Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default SONY's VCR RF Input don't work

I have a SONY VHS VCR in which the RF Input seem to be dead.

The RCA input/output and RF output works.

The Cable/Antenna signal goes thru the VCR to the TV with no problem.

The VCR's Menu/On screen graphics appear on the TV.

I have tried to program the channels into the VCR both via auto scan and
manually, but, after it finish no channels are programmed. And any channel I
try to access by directly entering the channel is also blank

This seemed to have happen after the local cable company sent a command to
"shut down" their older cable boxes to make way for newer models. However, I
can't prove it to the point of getting them to pay for any repairs.

So, in the end,why won't the VCR accept any signal via the RF Input?

Any ideas?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Zentraleinheit wrote:
I have a SONY VHS VCR in which the RF Input seem to be dead.

The RCA input/output and RF output works.

The Cable/Antenna signal goes thru the VCR to the TV with no problem.

The VCR's Menu/On screen graphics appear on the TV.

I have tried to program the channels into the VCR both via auto scan and
manually, but, after it finish no channels are programmed. And any channel I
try to access by directly entering the channel is also blank

This seemed to have happen after the local cable company sent a command to
"shut down" their older cable boxes to make way for newer models. However, I
can't prove it to the point of getting them to pay for any repairs.

So, in the end,why won't the VCR accept any signal via the RF Input?

Any ideas?

I don't think the cable company sent out a sinal or "bullet" to stop the
older cable boxes from working.
I believe thy may ave just stopped transmitting analog cable signals.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I don't think the cable company sent out a sinal or "bullet" to stop the
older cable boxes from working.

Oh yes they did

How do I know?

Becasue they (Adelphia) informed all users of cable boxes ( needed to
receive Showtime/Stars/ Cinamax) that they will "shut down all older boxes
to force the change to newer "digital" boxes. This so they can provide more
channels/pay for view..

I believe thy may ave just stopped transmitting analog cable signals.

Tell that to my other SONY VCR, or my 18 year old Zenith, or my no name $69
TV. They have no trouble getting the cable signal. And non of which use a
box or has HDTV!

Plus, if its only the cable signal that went digital, why cant the VCR pick
up off the air signals either?

Plagiarism Kirk Woodturning 118 March 9th 05 12:04 PM
How to find a good contractor? Alexander Galkin Home Repair 34 March 1st 05 05:06 PM
Electrical work - would inspector check previously done work? Himanshu Home Repair 4 January 23rd 05 07:04 PM
Composite video output to "AV in" input? CHale Electronics Repair 5 November 3rd 03 05:55 PM
Moisture Cure Urethane (Moisture Cured Urethane) Moshe Woodworking 6 September 5th 03 05:50 PM