Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default off topic: Internet Explorer 7

The question is to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Yahoo mail seems to be pushing toward upgrading and Windows Update seems
to want to install IE7 but from what I hear the latest isn't always the
greatest.

Maybe a little bit off topic for this group but it seems that many of
the posters would probably have some experience with upgrading.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Parker wrote in :

The question is to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Yahoo mail seems to be pushing toward upgrading and Windows Update seems
to want to install IE7 but from what I hear the latest isn't always the
greatest.

Maybe a little bit off topic for this group but it seems that many of
the posters would probably have some experience with upgrading.

I say upgrade, to Firefox 2.0.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

George Jetson wrote:
Parker wrote in :

The question is to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Yahoo mail seems to be pushing toward upgrading and Windows Update seems
to want to install IE7 but from what I hear the latest isn't always the
greatest.

Maybe a little bit off topic for this group but it seems that many of
the posters would probably have some experience with upgrading.

I say upgrade, to Firefox 2.0.

I second that. Go all the way, though. Firefox 2.0.0.1

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Harry Hamilton wrote:

Parker wrote in :

The question is to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Yahoo mail seems to be pushing toward upgrading and Windows Update seems
to want to install IE7 but from what I hear the latest isn't always the
greatest.

Maybe a little bit off topic for this group but it seems that many of
the posters would probably have some experience with upgrading.

IE7 has some pretty cool features, like you can uninstall it which I did
after 2 weeks. The only benefits that I noticed it had over previous
versions was tabbed browsing and a search bar, but Firefox always had those
and Firefox was always a much better browser.

IE7 also has a Phishing filter which was more of a pain in the ass then
anything.

Yup, and if you had your prior browser set to not ask if you want it to
be the default browser, when install IE7, it does not reset this how
ever, reading your email and clicking on a link which normally takes you
to the browser will then just sit there and do nothing for you.
You have to fish around in IE7 settings and make it the default
browser.. then the click able links in your OL will work.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

The question is to upgrade or not to upgrade?

I wouldn't, if it were even an option for my computer. (It's running Windows
2000 Pro SP4, and probably will be that way for some time to come.)
Microsoft changed the UI quite a bit by ramrodding the toolbars around,
putting the menu bar underneath them (!!!!) and then removing a lot of the
customizability. Some webpages don't work with it properly. Most publicly
accessible stuff does fine, but just try older stuff like the built-in
webservers on various embedded devices. You will see what I mean, especially
if these devices use active content. Some apps that call upon Internet
Explorer functionality to display certain content may break. I haven't seen
that yet...the only reports I have are those from other people who had
broken apps after the upgrade.

I have received several reports (seeing as my hobby is computer repair) from
people stating that they really didn't like the new UI.

From my own experiences using it, I'm sure that it is a decent browser. I
always liked how Internet Explorer was generally quick to respond, and this
seems true in IE7. What I don't like is the new UI and the pushy "security"
measures that busily try to assure me that I'm going to break my computer if
I allow an unsigned ActiveX control to run, even though the very device or
service is one I would trust...

As much as I liked the comparative efficiency of the "Trident" HTML
rendering engine behind IE, I have given up on it and now recommend Firefox
or Opera as a worthy alternative.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

IE7 has some pretty cool features, like you can uninstall it which I did
after 2 weeks.

Hilarious! (also true, IMHO) Can I quote you on that?

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

[...]

From my own experiences using it, I'm sure that it is a decent browser. I
always liked how Internet Explorer was generally quick to respond, and this
seems true in IE7. What I don't like is the new UI and the pushy "security"
measures that busily try to assure me that I'm going to break my computer if
I allow an unsigned ActiveX control to run, even though the very device or
service is one I would trust...

As much as I liked the comparative efficiency of the "Trident" HTML
rendering engine behind IE, I have given up on it and now recommend Firefox
or Opera as a worthy alternative.

William

Hi...

And should it happen to be of any interest, ie7 dropped the telnet
capability.

Take care.

