Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need to clear TRAP flag on plasma PDP-504PU.

PDP-504PU (Type: TUCK)

Just called and they don't support plasma (huh?).

Our shop is pioneer authorized shop and downloaded that service manual
to look for info on clear the TRAP trip flag. Got it that, clearing
TRAP section but huh? No info on entering into factory service mode
in order to clear this TRAP flag. The FSM says have to enter into
service mode first via jig or remote (even service manual left out the
details for entering into service mode by substituting that with
"Know-how"!).

Due to nature of this sensitive info due to DMCA thing, best to email
me directly.

Thanks & Cheers, Wizard
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jason D." wrote in message

The FSM says have to enter into
service mode first via jig or remote (even service manual left out the
details for entering into service mode by substituting that with
"Know-how"!).

Apparently one TV I have (Konka) to get into service I need to open the
remote and look for an 'extra' button!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e... edb116e787ca

Denying an independent technician access to service info and spares is
one thing, but going to the extent of rigging the set with booby traps
is pushing it too far. This Just reflects poorly on the mental make up
of the designers and top shots in these organisations, they obviously
lack a conscience and have issues with morality. I've convinced 8
customers ever since that pioneer and jvc are bad buys and succesfully
diverted them to other brands. So you wanna mess with us techies huh ?.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jango2" wrote in message
ps.com...
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e... edb116e787ca

Denying an independent technician access to service info and spares is
one thing, but going to the extent of rigging the set with booby traps
is pushing it too far. This Just reflects poorly on the mental make up
of the designers and top shots in these organisations, they obviously
lack a conscience and have issues with morality. I've convinced 8
customers ever since that pioneer and jvc are bad buys and succesfully
diverted them to other brands. So you wanna mess with us techies huh ?.

And what good did it do? Pioneer and JVC aren't the only companies whos
product uses a trap switch. The switch is there because hollywood
successfully lobbied to get it put there by law. Some products use other
schemes, some more secure and some less. Fact is once you know the switch is
there, or in the case of JVC optical sensor, you can cover it with a .02
cent piece of tape. Surely any tech worth his pay can find the switch
easily. RCA DLP's use a coded number passed on the HDMI cable from the
signal board to the light engine and shut down data transmission if the
cable is unplugged. Far as I can see none of these schemes are truly secure,
they just keep the average joe from copying content, much like a lock keeps
honest people honest. A crook will circumvent it anyway.

Quite honestly it isn't the manufacturer you should look at on this, it's
the Hollywood guys.

Personally as a tech I like the trap switch, because you sure know when
John Q Public has been screwing with the inside of the set!

Jammy

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jango2" wrote in message
ps.com...

Denying an independent technician access to service info and spares is
one thing, but going to the extent of rigging the set with booby traps
is pushing it too far. This Just reflects poorly on the mental make up
of the designers and top shots in these organisations, they obviously
lack a conscience and have issues with morality. I've convinced 8
customers ever since that pioneer and jvc are bad buys and succesfully
diverted them to other brands. So you wanna mess with us techies huh ?.

I remember this was a joke article in Radio Electronics maybe 40+ years
ago - the "Little Wonder" TV would burn a VOID message on its own screen if
tampered with.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
EDM EDM is offline

"ampdoc" wrote in message .. .

"jango2" wrote in message
ps.com...

[...]

John Q Public has every right to 'screw with the inside of
the set', since he's the owner of it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

EDM wrote:

John Q Public has every right to 'screw with the inside of
the set', since he's the owner of it.

And to lie when he claims he hasn't been inside making things worse?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
EDM EDM is offline

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message ...
EDM wrote:

John Q Public has every right to 'screw with the inside of
the set', since he's the owner of it.

And to lie when he claims he hasn't been inside making things worse?

A decent repairman doesn't care about that. Give John a
damned quote, let him make the decision to either allow you
to fix his set or find someone else, and stop wagging your
penis at him.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

EDM wrote:

John Q Public has every right to 'screw with the inside of
the set', since he's the owner of it.

And to lie when he claims he hasn't been inside making things worse?

A decent repairman doesn't care about that. Give John a
damned quote, let him make the decision to either allow you
to fix his set or find someone else, and stop wagging your
penis at him.

Keep it in your pants, pervert. I'm sick of idiots that think its ok
to trash something, then claim its untouched.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell spake thus:

EDM wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell"
wrote in message ...

EDM wrote:

John Q Public has every right to 'screw with the inside of
the set', since he's the owner of it.

And to lie when he claims he hasn't been inside making things worse?

A decent repairman doesn't care about that. Give John a
damned quote, let him make the decision to either allow you
to fix his set or find someone else, and stop wagging your
penis at him.

Keep it in your pants, pervert. I'm sick of idiots that think its ok
to trash something, then claim its untouched.

What do you care? Are you running a repair business or a counseling service?

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

What do you care? Are you running a repair business or a counseling service?

I have run, and owned several electronics repair businesses. I have
worked in electronics manufacturing where someone returned a $20,000
piece of equipment for warranty repair after they screwed it up. It was
poorly packed, and suffered over $1000 in shipping damage. there was
hardware missing from the inside, and there was obvious damage done with
a soldering iron. Other hardware was stripped, and in general, it took
longer to repair the radio than it would have to built a new one. "Joe
screwdriver" jobs are a royal pain in the ass. They twist controls,
break slugs in coils and do other stupid things, "Because they own it".

