Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default Samsung 27" TV doesn't work.

uh, george, are you sure that is not a voltage divider?

George Jetson wrote:
Ken Weitzel wrote in news:ibDkh.530079$5R2.359199
@pd7urf3no:

Hi..

http://tpub.com/neets/book7/27m.htm

Ken

Thanks for the info. I tested it, and the tripler is bad. It's shorted
between the primary and the secondary. I'll order a new one and hook it up,
and let everyone in the newsgroup know if it worked. Assuming I don't
electrocute myself.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

"anonymous" wrote in
ups.com:

uh, george, are you sure that is not a voltage divider?

Positive. It's called a "High Voltage Tripler" on the schematic, and a
picture I found on the internet calls it a tripler.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

george I have not messed with consumer stuff very much, but I believe
the so-called triplers in TV sets disappeared quite some time ago. That
thar critter appears to me to be an integrated high voltage
transformer, (aka flyback transformer, aka FBT) The part/sub-part
(whatever) you are calling a tripler is, I believe, actually a divider
network. Note the 2 variable resistors, screen and focus. I doubt it is
bad.

Anyways, reflow any poor solder, especially in high heat areas and the
FBT pins themselves. Check any small value fusible resistors in the FBT
secondary side ckts. Look for white, ceramic heat-sink-bodied resistors
near the FBT, 1 ohm or so in value, about 1-2 watts in physical size,
(cant remember the actual ratings.) Check them with an ohmmeter. You
may have to desolder/lift one end to measure properly.

Chances are good it is either that or the FBT its self, as pointed out
earlier.

If you get the crackle of static when trying to power on, it sounds
like the HV is coming up, then going right back down again. One of the
fbt derived low voltages is fed back isomewhere/i, but the fuse
resistor is open. That could be a cheap easy fix that you may be able
to locate without too much extensive troubleshooting skills or
equipment, do not overlook that possibilty.

George Jetson wrote:
"anonymous" wrote in
ups.com:

uh, george, are you sure that is not a voltage divider?

Positive. It's called a "High Voltage Tripler" on the schematic, and a
picture I found on the internet calls it a tripler.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

hey there will also be somma them thar rectum-fliers in series with the
fbt sec. & them thar fusible resistors, be sure to check them too.
anonymous wrote:
[...]

George Jetson wrote:
"anonymous" wrote in
ups.com:

uh, george, are you sure that is not a voltage divider?

Positive. It's called a "High Voltage Tripler" on the schematic, and a
picture I found on the internet calls it a tripler.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
b b is offline

first things first. have you performed the test with the HOT removed
and a 60-100watt bulb across c-e? have you measured the b+? without
these simple tests you could be wasting time or money on the tripler or
whatever. post results.

..B

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

"anonymous" wrote in
ups.com:

uh, george, are you sure that is not a voltage divider?

I'm sure. The schematic says "High Voltage Tripler".
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

"anonymous" wrote in
ups.com:

george I have not messed with consumer stuff very much, but I believe
the so-called triplers in TV sets disappeared quite some time ago. That
thar critter appears to me to be an integrated high voltage
transformer, (aka flyback transformer, aka FBT) The part/sub-part
(whatever) you are calling a tripler is, I believe, actually a divider
network. Note the 2 variable resistors, screen and focus. I doubt it is
bad.

The flyback transformer is soldered to the circuit board. There's another
part screwed to a plastic bracket connected to the flyback by a thick
cable. According to the schematic it's a tripler.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

George Jetson wrote:
"anonymous" wrote in
ups.com:

george I have not messed with consumer stuff very much, but I believe
the so-called triplers in TV sets disappeared quite some time ago. That
thar critter appears to me to be an integrated high voltage
transformer, (aka flyback transformer, aka FBT) The part/sub-part
(whatever) you are calling a tripler is, I believe, actually a divider
network. Note the 2 variable resistors, screen and focus. I doubt it is
bad.

