Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Why 60 hertz or 50hert

Hello everyone...

Good day. Im noticed some devices like motors, appliances or any
electronic devices used differents rated of hertz liked our TV used 60
hertz some TV used 50 Hz others rated 50~60. I know that every
countries have there own standard of hertz...My question is there any
effect with the performance of a motor or any kind of electronic
devices if they used with different rate of hertz. Is the rate of hertz
has effect the design, size of the wire and number of turns of
wire..etc.. when creating a new electronic devices...

Don

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

donskister wrote:

Hello everyone...

Good day. Im noticed some devices like motors, appliances or any
electronic devices used differents rated of hertz liked our TV used 60
hertz some TV used 50 Hz others rated 50~60. I know that every
countries have there own standard of hertz...My question is there any
effect with the performance of a motor or any kind of electronic
devices if they used with different rate of hertz. Is the rate of hertz
has effect the design, size of the wire and number of turns of
wire..etc.. when creating a new electronic devices...

There often is an effect but many ( most ) products are made to work fine on either.

Maybe you could be more specific if you have a concern about this.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

donskister wrote:
Hello everyone...

Good day. Im noticed some devices like motors, appliances or any
electronic devices used differents rated of hertz liked our TV used 60
hertz some TV used 50 Hz others rated 50~60. I know that every
countries have there own standard of hertz...My question is there any
effect with the performance of a motor or any kind of electronic
devices if they used with different rate of hertz. Is the rate of hertz
has effect the design, size of the wire and number of turns of
wire..etc.. when creating a new electronic devices...

Don

Motors will turn at the wrong speed if not used at their rated Hz.
60Hz transformers can overheat if used at 50Hz. The lower the
frequency, the heavier the xformer (more iron, more wire).
Transformers can overheat There is a potentialfor
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"donskister" wrote in message
oups.com...

Good day. Im noticed some devices like motors, appliances or any
electronic devices used differents rated of hertz liked our TV used 60
hertz some TV used 50 Hz others rated 50~60.

60 Hz needs less iron but has higher losses.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bennett Price wrote:

donskister wrote:
Hello everyone...

Good day. Im noticed some devices like motors, appliances or any
electronic devices used differents rated of hertz liked our TV used 60
hertz some TV used 50 Hz others rated 50~60. I know that every
countries have there own standard of hertz...My question is there any
effect with the performance of a motor or any kind of electronic
devices if they used with different rate of hertz. Is the rate of hertz
has effect the design, size of the wire and number of turns of
wire..etc.. when creating a new electronic devices...

Don

Motors will turn at the wrong speed if not used at their rated Hz.

Not all motors by any means.

60Hz transformers can overheat if used at 50Hz.

This is why most are designed to be 50/60 Hz.

The lower the
frequency, the heavier the xformer (more iron, more wire).
Transformers can overheat There is a potentialfor

Can being the relevant word. It depends on the product.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Eeyore writes:

donskister wrote:

Hello everyone...

Good day. Im noticed some devices like motors, appliances or any
electronic devices used differents rated of hertz liked our TV used 60
hertz some TV used 50 Hz others rated 50~60. I know that every
countries have there own standard of hertz...My question is there any
effect with the performance of a motor or any kind of electronic
devices if they used with different rate of hertz. Is the rate of hertz
has effect the design, size of the wire and number of turns of
wire..etc.. when creating a new electronic devices...

There often is an effect but many ( most ) products are made to work fine on either.

Maybe you could be more specific if you have a concern about this.

Also see: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/pwrfaq.htm#ipslfi

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

donskister wrote:
Hello everyone...

Good day. Im noticed some devices like motors, appliances or any
electronic devices used differents rated of hertz liked our TV used 60
hertz some TV used 50 Hz others rated 50~60. I know that every
countries have there own standard of hertz...My question is there any
effect with the performance of a motor or any kind of electronic
devices if they used with different rate of hertz. Is the rate of hertz
has effect the design, size of the wire and number of turns of
wire..etc.. when creating a new electronic devices...

Don

The US and some countries use 60hz, Canada uses 50hz or used to as does
Europe. Some countries use 30hz. The military uses 400hz power in many
applications.
What I don't get is how can the US grid be tied to the Canadian grid as
we sell power back and forth with different freqencies. I know they make
phase converters (that is how the military gets 400hz) but seems like a
gigantic waste converting back and forth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Paul Bunion wrote:
donskister wrote:
[...]

Imagine plugging a 60hz motor into a 400hz outlet! You gonna crank some
rpm's.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Paul Bunion" wrote in message

The US and some countries use 60hz, Canada uses 50hz or used to

Nope. 60 Hz although some generators were 25 hertz (but no more - see
http://www.iaw.com/~falls/power.html)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Imagine plugging a 60hz motor into a 400hz outlet! You gonna crank some
rpm's.

400 is used for aircraft and in some specialized shops.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Paul Bunion wrote:

Some countries use 30hz

30 ?

Where ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Paul Bunion wrote:

The military uses 400hz power in many
applications.

And aerospace. It keeps the weight of transformers down.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Paul Bunion wrote:
donskister wrote:

[...]

Canada has been 60Hz for as long as I've been alive. The power grid is
directly interconnected with the US grid.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Eeyore wrote:

Paul Bunion wrote:

The military uses 400hz power in many
applications.

And aerospace. It keeps the weight of transformers down.

Graham

Transformers, motors, alternators, it's all smaller.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Paul Bunion wrote:

The military uses 400hz power in many
applications.

And aerospace. It keeps the weight of transformers down.

