Knut Simonsen

Default TV is half dead

I had a small Sharp Tv 14 " Tv with me on vacation, and it got exposed to
humid conditions.
Humidity not water directly.

After a few days it would not start. I heard sound for a few seconds, but no
picture, and then nothing.

After heating the inside whith a hair dryer for 10 minutes i works like a
dream for
as long as I want to, but when I turn it off, and it becomes cold again, its
back to the same problem.

What could be the problem, and would it be any point in having it repaired?

Knut
Oslo

Tom MacIntyre

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:04:44 +0200, "Knut Simonsen"
wrote:

I had a small Sharp Tv 14 " Tv with me on vacation, and it got exposed to
humid conditions.
Humidity not water directly.

After a few days it would not start. I heard sound for a few seconds, but no
picture, and then nothing.

After heating the inside whith a hair dryer for 10 minutes i works like a
dream for
as long as I want to, but when I turn it off, and it becomes cold again, its
back to the same problem.

What could be the problem, and would it be any point in having it repaired?

Knut
Oslo

First guess...dead/dying electrolytic capacitor, likely in the power
supply, probably unrelated to your humid conditions.

Tom
Knut Simonsen

First guess...dead/dying electrolytic capacitor, likely in the power
supply, probably unrelated to your humid conditions.

hehe, that is what I told my wife too ( Its her old Tv )
But she insisted that it was my fault, since I was the one leaving it
outside.

Could a bad soulder on the capacitor be the culprit or is the fault likely
to be inside the capacitor.?

Knut

Tom MacIntyre

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:38:22 +0200, "Knut Simonsen"
wrote:

First guess...dead/dying electrolytic capacitor, likely in the power
supply, probably unrelated to your humid conditions.

hehe, that is what I told my wife too ( Its her old Tv )
But she insisted that it was my fault, since I was the one leaving it
outside.

Could a bad soulder on the capacitor be the culprit or is the fault likely
to be inside the capacitor.?

Knut

Could be one or the other...does it ever come up on its own, without
the heat? I don't know what make/model it is, so I don't know whether
tapping it is a good idea, but that could tell you something as
well...or nothing. It's all guesswork without a visual inspection,
ESRing the crucial capacitors, etc.

Tom