Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony monitor - intensive screen flashes after power on

My six years old Sony G400 monitor exhibits following problem. After
power on (or going on from standby mode) the screen produces several
short flashes for approximately 15 seconds. The flashes are extremly
intensive and have blue color with nearly ten times higher brightness
than normal maximum brightness. After this sequence monitor operates
without any problems.

The monitor was already repaired two years ago (different problem) so
another repair probably woudn't make sense. Should I fear it can
explode one day ? :-)

Petr

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"PetrV" wrote in message
ups.com...
My six years old Sony G400 monitor exhibits following problem. After
power on (or going on from standby mode) the screen produces several
short flashes for approximately 15 seconds. The flashes are extremly
intensive and have blue color with nearly ten times higher brightness
than normal maximum brightness. After this sequence monitor operates
without any problems.

The monitor was already repaired two years ago (different problem) so
another repair probably woudn't make sense. Should I fear it can
explode one day ? :-)

Petr

Sounds like a short in the CRT, ie a grid short on the blue gun. If it gets
to the point where it happens all the time (which it probably will) then the
CRT could well be scrap. Replacement is not an option.

CRT shorts can sometimes be cleared by a CRT rejuvenator, but that would
mean putting it into a TV repair shop and hoping they have a rejuvenator
with the right socket for your CRT. It may not be worth it financially
though.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Swampy wrote:
discharge at inital start up. Wonder if it has happend from when you
got it back from repair or only recently. In any case still sounds like

It has happened recently. The repair two years ago was (typical) FD
Trinitron brightness problem where you can not set brightness down and
there were also few diagonal lines visible on the screen. I brought it
to the Sony repair center where they fixed it and adjusted the screen
focus and convergnce so the picture is excellent now.

It seems I can live with the problem, sometimes the monitor even
switches off during the initial flashing sequence.

I know LCDs are current technology but if there were 19" with 1600x1200
resolution or better ...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave D wrote:
Sounds like a short in the CRT, ie a grid short on the blue gun. If it gets
to the point where it happens all the time (which it probably will) then the
CRT could well be scrap. Replacement is not an option.

I see, I can expect it will become permanent problem (not on startup
only) after a while ?

Petr.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"PetrV" wrote in message
ups.com...
Dave D wrote:
Sounds like a short in the CRT, ie a grid short on the blue gun. If it
gets
to the point where it happens all the time (which it probably will) then
the
CRT could well be scrap. Replacement is not an option.

I see, I can expect it will become permanent problem (not on startup
only) after a while ?

Petr.

It's likely the CRT will fail rapidly, depending on the frequency of the
flashes. The more it does it, the more damage the blue electron gun will
endure, until it fails altogether. There's nothing you can really do about
it I'm sorry to say. Even if the intermittent short could be blasted out,
which they sometimes can, it's doubtful whether the CRT will last much
longer anyway.

There's also the possibilty of damage to the video amps due to the
flashover, which could mean either no blue or blue full on, both of which
would render the monitor unusable.

Dave

Power Supply Repair fernando1222 Electronics Repair 0 June 7th 05 09:18 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Sony KV-2782R and 2785R, power supply problems. Michael Parker Electronics Repair 1 October 23rd 03 08:56 AM
Sony KV-2782R Power supply, and KV-2785R same. John Wright Electronics Repair 0 October 23rd 03 02:15 AM
Identify 2 zenerdiodes on a Sony Playstation 2 power supply Patrick Craenen Electronics Repair 0 October 3rd 03 02:25 PM