The flyback transformer is soldered to the circuit board. There's another
part screwed to a plastic bracket connected to the flyback by a thick
cable. According to the schematic it's a tripler.

sounds like you got it all under control there sparky.
good luck.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

"anonymous" wrote in
ups.com:

sounds like you got it all under control there sparky.
good luck.

I hope so. Thanks for the help.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:45:14 GMT, George Jetson
wrote:

mm wrote in
:

I do feel free not to offer any advice, and I also feel free to offer
it.

My point is that if you're not convinced of my knowledge of proper safety
precautions, then don't offer any troubleshooting advice.

I got your point.

You don't seem to have gotten mine. I'll offer advice based on
whether I want to or not, not based on your particular desires.

Other people read this list. Not just you.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 20:37:22 GMT, George Jetson
wrote:

Charlie Morgan wrote in
:

If you are not "trying" to be an asshole, then I guess it comes
naturally, and without effort for you.

Really, I'm not. I just think that my safety is solely MY
responsibility, and if I'm comfortable with my level of knowledge in
this area, then anyone who wishes to help me should accept that I am.

I accept that you are compfortable with your level of knowledge in
that area. Now you should accept that I am NOT comfortable. I can't
rely on what you say, for the reasons Charlie explained very well in
his previous post. (most or all of which is quoted here.)

People who have experience
working on televisions have an awareness of how how dangerous they are
for the smug amateur handyman who thinks he knows all the answers when
he doesn't even know what questions to ask. Those who want to make
sure you are not one of "those", are merely being responsible and
showing concern for your welfare. They are trying to help you without
getting you injured or killed. It's not about you or your worthiness.
It's about them being responsible and caring.

You speak as if there are numerous people who are concerned about my
level of expertise in TV repair, and I'm writing replies bashing them
all.

Replace "those" with me and Charlie. He didn't give a number, and
even "those" might have referred just to me, for that matter.

Actually, my original response was to one particular person, mm.
Several people asked about my experience, and I politely answered.
Several people gave me safety advice, which I gladly accepted. A number
of people just accepted that I knew enough to work on TV's and offered
troubleshooting advice. As a matter of fact, YOU were the second person
to give me advice, with no thought as to my qualifications. By the way,
thanks for the advice.

On the other hand, mm flatly called me a liar, and then proceeded to

No, I didn't. I said you hadn't convinced me. And that proof by
assertion wasn't a proof. That doesn't mean you are lying, but it
doesn't convince me that you are right, either.

quiz me with VERY basic TV troubleshooting questions, implying that he
wouldn't answer any questions unless I passed the test. Even though I

Other people had answered and would answer your questions. I couldn't
add to what they had said. So I didn't imply that I would answer your
questions at all. You inferred that I meant that, but I didn't.

was VERY insulted, I just told him that he didn't have to offer any
advice if he didn't think I was qualified to apply it.

And I was annoyed by that. I guess you are trying to be polite with
the phrase "don't have to offer any advice", but I took it literally.
I know I don't HAVE to offer advice. I did it so you wouldn't get
killed. I went to law school for a little while and one of the three
or four things I learned was how easy it is for someone to get killed
while he thinks he knows how to avoid it, that people are negligent
all the time and most of the time they get away with it, but other
times they end up dead. You can learn the same lesson by watching
America's Funniest Home Videos. Well, they actually won't show any
fatalities or serious injuries but they happen just like the
non-serious injuries they do show.

That's when you stepped in. Yes, I realize everyone can read my replies,
but that doesn't mean those replies are directed to everyone. I was
specifically replying to mm, not you, or anyone else. So if I said
something to offend you specifically, I apologize. But if you're
offended by what I said to mm, please keep it to yourself. It's none of
your business.

This is a public list. If you wanted only me to read it, remove
NOPSAM and email me.

I could try to lighten the tone here like you just did with Charlie,
but something about your posts makes me not want to.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
me me is offline