Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default question about repair

"Arfa Daily" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" writes:

"b" wrote in message
oups.com...

ha escrito:

i just recieved a sony cdp-c265 5 disc cd-player. it turns on and
opens, but when u put a disc in it dosnt detect it. could somebody
help
me out with that and tell me why it isnt working?

get a q tip, soak in pure alcohol from chemists, gently clean the lens.
leave to dry and test-

Failing this doing the trick, suspect a bad laser.

This is like saying: "If your car won't start, check the air filter and if
its clean, suspect a the engine needs replacing."

See the CD repair guide on startup problems.

Sorry Sam. Normally, I respect your input, but that statement, in view of
the basic symptom and long experience, which I know you have also, is pure
nonsense. You know as well as I do, that if a Sony is suffering from failing
to read a disc, the first most likely cause is a dirty laser, as "b"
suggested, followed by a defective laser. If you know this model, you will
be aware that it employs a KSS240A laser which, in view of its age, is the
most likely problem, after it being dirty. For sure, there are other
possibilities, but if the OP is not experienced enough to have first tried
properly cleaning the laser, or suspected it to be faulty before enquiring
on here, it is unlikely that he will understand the more technical reasons
that the player might not be working.

I stand by my original contention that if the cleaning the laser does not
produce at least a degree of fix to the problem, then the next most likely
suspect, is the laser itself.

I'll happily defer to your experience which is no doubt orders of magnitude
more than mine with specific model equipment.

What I would suggest is next time, to include a summary of what you wrote
above so that everyone else can share in it. Since, it may not be true
in general.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/