Ken
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Parker wrote:
The question is to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Yahoo mail seems to be pushing toward upgrading and Windows Update seems
to want to install IE7 but from what I hear the latest isn't always the
greatest.

That's because if you don't upgrade you'll get your computer hacked
into.

Maybe a little bit off topic for this group but it seems that many of
the posters would probably have some experience with upgrading.

You're goddamn right this is off topic and if you keep it up i'm going
to report you for abuse.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ken Weitzel wrote:
William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

[...]

From my own experiences using it, I'm sure that it is a decent browser. I
always liked how Internet Explorer was generally quick to respond, and this
seems true in IE7. What I don't like is the new UI and the pushy "security"
measures that busily try to assure me that I'm going to break my computer if
I allow an unsigned ActiveX control to run, even though the very device or
service is one I would trust...

As much as I liked the comparative efficiency of the "Trident" HTML
rendering engine behind IE, I have given up on it and now recommend Firefox
or Opera as a worthy alternative.

William

Hi...

And should it happen to be of any interest, ie7 dropped the telnet
capability.

Take care.

Ken

That's because it's not 1983 anymore, cumstain.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
kip kip is offline

I take it your an Adult MAKE your own decision...
Why make a Decision from some body you don't know.

"Parker" wrote in message
The question is to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Yahoo mail seems to be pushing toward upgrading and Windows Update seems
to want to install IE7 but from what I hear the latest isn't always the
greatest.

Maybe a little bit off topic for this group but it seems that many of the
posters would probably have some experience with upgrading.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

kip wrote:
I take it your an Adult MAKE your own decision...
Why make a Decision from some body you don't know.

Sorry Malissa, I was kind of asking people what they think of Internet
Explorer 7 before I make such a decision. They can tell me it's great or
they can tell me it fried motherboards.

Ever hear of Consumer reports and whatever?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 00:37:13 GMT, George Jetson wrote:

Parker wrote in :

The question is to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Yahoo mail seems to be pushing toward upgrading and Windows Update seems
to want to install IE7 but from what I hear the latest isn't always the
greatest.

Maybe a little bit off topic for this group but it seems that many of
the posters would probably have some experience with upgrading.

I say upgrade, to Firefox 2.0.

There are a *lot* of sites that won't run on anything but internet explorer
version 6. If you upgrade to seven, those sites will be unusable.

Microsoft has shot themselves in the foot with their proprietary broken
html "enhancements." The same broken html that keeps firefox from reaching
some sites also keeps internet explorer 7 out.

Eventually those sites will get fixed; in the meantime, use firefox and
keep internet explorer 6 around for those broken sites.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 00:59:44 GMT, Harry Hamilton wrote:

Parker wrote in :

The question is to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Yahoo mail seems to be pushing toward upgrading and Windows Update seems
to want to install IE7 but from what I hear the latest isn't always the
greatest.

Maybe a little bit off topic for this group but it seems that many of
the posters would probably have some experience with upgrading.

IE7 has some pretty cool features, like you can uninstall it which I did
after 2 weeks. The only benefits that I noticed it had over previous

Are you sure? My understanding is that once you install IE7, there's
no going back without doing a total OS (and application) reinstall.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There are a *lot* of sites that won't run on anything but internet explorer
version 6. If you upgrade to seven, those sites will be unusable.

Microsoft has shot themselves in the foot with their proprietary broken
html "enhancements." The same broken html that keeps firefox from reaching
some sites also keeps internet explorer 7 out.

Eventually those sites will get fixed; in the meantime, use firefox and
keep internet explorer 6 around for those broken sites.

That and ActiveX, so far I'm not aware of any way of using ActiveX in
Firefox. It's a big security hole in itself but that doesn't stop the
fact that many websites and some cheap network cameras require it to work.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:12:02 -0800, Parker Has Frothed:

The question is to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Yahoo mail seems to be pushing toward upgrading and Windows Update seems
to want to install IE7 but from what I hear the latest isn't always the
greatest.

