Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Yamaha RX-V470

Hi,

I've had this receiver for a number of years and am quite happy with it
overall.

A bit of usage history.

I use my receiver for AM/FM listening, CD's as well as movies and TV.
I run everything through it.

A few months ago while watching TV and Movies (DVD,VHS) the sound
started switching on and off randomly, however the music side is still
working properly. you could actually hear the part inside switch on
and off.......If I knew what part it is I could replace it.....

Can anyone please help???

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"digdug" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I've had this receiver for a number of years and am quite happy with it
overall.

A bit of usage history.

I use my receiver for AM/FM listening, CD's as well as movies and TV.
I run everything through it.

A few months ago while watching TV and Movies (DVD,VHS) the sound
started switching on and off randomly, however the music side is still
working properly. you could actually hear the part inside switch on
and off.......If I knew what part it is I could replace it.....

Can anyone please help???

What you are probably hearing switching on and off, is the speaker
protection relay, but it is unlikely to be because the relay itself is
faulty. Although in saying that, I did have one a few months back where a
very similar problem was being caused by the main power transformer control
relay having burnt contacts. It would randomly click, and drop back to
standby, and then go through the power up sequence again, sometimes
successfully, sometimes not. I have also had bad joints on relay coil
connections for both standby and output protection relays.

I don't really understand what you mean by " the music is still working
properly ". If you mean that any source going through the amp carries on
uninterupted, then it will, no matter what the amp is up to. Assuming that
the amp does not appear to be actually switching off, then I think what you
are hearing is probably the output protect relay doing its job. This could
be for one of two basic reasons. Either the amp is faulty, and some level of
DC is appearing on one of the output channels or, one of the speakers is
faulty, and on heavy bass, is imposing an abnormal load on the output, which
the protection circuitry will also sense. I have had this on many occasions
with many makes and models. You can try disconnecting the speakers one at a
time, and if this seems to effect a cure, go on to swap them. If it is not
the speakers, then without in-depth experience of this type of equipment,
you will struggle to fix it and will have to take it to a repair shop.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thank you for the reply...

I don't think I was overly thorough in explaining what it does...
The whole unit doesn't power off, the sound just clicks on and off but
only when the signal is pumped out throught the Monitor setting.
The system works fine throught the tuner side...as well as through the
CD player is fine.

Thanx again.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

digdug wrote:
Thank you for the reply...

I don't think I was overly thorough in explaining what it does...
The whole unit doesn't power off, the sound just clicks on and off but
only when the signal is pumped out throught the Monitor setting.
The system works fine throught the tuner side...as well as through the
CD player is fine.

Thanx again.

You press the "monitor" button and the speaker relay cuts off?

If so, this is a DC shift through the circuit, maybe a bad switch IC.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
digdug wrote:
Thank you for the reply...

I don't think I was overly thorough in explaining what it does...
The whole unit doesn't power off, the sound just clicks on and off but
only when the signal is pumped out throught the Monitor setting.
The system works fine throught the tuner side...as well as through the
CD player is fine.

Thanx again.

You press the "monitor" button and the speaker relay cuts off?

If so, this is a DC shift through the circuit, maybe a bad switch IC.

Mark Z.

Yes, while in "monitor" mode to listen to movies or tv the sound will
intermitently cut in and out....but it does not while in "tuner" or
"cd" mode.

Doug C.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"digdug" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
digdug wrote:
Thank you for the reply...

I don't think I was overly thorough in explaining what it does...
The whole unit doesn't power off, the sound just clicks on and off but
only when the signal is pumped out throught the Monitor setting.
The system works fine throught the tuner side...as well as through the
CD player is fine.

Thanx again.

You press the "monitor" button and the speaker relay cuts off?

If so, this is a DC shift through the circuit, maybe a bad switch IC.

Mark Z.

Yes, while in "monitor" mode to listen to movies or tv the sound will
intermitently cut in and out....but it does not while in "tuner" or
"cd" mode.

Doug C.

I've never been a great lover of TV sets connected to audio gear. Far to
many iffy grounds at odd potentials. As the system apparently works ok from
the CD, you could try disconnecting the TV set from the input sockets you
are using, and connecting the CD player instead. Go back into monitor mode,
and see if the system still cuts in and out with a CD playing. That will at
least tell you if it is a definite amp issue, or something external.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

digdug wrote:
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
digdug wrote:
Thank you for the reply...

I don't think I was overly thorough in explaining what it does...
The whole unit doesn't power off, the sound just clicks on and off
but only when the signal is pumped out throught the Monitor setting.
The system works fine throught the tuner side...as well as through
the CD player is fine.

Thanx again.

You press the "monitor" button and the speaker relay cuts off?

If so, this is a DC shift through the circuit, maybe a bad switch IC.

Mark Z.

Yes, while in "monitor" mode to listen to movies or tv the sound will
intermitently cut in and out....but it does not while in "tuner" or
"cd" mode.

Doug C.

Is it a mechanical pushbutton (push in, push out) or a soft-touch
"tact-switch" ?

If it's a mechanical switch, the contacts could just be cutting out.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
digdug wrote:
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
digdug wrote:
[...]

it is a soft touch style switch....but I'm thinking that it must
control a switch of sorts inside the unit.....because I can hear it
click when the sound goes on and off.

Doug

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"digdug" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
digdug wrote:
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
digdug wrote:
[...]

To go back to the start. The click you are hearing is probably the output
protect relay, which is not controlled as a result of operating any front
panel switches, per se. As has been suggested, a relay in this position
might drop in and out as a result of bad switch contacts, if it is a
mechanical switch. Such bad contacts can cause a small DC shift in the early
stages of the amp, which becomes a big shift at the output, and is hence
detected by the circuit which drives this relay, as a fault. However, with
your selector switch being a tact type, this is an unlikely scenario for
this case.

If you normally get a quiet click from inside, when you operate this switch,
then there may be a small signal relay in the path, and this may be dropping
in and out for whatever reason, but if you hear a loud mechanical click from
inside the unit when the problem occurs, then it is a power relay that is
opening and closing, not a small signal one. Either way, from the replies
that you have made to the various suggestions, I would guess that this
problem is going to turn out to be beyond your level of expertise, if it is
indeed internal to the amp, so your best path would be to take it inro a
reputable repair shop.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"digdug" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
digdug wrote:
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
digdug wrote:
[...]

It won't be the speaker output relay cutting out as the protection circuit
in these trips the whole unit into standby should a fault occur.

I've occasionally seen dry joints on the regulators on these and that could
cause any number of problems.
Check the soldering on all the 3 pin regs bolted to the aluminium heatsinks.

Andrew

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cliff top wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]