Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default question about repair

i just recieved a sony cdp-c265 5 disc cd-player. it turns on and
opens, but when u put a disc in it dosnt detect it. could somebody help
me out with that and tell me why it isnt working?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" writes:

"b" wrote in message
oups.com...

ha escrito:

i just recieved a sony cdp-c265 5 disc cd-player. it turns on and
opens, but when u put a disc in it dosnt detect it. could somebody
help
me out with that and tell me why it isnt working?

get a q tip, soak in pure alcohol from chemists, gently clean the lens.
leave to dry and test-

Failing this doing the trick, suspect a bad laser.

This is like saying: "If your car won't start, check the air filter and if
its clean, suspect a the engine needs replacing."

See the CD repair guide on startup problems.

Sorry Sam. Normally, I respect your input, but that statement, in view of
the basic symptom and long experience, which I know you have also, is pure
nonsense. You know as well as I do, that if a Sony is suffering from failing
to read a disc, the first most likely cause is a dirty laser, as "b"
suggested, followed by a defective laser. If you know this model, you will
be aware that it employs a KSS240A laser which, in view of its age, is the
most likely problem, after it being dirty. For sure, there are other
possibilities, but if the OP is not experienced enough to have first tried
properly cleaning the laser, or suspected it to be faulty before enquiring
on here, it is unlikely that he will understand the more technical reasons
that the player might not be working.

I stand by my original contention that if the cleaning the laser does not
produce at least a degree of fix to the problem, then the next most likely
suspect, is the laser itself.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" writes:

"b" wrote in message
oups.com...

ha escrito:

[...]

I'll happily defer to your experience which is no doubt orders of magnitude
more than mine with specific model equipment.

What I would suggest is next time, to include a summary of what you wrote
above so that everyone else can share in it. Since, it may not be true
in general.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" writes:

"b" wrote in message
oups.com...

ha escrito:

[...]

Ok Sam, I can live with that. I just felt that as defective lasers are the
most common cause of virtually any manufacturer's equipment failing to read
discs, probably by a factor of 5 to 1 or more over any more complex problem,
that in this case, a longer answer was not needed, any more than " b's " one
regarding cleaning. Had I have felt that it needed more explanation, I would
have given it. That was why I was surprised at your response when I
suggested a likely single component ... Have a good 'un d;~)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" writes:

"b" wrote in message
oups.com...

ha escrito:

[...]

Has it really gotten that bad? I don't think it was like that 10 years ago,
was it? There seemed to be many other causes higher up than bad lasers.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dont use alcohol to clean the eye lens . Use windex .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I hit the send button to soon .

After cleaning the lens with windex and that does not work you could try
to unplug the wire going to the laser and plug it back in . Sometimes
this works .

Other causes .. possible bad disk motor , bad laser or wire strip going
to it ,, belt slipping .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
kip kip is offline

You failed to mention what kind of disc.

wrote in message
ups.com...
i just recieved a sony cdp-c265 5 disc cd-player. it turns on and
opens, but when u put a disc in it dosnt detect it. could somebody help
me out with that and tell me why it isnt working?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sam is correct. Let's see, the player does not detect CDs so check the
lense for dust? It could be a bad laser? Not even close! CD changers
generally have sensors to tell them which slots have disks in them. I'd
check those sensors first. Also the change/loading mechanism could have
sensor switch problems.

DaveL

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
news

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" writes:

"b" wrote in message
oups.com...

ha escrito:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"dave" nospam wrote in message
. ..
Sam is correct. Let's see, the player does not detect CDs so check the
lense for dust? It could be a bad laser? Not even close! CD changers
generally have sensors to tell them which slots have disks in them. I'd
check those sensors first. Also the change/loading mechanism could have
sensor switch problems.

DaveL

Sam, or indeed you, *may* be correct - it depends on what exactly the OP
means by the player " failing to detect a disc ". In my experience, this is
normal-speak for the player not extracting a TOC from a disc, maybe after a
spin-up, maybe not even getting that far. It is very very rare for a player
that has separate disc detection, to fail to sense that a disc is on the
carousel at any particular position. Many players do not have separate disc
detection sensors, relying on the laser to find something when it initiates
a focus search. This particular player does use separate optical sensors for
both disc and carousel position detection. However, I can't remember ever
having a problem with one failing to sense discs on the carousel.

