Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Yamaha RX-V470

"digdug" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I've had this receiver for a number of years and am quite happy with it
overall.

A bit of usage history.

I use my receiver for AM/FM listening, CD's as well as movies and TV.
I run everything through it.

A few months ago while watching TV and Movies (DVD,VHS) the sound
started switching on and off randomly, however the music side is still
working properly. you could actually hear the part inside switch on
and off.......If I knew what part it is I could replace it.....

Can anyone please help???

What you are probably hearing switching on and off, is the speaker
protection relay, but it is unlikely to be because the relay itself is
faulty. Although in saying that, I did have one a few months back where a
very similar problem was being caused by the main power transformer control
relay having burnt contacts. It would randomly click, and drop back to
standby, and then go through the power up sequence again, sometimes
successfully, sometimes not. I have also had bad joints on relay coil
connections for both standby and output protection relays.

I don't really understand what you mean by " the music is still working
properly ". If you mean that any source going through the amp carries on
uninterupted, then it will, no matter what the amp is up to. Assuming that
the amp does not appear to be actually switching off, then I think what you
are hearing is probably the output protect relay doing its job. This could
be for one of two basic reasons. Either the amp is faulty, and some level of
DC is appearing on one of the output channels or, one of the speakers is
faulty, and on heavy bass, is imposing an abnormal load on the output, which
the protection circuitry will also sense. I have had this on many occasions
with many makes and models. You can try disconnecting the speakers one at a
time, and if this seems to effect a cure, go on to swap them. If it is not
the speakers, then without in-depth experience of this type of equipment,
you will struggle to fix it and will have to take it to a repair shop.

Arfa