Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Hitachi 50UX15K won't turn on

I know I am in way over my head, but with the price of HDTV dropping
like a rock, I simply cannot justify spending the money to have someone
else fix my Hitachi 50UX15K. So I thought I might try it myself, but I
don't know exactly where to start. I do know enough about this stuff
to know that I *CAN* kill myself because of the high voltage around the
tubs. Thus I know to be VERY careful and not to touch anything that
looks like something that could kill me, which looks like most
everything bigger then a fuse

Here is what I know: When I turn on the power, I here the normal
"click" but the LED on the front ever comes on. There was no
indication that anything was going wrong, it simply stopped displaying
a picture on day.

Is anyone willing to give me some suggestions on things I could look at
which might be a simple fix to the TV? Are there common fuses that
burn out, components that I can check visually? etc? Thanks!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There are a number of green LEDs in the set on the circuit board and one red
one. What do they do when the set is plugged in and when the power is
switched on? Which ones come on, in what order, and for how long?

Leonard

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It has removed 18141 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
kip kip is offline

I agree !!
frank

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 06:53:45 -0800, cartoper Has Frothed:

know I am in way over my head, but with the price of HDTV dropping
like a rock, I simply cannot justify spending the money to have someone
else fix my Hitachi 50UX15K. So I thought I might try it myself, but I
don't know exactly where to start. I do know enough about this stuff
to know that I *CAN* kill myself because of the high voltage around the
tubs. Thus I know to be VERY careful and not to touch anything that
looks like something that could kill me, which looks like most
everything bigger then a fuse

No offense but you're not goingto fix it on your own.

COOSN-266-06-25794

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
There are a number of green LEDs in the set on the circuit board and one red
one. What do they do when the set is plugged in and when the power is
switched on? Which ones come on, in what order, and for how long?

Leonard,

I looked all over and did not see any LED's of any sort. I did turn
the TV on a number of times and never saw anything light up.

When viewing from the front it looks like all the high voltage
components are on the left and the low voltage components are on the
right. It also looks like there are two virtical circuit boards on the
back left. Oh, there is also the one on the front panel to adjust the
tubs and the little one behind the buttons on the front.

Where exactly should I be looking?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

No offense but you're not goingto fix it on your own.

kip wrote:
I agree !!

No offense taken. To tell you the truth, I don't think I can do it
either, but the one thing I know, if I don't try I most definitly
cannot do it

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
kip kip is offline

Support your Local TV Tech and call him...
Because one day YOU will need him.

kip
wrote in message
ups.com...

kip wrote:
I agree !!

No offense taken. To tell you the truth, I don't think I can do it
either, but the one thing I know, if I don't try I most definitly
cannot do it

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

kip wrote:
Support your Local TV Tech and call him...
Because one day YOU will need him.

Kip,

I would in a heart beat, if I had it, I don't. Why else do you think I
am trying to save a 13-year-old TV

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I had the same model with the same symptoms repaired about 9 months back for
about $350. I know it seems like a lot for a 13 year old set, but it still
has a great picture and my family loves it so it was worth it to me. My
only advice is to find someone who has experience with the Hitachi. It is a
well made set and probably worth at least getting a quote for repair.

If you do elect to dump it and are willing to pull the CRTs and boards, let
me know since finding replacement parts is getting pretty tough on mine due
to its age!

Bob

wrote in message
ups.com...