Maybe a little bit off topic for this group but it seems that many of
the posters would probably have some experience with upgrading.

Stay with 6

COOSN-266-06-25794

I put it on my machine, largely because MS are not carrying out any further
maintenance support of IE6, which will leave it ( even ) wide ( er ) open to
abuse from those intent on getting into people's machines. I think it's
largely just a case of " If things don't change, they'll stay as they are ".
Yes, the layout looked a bit alien at first, but once I'd customised it a
bit to make it feel a bit more 'comfortable', I quickly forgot that it was
anything new. I actually shut the phishing filter off, because I felt that
it slowed things down a little on some sites. The multiple tabbed windows
are useful, as is the ability to put a whole series of open windows into a
single Favourite.

The machines that I have are very heavily used, and to date, I have had no
particular problems or issues with my IE7 installation.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 04:43:46 +0000, AZ Nomad Has Frothed:

Parker wrote in :

The question is to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Yahoo mail seems to be pushing toward upgrading and Windows Update seems
to want to install IE7 but from what I hear the latest isn't always the
greatest.

Maybe a little bit off topic for this group but it seems that many of
the posters would probably have some experience with upgrading.

IE7 has some pretty cool features, like you can uninstall it which I did
after 2 weeks. The only benefits that I noticed it had over previous

Are you sure? My understanding is that once you install IE7, there's
no going back without doing a total OS (and application) reinstall.

IE7 touches many different areas of your operating system. Best to make a
system restore point in XP before you install IE7. Then when tire of it
(you will) you can simply restore back to before you installed it.

System restore is usually is a fairly worthless feature. It only takes a backup
of the main registry file and a few files in the windows directory. If dynamic
link libraries (DLLs) for an appliaction (like ie7!) have changed then going to
to a previous registry will frequently damage a system beyond repair.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 13:19:04 +0000, Arfa Daily Has Frothed:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
[...]

I read some Microsoft and generic help groups and the majority of IE7
posts are not so favorable as yours. Glad you're not having problems with
it though.

Yet another, question: Is anyone planning on upgrading to Vista? You do
so, you're gonna be stuck w/ IE7 anyhow. I plan (at least for the
foreseeable future) to stick w/ XP. Yeah, I stuck in IE7 and was quite
shocked at how much of rip it is off Firefox (least the first impression!).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Parker wrote:

The question is to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Yahoo mail seems to be pushing toward upgrading and Windows Update seems
to want to install IE7 but from what I hear the latest isn't always the
greatest.

Maybe a little bit off topic for this group but it seems that many of
the posters would probably have some experience with upgrading.

I just got a new computer, and it came with it. I do not like it, and I
am not going to install it on my other computers. Once again,
everything has been moved, and things I want to use are no longer there,
or working properly. Unfortunately, windows update only works with IE.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 09:28:01 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

System restore is usually is a fairly worthless feature. It only takes a backup
of the main registry file and a few files in the windows directory. If dynamic
link libraries (DLLs) for an appliaction (like ie7!) have changed then going to
to a previous registry will frequently damage a system beyond repair.

Well MSDN and MS Tech Net says otherwise

and of course, microsoft would be the first to tell you if system restore
was ineffective. Wanna buy a bridge?

That doesn't help if system file isn't in a monitored directory.

System Restore is a last ditch effort before a reinstall and I've read
both good and bad about it. Having never used it myself I have no actual
experience. I keep a spare hard drive with an image of my operating system

I do have direct experience especially with clients who tried it and ended
up with a system that no longer boots.

If a new version of software (like IE7!) puts a new version of its settings
in the registry, and you restore to a point where you have old settings in
the registry (IE7 still installed, but IE6 settings in the registry), you're
asking for serious problems.

It truly is a last ditch effort. I don't recomend using system restore on
any system that still boots. Use it from the F8 startup menu on a system
that doesn't boot as you have nothing to lose.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
Have a great day and I'm sorry that Microsoft upsets you so.

