Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Default Why 60 hertz or 50hert

Paul Bunion wrote:
donskister wrote:
Hello everyone...

Good day. Im noticed some devices like motors, appliances or any
electronic devices used differents rated of hertz liked our TV used 60
hertz some TV used 50 Hz others rated 50~60. I know that every
countries have there own standard of hertz...My question is there any
effect with the performance of a motor or any kind of electronic
devices if they used with different rate of hertz. Is the rate of hertz
has effect the design, size of the wire and number of turns of
wire..etc.. when creating a new electronic devices...

Don

The US and some countries use 60hz, Canada uses 50hz or used to as does
Europe. Some countries use 30hz. The military uses 400hz power in many
applications.
What I don't get is how can the US grid be tied to the Canadian grid as
we sell power back and forth with different freqencies. I know they make
phase converters (that is how the military gets 400hz) but seems like a
gigantic waste converting back and forth.

Canada converted to 60 Hz back in the 50's.
Regards
Lee in Toronto