Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

Default off topic: Internet Explorer 7

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 07:26:42 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 04:43:46 +0000, AZ Nomad Has Frothed:

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 00:59:44 GMT, Harry Hamilton wrote:

Parker wrote in :

The question is to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Yahoo mail seems to be pushing toward upgrading and Windows Update seems
to want to install IE7 but from what I hear the latest isn't always the
greatest.

Maybe a little bit off topic for this group but it seems that many of
the posters would probably have some experience with upgrading.

IE7 has some pretty cool features, like you can uninstall it which I did
after 2 weeks. The only benefits that I noticed it had over previous

Are you sure? My understanding is that once you install IE7, there's
no going back without doing a total OS (and application) reinstall.

IE7 touches many different areas of your operating system. Best to make a
system restore point in XP before you install IE7. Then when tire of it
(you will) you can simply restore back to before you installed it.

System restore is usually is a fairly worthless feature. It only takes a backup
of the main registry file and a few files in the windows directory. If dynamic
link libraries (DLLs) for an appliaction (like ie7!) have changed then going to
to a previous registry will frequently damage a system beyond repair.