based product.

BTW, Windex appears to be a left-pondian product, unavailable here
AFAIK. Is there a UK equivalent?
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 1, 4:08 pm, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:
"Peter Twydell" wrote in message

The grandbrats have been wiping their sticky paws on our Philips LCD TV
screen. Wiping it with a slightly dampened microfibre cloth and then
drying with another has left streaks.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can get the screen really
streak-free and clean again?

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10166_7-6209355-1.html

They recommend NOT using glass cleaners and NOT using paper towels. A 50/50
mix of water and isopropyl alcohol along with a micro-fiber cloth are
recommended. Do not apply the liquid directly to the screen.

I'm assuming that this method would also apply to DLP based rear
projection TVs?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Peter Twydell" wrote in message
In message , Peter Twydell
writes
The grandbrats have been wiping their sticky paws on our Philips LCD TV
screen. Wiping it with a slightly dampened microfibre cloth and then
drying with another has left streaks.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can get the screen really
streak-free and clean again?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have a look around and try to find an
IPA-based product.

BTW, Windex appears to be a left-pondian product, unavailable here AFAIK.
Is there a UK equivalent?
--

Peter,

I use a soft tissue moistened with 'Windowlene' spray on my TFT screens and
it has never damaged one yet. It may take you a couple of goes to get all
the sticky marks off and shift all the smears but it does work well. I wet
the tissue for badly contaminated screens, but never drench it so much the
liquid can run into the display surround.

Never use kitchen towels though- they can and do cause scratching! Use the
softest tissues you can find, or a soft cotton cloth. Don't push firmly as
LCD screens are easy to crack!

Morse

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Morse wrote:

I use a soft tissue moistened with 'Windowlene' spray on my TFT screens and
it has never damaged one yet.

I used Windowlene on my Mitsubishi CRT monitor and the anti reflective
coating started to come off! Ooops!

Ron(UK)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ron(UK)" wrote in message
Morse wrote:

I use a soft tissue moistened with 'Windowlene' spray on my TFT screens

and
it has never damaged one yet.

I used Windowlene on my Mitsubishi CRT monitor and the anti reflective
coating started to come off! Ooops!

Ron(UK)

Had the same problem with my last CRT, even though had been using
Windex(ammonia) for years on other monitors. Once you see a problem it's too
late.

Since starting to use LCD monitors have been using individually wrapped 3M
notebook screen wipes. Seemed expensive when buying them but flat panels
don't attract nearly as much crap as a CRTs with it's high voltage. One does
a TV and 3 monitors . Use 4 wipes a year. Way less than $1 a year.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ron(UK)" wrote in message
Morse wrote:

I use a soft tissue moistened with 'Windowlene' spray on my TFT screens
and it has never damaged one yet.

I used Windowlene on my Mitsubishi CRT monitor and the anti reflective
coating started to come off! Ooops!

Ron(UK)

Ouch! AR coating can detach itself for reasons other than solvent damage
though, I inherited some Sony 300SF monitors from a company which I know
used proper wipes to clean them, and one had signs of coating damage. I
understand the coating can be removed completely on some monitors if it
starts to flake.

Morse

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Morse wrote:
"Ron(UK)" wrote in message
Morse wrote:

I use a soft tissue moistened with 'Windowlene' spray on my TFT screens
and it has never damaged one yet.

I used Windowlene on my Mitsubishi CRT monitor and the anti reflective
coating started to come off! Ooops!

Ron(UK)

Ouch! AR coating can detach itself for reasons other than solvent damage
though, I inherited some Sony 300SF monitors from a company which I know
used proper wipes to clean them, and one had signs of coating damage. I
understand the coating can be removed completely on some monitors if it
starts to flake.

Morse

Well, One day I`ll strip the lot off - when I get a round tuit - It`s a
lot brighter where the coating is missing, luckily just in one lower corner

Ron(UK)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

yeh, paper towels can be loaded with micro fine chunks of any kind of
abrasion material. wire, process machine wear debris, and worse yet, sand
and grit from factory process locations.

many 'green' products fomulated from recycled paper from god knows
wherever, may contain unknowns also

i use nice old soft and well used face cloths that have been through laundry
enough times to make them really fluffy and absorbent when dry.

have used that orange grease cutting cleaner concentrate in a 1oz to a spray
container (abt 32 oz?) of filtered h2O as my cleaning solvent. claims to
have no caustic or other elements. and has worked well for last 6 yrs.
fingerprints with food grease and skin oils are misery., but disssaper with
this.

static is always a problem, but a plain fine soft 12 inche cleaning
handbrush takes most of that dust off in a few swipes.

old real glass used for older units will fare better, but the newer units
with composite acrylic and newer polymer specialty coverings demand special
care. follow the manufactureres recs for the new ones.