What have you ever done other than whine?

Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

Take your own advise. The planet will thank you.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

What do you care? Are you running a repair business or a counseling service?

I have run, and owned several electronics repair businesses. I have
worked in electronics manufacturing where someone returned a $20,000
piece of equipment for warranty repair after they screwed it up. It was
poorly packed, and suffered over $1000 in shipping damage. there was
hardware missing from the inside, and there was obvious damage done with
a soldering iron. Other hardware was stripped, and in general, it took
longer to repair the radio than it would have to built a new one. "Joe
screwdriver" jobs are a royal pain in the ass. They twist controls,
break slugs in coils and do other stupid things, "Because they own it".

So let me understand this: you got a piece of equipment in for warranty
repair after the buyer had clearly been inside it and ****ed things up,
correct? It sounds to me as if *you* are the whiner he why on earth
did you (or the company you worked for) accept the equipment in the
first place? Didn't it have one of those stickers warning that such
actions would void the warranty? Wasn't this a clear violation of the
terms of the warranty?

I think you have no complaint, unless I'm really grossly
misunderstanding the situation.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

So let me understand this: you got a piece of equipment in for warranty
repair after the buyer had clearly been inside it and ****ed things up,
correct? It sounds to me as if *you* are the whiner he why on earth
did you (or the company you worked for) accept the equipment in the
first place? Didn't it have one of those stickers warning that such
actions would void the warranty? Wasn't this a clear violation of the
terms of the warranty?

Never worked for a defense contractor? You don't refuse a return
from a government agency.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

So let me understand this: you got a piece of equipment in for warranty
repair after the buyer had clearly been inside it and ****ed things up,
correct? It sounds to me as if *you* are the whiner he why on earth
did you (or the company you worked for) accept the equipment in the
first place? Didn't it have one of those stickers warning that such
actions would void the warranty? Wasn't this a clear violation of the
terms of the warranty?

Never worked for a defense contractor? You don't refuse a return
from a government agency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

So let me understand this: you got a piece of equipment in for warranty
repair after the buyer had clearly been inside it and ****ed things up,
correct? It sounds to me as if *you* are the whiner he why on earth
did you (or the company you worked for) accept the equipment in the
first place? Didn't it have one of those stickers warning that such
actions would void the warranty? Wasn't this a clear violation of the
terms of the warranty?

Never worked for a defense contractor? You don't refuse a return
from a government agency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

So you have no answer? Plonk.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

So let me understand this: you got a piece of equipment in for warranty
repair after the buyer had clearly been inside it and ****ed things up,
correct? It sounds to me as if *you* are the whiner he why on earth
did you (or the company you worked for) accept the equipment in the
first place? Didn't it have one of those stickers warning that such
actions would void the warranty? Wasn't this a clear violation of the
terms of the warranty?

Never worked for a defense contractor? You don't refuse a return
from a government agency.

No, I haven't, and am not likely ever to.

But that has nothing to do with Joe Blow Citizen and his consumer gear,
whom we were talking about before, prodding and poking the insides of
his television receiver, or stereo, or whatever: in which case you
surely can invoke the terms of the warranty, no? So your argument here
is irrelevant.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

plonk

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Plonk? Horse ****. I was a tech for an authorized Panasonic repair depot
in the seventies, and we had STRICT guidelines for warranty repairs. If we
saw ANY indication of user tampering/unauthorized repair, we immediately
called the customer and notified Panasonic. We usually worked things out,
if the customer would cooperate. Otherwise, all bets were off on warranty
repairs.

Now this is a real world answer to the situation posed by the original
poster.
regards,
Tom

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"t.hoehler" wrote:

Now this is a real world answer to the situation posed by the original
poster.

I did warranty work on about 20 brands of electronics in the 70s and
'80s, and I saw the same things done to cheap consumer crap that I saw
on high end defense electronics.

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

http://www.trapflag.com/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Land wrote:

http://www.trapflag.com/

What does that have to do with "Joe Screwdriver" impaling a piece of
equipment?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I got this response to my trap switch posts from a real kind gentleman
with a non functional email addy. Good work Darren.

I am not sure if you ever fixed your problem with the pioneer trap
switch.

I had the exact same problem as you, and I was just replacing the
internal fan.

After many hours of searching on the internet, I finally found the fix.

Using the remote control this is what you would need to do (the TV
needs to be in standby

1 - Press the display button once (do not hold, just press and then
release. If not present on your model of remote, then press the button
directly underneath "9" and release)

2 - Wait about 3 seconds after step one and then press (in order):
left - up - left - right - power

The service menu will come up. From here you could tune the television
if desired, but as far as the trap switch is concerned....it is
unlocked!!!!!!!

Just turn the TV off using the power function of the remote control.
Now the TV should operate as normal.....

Please let me know you received this email. I was not sure how to make
a post to your thread on "Google groups," but I did see you asked
around for several months trying to figure it out. Please post this
information for everyone to see, you can even take credit I am just
happy to have my set working again.

Darren

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...rch+this+group

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...rch+this+group