Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony Vega LCD bigscreen 6 red flashes - fix

Hi. Here is a fix for you if you haven't seen it before. I know the pros
have so this might help some of the smaller shops that don't get these big
Sony lcd sets every day. This fixes the Sony Grand Vega lcd. I don't
remember the exact model number but should cover many of them.

Symptom is this - push power button and it begins flashing red. 6 times. You
can repeat and recount if need be. 6 red flashes.

What the problem is - the light bulb temp sensor is open. This causes this
symptom.

How to fix - order new one from Sony. About 5 dollars. I try and keep in
stock a couple. It is a totally different design. The old one looks like a
microwave or dryer heat sensor. The new version is a tiny little thing
attached to 2 wires, which have protective covers over the wires, which may
have a higher heat setting. I have heard the originals were set too low.

Changing is easy. You will need to remove the back cover, then remove
the rear fan and duct assembly. Get down low and you will see the sensor on
a plastic cover under the light bulb. Cooling air flows across bulb then
down to the sensor and on to fan. To remove the sensor, I used a medium size
Phillips screwdriver insert, 1 inch long, with 1/4 inch hex drive design,
and a 1/4 inch open end wrench. This allows access to mounting screws, but
it is still a tight fit. Find a comfortable laying position before removing
the sensor to avoid a cramp. Remove the 2 screws and the old sensor. Follow
wire to board where plugged in, and disconnect. Verify bad, open.

Take your new sensor, that you verified good, closed short, when you got
it from Sony. It will not bolt down like old sensor did, as it is tiny and
has no mounting holes. What I do is take a 1/2 inch fender washer, put one
screw through washer and start into right side mounting hole. Hold washer up
and feed sensor wires with protective covering under the washer. Tighten
screw to fairly snug but not too tight, as to avoid pinching these wires.
Plug into board where old sensor was plugged in. Put fan and duct group back
in. Hang back cover with a couple of screws, plug it in and try it. Should
work fine. A green power light is a good sign. While it warms up, make sure
rear fan blows air out. Picture should show up shortly and you are back in
business.

I have heard of some people using double sided tape and sticking new sensor
to the old one. I haven't tried that.

I hope this information is helpful to someone out here.

Danny

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Good one. 'cept my experience is those power red light flashing codes
ain't worth a hill of beans. Towit they are to general and could cover
a whole gauntlet of things. Like 4 flashes.
wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art Art is offline

BTW Danny, did you actually follow the rest of SONY's bulletin regarding
adjusting the run speeds of the fans, etc??
oups.com...
wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"ray13" wrote in message
oups.com...
Good one. 'cept my experience is those power red light flashing codes
ain't worth a hill of beans. Towit they are to general and could cover
a whole gauntlet of things. Like 4 flashes.

I find that they can be very useful. If you understand the way they work
they can save a lot of time in troubleshooting. They are not a substitute
for understanding the circuit and making the right observations,
measurement, and analysis...just one more piece of information. A scope
ani't worth a hill of beans either if you don't know how to use it or if you
expect it to do all of the work for you.

Leonard

It has removed 570 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!