Graham

Transformers, motors, alternators, it's all smaller.

I hadn't thought of motors and alternators too.

The A380's using variable frequency alternators btw to make even further weight
savings.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yeah, imagine having to make parts of niagara falls flow at
different rates to accommodate the two standards.

James Sweet wrote:

Canada has been 60Hz for as long as I've been alive. The power grid is
directly interconnected with the US grid.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

No, not all motors -- but virtually any induction motor will
be affected, and there are lots of them out there. Even
electromechanical pinball machines were made with different
motors for 50 vs 60 hz.

And I'm not sure why you think "most" transformers are
designed to be used at 50 or 60 Hz. You would have to derate
them from 60 Hz operation making them bigger, heavier, and
more expensive. How much of your consumer electronics is
overdesigned?

Eeyore wrote:

Bennett Price wrote:

donskister wrote:

Motors will turn at the wrong speed if not used at their rated Hz.

Not all motors by any means.

60Hz transformers can overheat if used at 50Hz.

This is why most are designed to be 50/60 Hz.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Paul Bunion wrote:
donskister wrote:
[...]

Canada converted to 60 Hz back in the 50's.
Regards
Lee in Toronto
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

M Berger wrote:

No, not all motors -- but virtually any induction motor will
be affected, and there are lots of them out there. Even
electromechanical pinball machines were made with different
motors for 50 vs 60 hz.

And I'm not sure why you think "most" transformers are
designed to be used at 50 or 60 Hz. You would have to derate
them from 60 Hz operation making them bigger, heavier, and
more expensive. How much of your consumer electronics is
overdesigned?

Suppliers to the world market usually design for 50/60 Hz since 60Hz use is
quite rare on the global scale of things.

60Hz only transformers tend to be the speciality of the USA.

Graham

Eeyore wrote:

Bennett Price wrote:

donskister wrote:

Motors will turn at the wrong speed if not used at their rated Hz.

Not all motors by any means.

60Hz transformers can overheat if used at 50Hz.

This is why most are designed to be 50/60 Hz.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Many long distance feeds are now HVDC, which deals with the frequency
difference problem just fine.

I believe parts of Japan are 50 Hz and other parts are 60.

I've never heard about 30 Hz, but the swedish railroads use 16 2/3 Hz
(50/3) for the trains. The store behind this was that that was such a
low frequency that they could use DC motors in the early electrical
locomotives.

I live by the railroad, and when I was using a CRT monitor I could see
when a train approached from the north, as the current to drive the
train induced a strong magnetic field at 16 2/3 Hz, and the picture
would wobble slightly.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thomas Tornblom wrote:

Many long distance feeds are now HVDC, which deals with the frequency
difference problem just fine.

I believe parts of Japan are 50 Hz and other parts are 60.

I've never heard about 30 Hz, but the swedish railroads use 16 2/3 Hz
(50/3) for the trains. The store behind this was that that was such a
low frequency that they could use DC motors in the early electrical
locomotives.

I live by the railroad, and when I was using a CRT monitor I could see
when a train approached from the north, as the current to drive the
train induced a strong magnetic field at 16 2/3 Hz, and the picture
would wobble slightly.

Dc motors wont work on ac of any frequency. Low frequencies used in
traction improve the motors' starting torque, and of course this is
important.

I've got a very old domestic appliance that claims to handle 25Hz, but
where 25Hz was ever found in homes in UK I dont know. I wonder if a few
old private gen plants used it at the time, and they thought theyd
corner the market, but am far from convinced.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

Dc motors wont work on ac of any frequency.

Not necessarily true. Clearly they work on ZF, and would continue to work
until the motor impedance became significant.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Eeyore wrote:

Paul Bunion wrote:

Some countries use 30hz

30 ?

Where ?

Graham

Actually, it was 25 Hz and it was used in areas around mines.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Dc motors wont work on ac of any frequency.

Not necessarily true. Clearly they work on ZF,

yes

and would continue to work
until the motor impedance became significant.

no. A dc motor is by definition one that runs on dc only. Typically
these are permanent magnet motors, in which direction of rotation
depends on polarity. Motor impedance is not the issue. Motor impedance
is the issue with universal or ac/dc motors.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

Dc motors wont work on ac of any frequency.

Not necessarily true. Clearly they work on ZF,

yes

and would continue to work
until the motor impedance became significant.

no. A dc motor is by definition one that runs on dc only. Typically
these are permanent magnet motors, in which direction of rotation
depends on polarity. Motor impedance is not the issue. Motor impedance
is the issue with universal or ac/dc motors.

Nope. I doubt anyone has EVER built a traction motor with permanent magnets.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Eeyore wrote:

Suppliers to the world market usually design for 50/60 Hz since 60Hz use is
quite rare on the global scale of things.

60Hz only transformers tend to be the speciality of the USA.

Still trolling? Sci.electronics.design not big enough for all your
nonsense? What transformers are you talking about? Those cheap,
imported Chinese wall warts, or pole pigs? Just about everything else
is built with a SMPS. Why waste both iron and copper to build 50 Hz
transformers for the domestic market?

You just can't wait to get in another of your anti America digs, can
you?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:

Canada has been 60Hz for as long as I've been alive. The power grid is
directly interconnected with the US grid.

How do you think they control the frequency? They adjust the water
flow through the turbines to get the required speed. They have to match
the speed and phase of the grid before they can connect, then they
increase the water flow till the generator is producing the desired
current.

It would be very easy to change the speed, but it would make more
sense to use an alternator designed for the desired frequency.