Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default WEIRD problem with CD player

An Onkyo player I once worked on had a small, barely visible crack in a
worm gear (part of the sled assly.). The gear was still gripping the
rod it was attached to OK, but on ocasions, and sometimes when used at
other angles, it would bind against its driver cog and lock the sled.
this caused some odd symptoms and intermittent operation.Maybe worth
getting a magnifying glass out anc checking the condition of any
plastic gears etc.
-B.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Great idea - except this sled is driven by linear motors on each side.

I'm going to try to raise the rail and see how long that works

thanks for your inputs.

On 4 Jan 2007 06:13:05 -0800, "b" wrote:

An Onkyo player I once worked on had a small, barely visible crack in a
worm gear (part of the sled assly.). The gear was still gripping the
rod it was attached to OK, but on ocasions, and sometimes when used at
other angles, it would bind against its driver cog and lock the sled.
this caused some odd symptoms and intermittent operation.Maybe worth
getting a magnifying glass out anc checking the condition of any
plastic gears etc.
-B.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Does this unit have any presets for Focus and tracking gain / offset
/error adjustment. What if an electrolytic in the focus circuitry has
drifted a bit in value causing improper gain or bias?. The objective
lense might not traverse through the required excursion for an FOK flag
to be generated. Tilting the lense would put it on an inclined plane,
less drive would be required for it to traverse enough for good focus,
FOK is read, spindle is switched on.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Does this unit have any presets for Focus and tracking gain / offset
/error adjustment. What if an electrolytic in the focus circuitry has
drifted a bit in value causing improper gain or bias?. The objective
lense might not traverse through the required excursion for an FOK flag

to be generated. Tilting the lense would put it on an inclined plane,
less drive would be required for it to traverse enough for good focus,
FOK is read, spindle is switched on.
I've seen this "jump" or "search" capacitor hanging in the periphery of
the servo ic quite often. Can't remember if it's in the focus or
tracking servo.
Jango

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jango2" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does this unit have any presets for Focus and tracking gain / offset
/error adjustment. What if an electrolytic in the focus circuitry has
drifted a bit in value causing improper gain or bias?. The objective
lense might not traverse through the required excursion for an FOK flag

to be generated. Tilting the lense would put it on an inclined plane,
less drive would be required for it to traverse enough for good focus,
FOK is read, spindle is switched on.
I've seen this "jump" or "search" capacitor hanging in the periphery of
the servo ic quite often. Can't remember if it's in the focus or
tracking servo.
Jango

Hi Jango - how's it going ? Long time no speak. This scenario is possible,
but I can't say that I've ever had such a fault. It was suggested early on
that various adjustments were tried, but I advised the OP against it unless
he had the necessary service info and expertise in CD player repair, as I
felt that there was almost certainly a much simpler, probably mechanical
explanation for the symptoms, and that inappropriate twiddling might well
compound the problem. It's actually pretty rare to have to ever adjust any
of these pots from their original settings, in my experience. However, it
might now be the time to try a very small adjustment one way and then the
other of the focus offset pot, after first carefully marking, or measuring
the position that the pot is originally set at, to see if it can be
persuaded to work on the flat.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi Mr. Darby,
Good to see you helping people out with their tech travails. I haven't
forgotten the assistance u gave me with those crazy cd mechanisms.
I've had a couple of cases where focus bias or tracking offset needed
to be tweaked. Can't wait till Bill cracks this one.
Happy 2007 All.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
wrote in message
NO, I have pushed it to be sure it is all the way in.
The tip is from side to side so gravity is not at work here. A

front
to back tip will not cause it to operate.

Also, it will only CONTINUE to play in any position once play is
started. If I tip it to read the TOC then lay it flat it will not
start playing.

I HAVE discovered something else.
The sled rides on 2 rails. one side has a sleeve on it, the other
rests on a roller. It will move up about 1/16 inch on that side.

If I
try to start it while flat AND holding that side up it works. Once
started, I have to let it go so the sled can move and it continues

work.
Since that is not giving me a 45° tip, it does point to the lens

or
something inside being too far off to see the reflection in its

normal
position. Since it comes back at a 45° tip I have to think

something
inside is loose rather than the lens gimble as that only seems to

move
in the plane of the CD. HOWEVER, there isn't anything else in the

assy
that moves except the lens is there??????????
THEREFORE, it has to be the lens gimble, RIGHT?????????

Weeeeeelllllll ... Not necessarily. Firstly, just because you have

manually
pushed the tray all the way in, that still doesn't say that the

whole

movement
to complete the loading cycle, after the tray is fully home.

Sometimes, for
instance, a tray lock slides into place, finally working a switch,

to tell
the micro that loading really is complete. However, leaving that

aside for a
moment, I think that you can be pretty sure that a 1/16th inch of

vertical
play at one of the slides, is not correct. Are you absolutely sure

that
something is not broken or displaced or missing from the mech at

that point
? It's not uncommon for there to be a phosphor bronze finger

attached to the
laser assembly, and resting under the slide rod, to take out just

the sort
of play that you are describing. If it definitely works under all
circumstances with the deck flat, but that side of the laser lifted,

then
logically, that must be where your problem lies, right ?

Arfa

All this talk of CDP-302 got me to finally repair mine. Disc tray
pulleys all gummed up with that 'wonderful' Sony oil that turns to
peanut butter. Clean / lube and runs properly. I forgot what good
servos that machine has. Thanks for the reminder.

GG

weird toilet problem lestrade Home Repair 5 August 3rd 06 01:36 AM
Weird A/C problem Tommy G Home Repair 6 August 5th 05 12:38 AM
Weird TV problem Sm704 Electronics Repair 4 March 29th 05 11:10 PM
Weird problem Electronics Repair 3 October 24th 04 03:29 PM
weird Refrigerator-TV problem BRN Home Repair 6 November 7th 03 08:37 PM