Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default JVC RX-318 half dead

Ok I got a weird one.

I ran into a JVC RX-318 that is half dead. when you plug it in, the standby
relay comes on, the main speaker relays will also come on 5 seconds after
the standby relay comes on, does this under normal conditions also.

But the whole front panel is dead, no VFD, no standby LED, nothing.

i see filiments, thats about it. I checked the incomming standby 5V, it is
present.

im at a standstill. any ideas? bad micro?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

here is the funny thing.

If i take and wet my finger a little bit, and touch underneith the crystal,
sometimes the front pannel will spring back to life, and shortly after it
will "lock up" and go dead again. sometimes it dont work at all.

i changed the crystal, didnt resolve it. resoldered the entire area. im at a
standstill. any ideas? its like the clockpulse just doesnt want to start.

"Mike" wrote in message
.. .
Ok I got a weird one.

I ran into a JVC RX-318 that is half dead. when you plug it in, the
standby relay comes on, the main speaker relays will also come on 5
seconds after the standby relay comes on, does this under normal
conditions also.

But the whole front panel is dead, no VFD, no standby LED, nothing.

i see filiments, thats about it. I checked the incomming standby 5V, it is
present.

im at a standstill. any ideas? bad micro?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mike wrote:
here is the funny thing.

If i take and wet my finger a little bit, and touch underneith the
crystal, sometimes the front pannel will spring back to life, and
shortly after it will "lock up" and go dead again. sometimes it dont
work at all.

i changed the crystal, didnt resolve it. resoldered the entire area.
im at a standstill. any ideas? its like the clockpulse just doesnt
want to start.

"Mike" wrote in message
.. .
Ok I got a weird one.

I ran into a JVC RX-318 that is half dead. when you plug it in, the
standby relay comes on, the main speaker relays will also come on 5
seconds after the standby relay comes on, does this under normal
conditions also.

But the whole front panel is dead, no VFD, no standby LED, nothing.

i see filiments, thats about it. I checked the incomming standby 5V,
it is present.

im at a standstill. any ideas? bad micro?

There could be some contamination in the area, a small cap could be leaky, a
reset line being pulled down, 5 volt line being just a "bit" low, who knows?
Sounds like a fun one all right. A service manual and some experience with
problems like this would be good...

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Anyway all sarcasm aside, i checked for a clockpulse with a scope, and there
is one. I got the service manual and schematic to the reciever, and my
voltages are normal, the VFD voltage is normal, the 5v is normal. the reset
pin is active low, and it goes low on plugin and back high as it should.
none of the keys are stuck electrically. so the only conclusion i can draw
is my "wet finger" is causing a momentary clock glitch that starts up the
CPU.

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 05:37:36 +0000, Mike Has Frothed:

here is the funny thing.

If i take and wet my finger a little bit, and touch underneith the
crystal,
sometimes the front pannel will spring back to life, and shortly after it
will "lock up" and go dead again. sometimes it dont work at all.

i changed the crystal, didnt resolve it. resoldered the entire area. im
at a
standstill. any ideas? its like the clockpulse just doesnt want to start.

What other diagnostic instruments do you besides a wet finger?

"Mike" wrote in message
.. .
Ok I got a weird one.

I ran into a JVC RX-318 that is half dead. when you plug it in, the
standby relay comes on, the main speaker relays will also come on 5
seconds after the standby relay comes on, does this under normal
conditions also.

But the whole front panel is dead, no VFD, no standby LED, nothing.

i see filiments, thats about it. I checked the incomming standby 5V, it
is
present.

im at a standstill. any ideas? bad micro?

COOSN-266-06-25794

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

these micros are proprietary too which sucks, i could dump the code and
program a new one as i cant seem to find a replacement.

"ampdoc" wrote in message

. ..

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 05:37:36 +0000, Mike Has Frothed:

here is the funny thing.

If i take and wet my finger a little bit, and touch underneith the
crystal,
sometimes the front pannel will spring back to life, and shortly after
it
will "lock up" and go dead again. sometimes it dont work at all.

i changed the crystal, didnt resolve it. resoldered the entire area. im
at a
standstill. any ideas? its like the clockpulse just doesnt want to
start.

What other diagnostic instruments do you besides a wet finger?

"Mike" wrote in message
.. .
Ok I got a weird one.

I ran into a JVC RX-318 that is half dead. when you plug it in, the
standby relay comes on, the main speaker relays will also come on 5
seconds after the standby relay comes on, does this under normal
conditions also.

But the whole front panel is dead, no VFD, no standby LED, nothing.

i see filiments, thats about it. I checked the incomming standby 5V,
it is
present.

im at a standstill. any ideas? bad micro?

COOSN-266-06-25794

I seem to recall that these units had a problem with the CPU locking up.
Look on the front panel PCB, I think there is a capacitor in the 5V line
for stby to the micro. With the unit unplugged FULLY discharge the
capacitor, then give the unit a try. It's been a year since I saw one of
these but I do believe that fixed 90% of them, the internal RAM in the
micro would get corrupt data and by discharging the cap it would flush the
bad data. If this dosen't do it, try replacing the cap, if that's a no-go
you'll need to replace the micro.

Jammy

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 04:54:43 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

Ok I got a weird one.

I ran into a JVC RX-318 that is half dead. when you plug it in, the standby
relay comes on, the main speaker relays will also come on 5 seconds after
the standby relay comes on, does this under normal conditions also.

But the whole front panel is dead, no VFD, no standby LED, nothing.

i see filiments, thats about it. I checked the incomming standby 5V, it is
present.

im at a standstill. any ideas? bad micro?

I would check for high esr capacitors in the power supply. I had a
Nak receiver with the same symptom and it was caused by a faulty
electrolytic. Chuck