Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Help, how do I dry out wet camcorder?

Recently I took a JVC Hard Disk Camcorder model GZ-MG37U out near
the beach on a very stormy day. A huge ocean wave came up and threw
water all over us while the camcorder was recording. I wiped it
immediately. But later when I tried to tape something it said
"Recording Failure". When I put it in play mode only a few of the
indexes showed up. It won't play any "HDD Error! keeps showing up.
I was able to make it "Protect All" the files. It did it because I can
see the 'key' symbol in each index box. Most of each index boxes are
black. But they do show the date, time and quality setting when
trying to play them.

In record mode it shows what the lens is pointing at but then turns
itself off then on over and over. I was able to change the quality but
not get it to record.

I've performed the "Clean Up" operation on it. But it doesn't seem to
help. But will it help if I do it over and over?

BTW, the "Still Image Mode" is working perfectly. It plays and
records.

I know very little about hard drive Camcorder. What should I do to get
it working again?

Ben

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

And don't forget not to take your camcorder to Washington D.C. during the
raniy season!!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

Recently I took a JVC Hard Disk Camcorder model GZ-MG37U out near
the beach on a very stormy day. A huge ocean wave came up and threw
water all over us while the camcorder was recording. I wiped it
immediately. But later when I tried to tape something it said
"Recording Failure".

If it was mine I would dissolve sodium bicarb in warm water and then soak
the camcorder in that for a while. Then dry it out for two weeks and see if
it would run.

But it's a crap shoot either way. Keep them away from sea, salt and sand.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

If it was dunked in sal****er then you ought to rinse it well in
tapwater to at least flush out the sal****er which virtually immediatly
starts corroding the "works". Then dry it in a warm place.

Then take it to get properly cleaned and lubricated.

This advice used to be standard for still cameras that were
predominately mechanical. They used to be worth repairing and could be
economically. Probably for electronics these days the sal****er is
certain death, and repairs usually less economically viable.

Hard to see much chance of success though. Time to get a new one I think.

Regards Wilfred
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The one Rule about wet electronics is not to power it up while wet.
Remove battery immediately, open any cavities and dry for a week. With
salt water, flush it out well first.

NT

If you get water in the optics or the hard drive (they're not
moisture-tight) those parts will probably be destroyed. Sal****er is
nasty stuff, you could try opening it up and washing the boards but it's
probably time for a new camera.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Salt water is death to electronics, it's corrosive and conductive. Unless
this is a very expensive camcorder then it may not be a viable repair.
Dunking it in water as some have suggested is not a good idea, don't even
consider it for a second as your problems will get much worse. Water will
contaminate the lenses/optics and cause serious problems. Also, this is a
hard drive based camcorder, water will enter the drive via the breather
holes and destroy it.

The only realistic hope of salvage is for a tech to dismantle it and wash
the electronics in distilled water or PCB cleaner solvent etc, thoroughly
dry out, reassemble and see if it works. One thing is certain, if it's left
as it is it will be ruined as the sal****er does its evil work over time!

The fact that the camera still has some functionality is promising however-
it may be a tiny amount of contamination causing leakage current between
adjacent PCB tracks or IC pins with no permanent damage. It will need to be
looked at very very soon though if you want to save it.

Morse

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mm" wrote in message

When I had a sal****er aquarium, I would find salt on the out sides of
it and on the desk I kept it on, even though no one was touching the
tank except me, and I wasn't spilling any water.

I guess somehow it evaporates and condenses outside the tank. Isn't
there an expression, or did I make it up, about salt in the air?

No, you are correct. I have seen audio CDs, stored about a block away from
the ocean, where the salt has corroded its way into the 'spiral groove' and
destroyed the CD.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"mm" wrote in message

When I had a sal****er aquarium, I would find salt on the out sides of
it and on the desk I kept it on, even though no one was touching the
tank except me, and I wasn't spilling any water.

I guess somehow it evaporates and condenses outside the tank. Isn't
there an expression, or did I make it up, about salt in the air?

No, you are correct. I have seen audio CDs, stored about a block away from
the ocean, where the salt has corroded its way into the 'spiral groove'
and destroyed the CD.

One only has to observe the effects on cars which spend their lives near the
sea- they tend to rot quicker than cars that live inland.

Morse

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Morse wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Indeed,Corrosion is building by the minute!
IMHO,It's probably hosed.
Insurance? Warranty?

Morse