Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Flourescent ballast

I bought a 240V, 26W fluorescent lamp marketed by Omicron
(type OMC 9126). This bayonet mounted lamp lit for a few
seconds and then went dead.
I cannot find a circuit for it on the net. It has 2
semiconductors with E13003 on both. What is this
semiconductor? They measure short circuit
across 2 of the pins. Surely they must be faulty. A
schematic diagram would help. ==Sammy==

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sammy" wrote in message
I bought a 240V, 26W fluorescent lamp marketed by Omicron
(type OMC 9126). This bayonet mounted lamp lit for a few
seconds and then went dead.
I cannot find a circuit for it on the net. It has 2
semiconductors with E13003 on both. What is this
semiconductor? They measure short circuit
across 2 of the pins. Surely they must be faulty. A
schematic diagram would help. ==Sammy==

Last time I looked there were several schematics on the web - if you look in
the right places.

M.P. is correct about the MJE13003.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

unless its digital of course ;-)

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 22:05:45 +0000, ian field Has Frothed:

"Sammy" wrote in message
I bought a 240V, 26W fluorescent lamp marketed by Omicron
(type OMC 9126). This bayonet mounted lamp lit for a few seconds and
then went dead.
I cannot find a circuit for it on the net. It has 2 semiconductors with
E13003 on both. What is this semiconductor? They measure short circuit
across 2 of the pins. Surely they must be faulty. A schematic diagram
would help. ==Sammy==

Last time I looked there were several schematics on the web - if you look
in the right places.

M.P. is correct about the MJE13003.

Hey even a broken clock is right twice a day

COOSN-266-06-25794

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sammy" writes:

I bought a 240V, 26W fluorescent lamp marketed by Omicron
(type OMC 9126). This bayonet mounted lamp lit for a few
seconds and then went dead.
I cannot find a circuit for it on the net. It has 2
semiconductors with E13003 on both. What is this
semiconductor? They measure short circuit
across 2 of the pins. Surely they must be faulty. A
schematic diagram would help. ==Sammy==

As others have said, they are MJE13003s, a common bipolar power transistor.
But since the lamp lit for a few seconds, any replacements are likely to
blow as well. There is something else wrong with the ballast.

Why didn't you just take it back where you bought it?

--- sam
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sammy wrote:
I bought a 240V, 26W fluorescent lamp marketed by Omicron
(type OMC 9126). This bayonet mounted lamp lit for a few
seconds and then went dead.
I cannot find a circuit for it on the net. It has 2
semiconductors with E13003 on both. What is this
semiconductor? They measure short circuit
across 2 of the pins. Surely they must be faulty. A
schematic diagram would help. ==Sammy==

They may be fine, often chokes will show a short circuit measured in DC
resistance but are not so at the normal operating frequency. The
components are likely house marked so no information will be available,
most use NPN power transistors though.

If it isn't as simple as cracked solder joints, just return it to the
store, or if you've left signs of opening it up, chuck it in the bin and
buy a new one.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:07:22 GMT "Mike" wrote in
Message id: :

"Sammy" wrote in message
I bought a 240V, 26W fluorescent lamp marketed by Omicron
(type OMC 9126). This bayonet mounted lamp lit for a few seconds and
then went dead.
I cannot find a circuit for it on the net. It has 2 semiconductors with
E13003 on both. What is this semiconductor? They measure short circuit
across 2 of the pins. Surely they must be faulty. A schematic diagram
would help. ==Sammy==

Last time I looked there were several schematics on the web - if you look
in the right places.

M.P. is correct about the MJE13003.

Hey even a broken clock is right twice a day

unless its digital of course ;-)

That depends on what is broken.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

As others have said, they are MJE13003s, a common bipolar power
transistor.
But since the lamp lit for a few seconds, any replacements are likely to
blow as well. There is something else wrong with the ballast.

Why didn't you just take it back where you bought it?

--- sam

Years ago someone at a car boot sale came by a large quantity of Ikea CFLs
which were presumably factory seconds as they "dropped like flies", I waited
until the seller dropped the price from £2 to 50p - at the time the cheapest
in the shops was over £10. A significant proportion of the boot sale CFLs
blew due to faulty tubes, as I was in the habit of repairing them I
reconstructed a few with small straight tubes secured to the holes where the
original tubes entered the casing. with a ty-wrap and wired in.

By the time all the Ikea CFLs I bought had become BER the shop price had
fallen to about £6.50p, at this price they were still worth repairing but
more recently the Morrisons supermarket (UK) has been selling it's own brand
CFLs for £1.99p and a couple of months ago launched a promotion selling
Philips CFLs (regular price about £3.50p) at 99p in addition to that they
ran a buy one get one free for a while - so the CFLs were going out the door
for only 50p each! - I bought a couple of carrier bags full at that price,
at that price there's no way I'm going to bother repairing any that fail and
the cost of petrol to go and return it would be more than the value of the
goods!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"ian field" wrote in message

Morrisons supermarket (UK) has been selling it's own brand CFLs for £1.99p
and a couple of months ago launched a promotion selling Philips CFLs
(regular price about £3.50p) at 99p in addition to that they ran a buy one
get one free for a while - so the CFLs were going out the door for only
50p each! - I bought a couple of carrier bags full at that price, at that
price there's no way I'm going to bother repairing any that fail and the
cost of petrol to go and return it would be more than the value of the
goods!

Yeah. I've found good US ones for 99 cents on super sale - nice phosphor.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

Hey even a broken clock is right twice a day

Hah! My bedroom clock radio decided on Sunday morning that it was time
to "fall back" to standard time. Apparently it didn't know we don't do
that here in most of Arizona. There is no way to disable this
auto-resetting behavior either. Had to set the clock to a different
time zone to get the correct time.

Don't you hate it when your appliances think they're smarter than you
are?

Jerry

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks for the info and to all who replied.
I find there is a fusible resistor(?) gone o/c aswell.
Repair set aside for the moment.
Why didn't I return it to the store for exchange? . I
bought it at IKEA in Bristol, but live in Ireland.
==Sammy==

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sammy" wrote in message

Thanks for the info and to all who replied.
I find there is a fusible resistor(?) gone o/c aswell.
Repair set aside for the moment.
Why didn't I return it to the store for exchange? . I
bought it at IKEA in Bristol, but live in Ireland.

Have they opened the Belfast store yet?

--
+ Required crap appended to avoid restrictions imposed by brain +