Having repaired many of these, I would fire the same statement of " not even
close ", back at you. In my experience, the most common playing problem on
these is due to a defective ( or just plain dusty ) KSS240A, and the
liklihood of any sensors being at fault is slim at best. I have had the
laser flexiprint go bad, and that usually results in failure of the focus
motor to operate, as the tracks that normally break are the ones that
connect to there. This is easily spotted by watching to see if the lens goes
up and down ( having first fooled the sensor into thinking that there is a
disc in place, of course ...) Very often, a poke of the flexiprint at that
point in time, will cause the tracks to momentarily remake, and the lens
will move.

And to Sam, yes, I would say that the situation is that bad now. The quality
of the 'standard' Sony KSS series lasers, fitted to many manufacturer's
products, seems to have gone down and down over the years, and I change many
of them - often in kit that's still within the warranty period, which is
often about the only time that it's financially viable to do it. The latest
Sony offering in the laser stakes, is not even replaceable. The flexiprint
is solder-attached at both ends, so the whole assembly has to be replaced,
complete with the servo / amp pcb, which also is not really servicable, as
the IC is one of those calculator style " ball of snot " jobs, that has no
visible pins for measuring on.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hey Afra,

You may have me there. I've only repaired two CD changers. One Yamaha had
a hairline crack on the stepper motor gear that caused it to skip
intermittently. One Denon did have bad tray sensor switches. It had a hard
time loading disks because of it.

But my point was more to do with the way some things are blanketly
diagnosed. I have much more tape machine background. I don't know how many
times a lay person would hand me a bad tape machine and tell me it probably
just needs the heads cleaned. I'd be like "sure I'll clean the heads for
you. How about I fix it after that?"

DaveL

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"dave" nospam wrote in message
. ..

I have much more tape machine background. I don't know how many times a
lay person would hand me a bad tape machine and tell me it probably just
needs the heads cleaned. I'd be like "sure I'll clean the heads for you.
How about I fix it after that?"

People don't like to feel like they are out of their depth. Cliff Claven
wasn't just a character on Cheers.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"dave" nospam wrote in message
. ..
Hey Afra,

You may have me there. I've only repaired two CD changers. One Yamaha
had a hairline crack on the stepper motor gear that caused it to skip
intermittently. One Denon did have bad tray sensor switches. It had a
hard time loading disks because of it.

But my point was more to do with the way some things are blanketly
diagnosed. I have much more tape machine background. I don't know how
many times a lay person would hand me a bad tape machine and tell me it
probably just needs the heads cleaned. I'd be like "sure I'll clean the
heads for you. How about I fix it after that?"

DaveL

Ok Dave, fair enough. I tend to pitch replies at the level of expertise that
I perceive the poster to have in the field. Anyone who knows me on here
would, I'm sure, back me up that I am never one to issue a " blanket fix "
statement. I always try to offer considered and practical advice on specific
problems that I know on specific equipment, or if I am offering more general
advice, it will be based on similar problems that I've had over the 35 or so
years that I've been mending this stuff, and the measurements and
observations that are most likely to get you to a fix. I was only brief on
this one, because that was all that I felt I needed to add to "b's"
originally brief, and eminently valid response to this problem on this
particular model.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"dave" nospam writes:

Hey Afra,

You may have me there. I've only repaired two CD changers. One Yamaha had
a hairline crack on the stepper motor gear that caused it to skip
intermittently. One Denon did have bad tray sensor switches. It had a hard
time loading disks because of it.

But my point was more to do with the way some things are blanketly
diagnosed. I have much more tape machine background. I don't know how many
times a lay person would hand me a bad tape machine and tell me it probably
just needs the heads cleaned. I'd be like "sure I'll clean the heads for
you. How about I fix it after that?"

DaveL

I remember there were some Sony models (I think) where the speed of the motor
that rotated the corousel would drift with time and then the player wouldn't
even recognize that there was a disc in any position. A resistor/pot
fixed that.

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"dave" nospam writes:

[...]

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header
above is ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics
is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the
Feedback Form in the FAQs.

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

Also on these Sony models the inside limit switch can be flaky or
inoperative. The disc just spins and does nothing else 'til the limit switch
hits.

MarkZ.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 06:44:51 -0700, Ken G. wrote:

I hit the send button to soon .

After cleaning the lens with windex and that does not work you could try
to unplug the wire going to the laser and plug it back in . Sometimes
this works .

Other causes .. possible bad disk motor , bad laser or wire strip going
to it ,, belt slipping .

Ken, why dont you like the alcohol? My experience,
Windex is liable to leave residue. Thanks...

TV repair question [email protected] Electronics Repair 6 July 28th 06 06:18 AM
Repair Question DE Metalworking 8 August 26th 05 03:16 PM
Repair question cl Electronics Repair 2 April 6th 05 06:27 AM
GE TV repair question max Electronics Repair 16 July 14th 03 02:14 AM