If Microsoft was your local hospital . . . . . . .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

I put it on my machine, largely because MS are not carrying out any

further
maintenance support of IE6, which will leave it ( even ) wide ( er ) open

abuse from those intent on getting into people's machines.

Uhhmmm...I don't think that's quite correct. IE6 SP1 on supported versions
of Windows and IE6 SP2 on Windows XP are both still supported by security
updates. So is the version of IE6 that shipped with Windows Server 2003 SP1.
If there is a Windows XP SP3 or Server 2003 SP2, I'd hazard a guess that
they will maintain IE6 (possibly at the next SP version level) instead of
forcing an upgrade to 7.

The underlying architecture is said to be nowhere near as secure as that of
IE7. I don't know if I believe all of that. No doubt there have been
improvements, but I still believe we'll see IE7 coming down with security
problems more often than it should.

Glad to hear IE7 is working well for you. I do believe that Microsoft really
tried to make things better. The trouble is that they tried too hard on the
UI, not as much as they meant to on security, and it doesn't run on all of
the versions of Windows where it would still be quite widely used...no
Win98/Me support I can see and maybe agree with. Why Windows 2000 wasn't
included is beyond me.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

What you never use telnet or ftp? Many times when hacking or recovering
routers telnet is very useful, but I'm sure you'll have some smart ass
coment about that too.

"Malissa Baldwin" wrote in message
ups.com...

And should it happen to be of any interest, ie7 dropped the telnet
capability.

Take care.

Ken

That's because it's not 1983 anymore, cumstain.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Harry Hamilton wrote in news:Bt_kh.65203
:

Ken Weitzel wrote in
Hi...

And should it happen to be of any interest, ie7 dropped the telnet
capability.

Take care.

Ken

didn't they also drop FTP client?

Not exactly. Certainly IE7 seems to have problems to connect to certain
FTP servers, but I found that disabling "passive ftp" in "Tools" ---
"Internet Options" --- "Advanced Options", restores IE7 connectivity
with ftp servers. I havenīt tested the TELNET capability, just because
Iīm used to do TELNET from the command line in Windows XP.

I personally prefer Firefox over IE7, but the truth is that there are
some websites that will not work in anything except IE, so one must have
IE installed.

Also, I find quite interesting how as soon a new version of software is
out, everybody starts to say that "the new version is awful", "it
doesnīt work well", "I donīt like it" and so on... and the final outcome
is always the same: everyone ends using it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

How do,

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 15:44:33 +0100, Luis Martino wrote:
snip
I personally prefer Firefox over IE7, but the truth is that there are
some websites that will not work in anything except IE, so one must have
IE installed.

If using Firefox on IE only sites, there is the "user agent switcher"
extension available from mozilla. Haven't come across an IE only site that
won't work with Firefox yet using this extension ;-)

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Roddy Meatstick.............. wrote:

George Jetson wrote:
Parker wrote in
:

The question is to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Yahoo mail seems to be pushing toward upgrading and Windows Update
seems to want to install IE7 but from what I hear the latest isn't
always the greatest.

Maybe a little bit off topic for this group but it seems that many
of the posters would probably have some experience with upgrading.

I say upgrade, to Firefox 2.0.

And openSUSE 10.2

Linux is the way to go !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Baron" wrote in message
Roddy Meatstick.............. wrote:

George Jetson wrote:
Parker wrote in
:

The question is to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Yahoo mail seems to be pushing toward upgrading and Windows Update
seems to want to install IE7 but from what I hear the latest isn't
always the greatest.

Maybe a little bit off topic for this group but it seems that many
of the posters would probably have some experience with upgrading.

I say upgrade, to Firefox 2.0.

And openSUSE 10.2

Linux is the way to go !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

But only if you have a beard, open toed sandles, own a Morris Minor, and
ride a bike to work ...

Sorry, I couldn't resist that !!

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Baron wrote:

Linux is the way to go !

Only after you admit that you're not man enough to make windows work.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida